Quigley

ITALY (Botteghino): 'Minions 2' on course to become biggest film of 2022

The first film was an interesting case because it came out on Christmas day, 10 days after the USA release, and it didn't even reach a x2 multiplier since it had a 6 day opening weekend plus some competition

The sequel should be able to double it, and let's see how it does today which is holiday 

Edited by MG10
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JustLurking said:

Good bump for mermaid but mediocre one for sv

833403 mermaid

693524 sv

probably only a tad above 2M for the 4-day

The second day of the first movie (which was on 26 December) grossed 470k for Mymovies and 500k for Cineguru, so that's a good increase but not as much as the first day

That one guy was providing non stop TLM updates for Italy since release day and kept reiterating how much of a flop it was. He was on it everyday, until it started seeing decent holds.. where did he go? Did something change?

Weekend

Jun 1-4

1. TLM €2.9m (tot. €8.5m) (-20.2%)

2. Spiderman €2.4m (OW)

3. Fast X €0.9m (tot 10.9m) (-48.2%)

The Fast Saga in Italy

1. F7 €18.7m
2. F8 €14.8m

3. F6 €12.9m

4. FX €10.9m

5. F5 €10.9m

6. F4 €8.4m

7. F9 €4.9m (covid, released 3 months after Korea, 2 months after USA)

8. F3 €3.4m

9. F1 €2.8m

10. F2 €2.8m

Hobbs&Shaw €6.4m

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zamor said:

Weekend

Jun 1-4

1. TLM €2.9m (tot. €8.5m) (-20.2%)

2. Spiderman €2.4m (OW)

3. Fast X €0.9m (tot 10.9m) (-48.2%)

The Fast Saga in Italy

1. F7 €18.7m
2. F8 €14.8m

3. F6 €12.9m

4. FX €10.9m

5. F5 €10.9m

6. F4 €8.4m

7. F9 €4.9m (covid, released 3 months after Korea, 2 months after USA)

8. F3 €3.4m

9. F1 €2.8m

10. F2 €2.8m

Hobbs&Shaw €6.4m

The situtation for the Little Mermaid is getting much better, will surely pass both Dumbo and Jungle Book now

For other movies, Rapito by Bellocchio was on par with last weekend (450k euros and -1%), and the total is now over 1M

• Like 1

I can hardly believe it but it's already been year and half since the last time I posted it, so here it is updated:

Box office of MCU movies in Italy:

Phase I  (2008-2012)

Iron Man - €7M

The Incredible Hulk - €4M

Iron Man 2 - €8.2M

Thor - €7.5M

Captain America - €6.2M

The Avengers - €18M

Phase II  (2013-2015)

Iron Man 3 - €16.1M

Thor 2 - €8.4M

Captain America 2 - €7.1M

Guardians of the Galaxy - €5.6M

Avengers: Age of Ultron - €16.6M

Ant-Man - €4.7M

Phase III  (2016-2019)

Captain America: Civil War - €11.3M

Doctor Strange - €7.3M

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - €7.1M

Spider-man: Homecoming - €8.6M

Thor: Ragnarok - €8.8M

Black Panther - €7.2M

Avengers: Infinity War - €18.8M

Ant-Man 2 - €4.9M

Captain Marvel - €10.2M

Avengers: Endgame - €30.3M

Spider-man: Far From Home - €11.8M

Phase IV  (2021-2022)

Black Widow - €4.8M

Shang Chi - €3.8M

Eternals - €8.4M

Spider-man: No Way Home - €24.9M

Doctor Strange 2 - €13.7M

Thor 4 - €10.8M

Black Panther 2 - €8.5M

Phase V (2023-)

Ant Man 3 - €6M

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - €10.7M*

Edited by MG10
  • Like 4

On 6/4/2023 at 11:03 PM, ando said:

That one guy was providing non stop TLM updates for Italy since release day and kept reiterating how much of a flop it was. He was on it everyday, until it started seeing decent holds.. where did he go? Did something change?

No I'm still here, I have been super busy lately.

Update:

220k For TLM day 13 here in Italy.

Total gross so far : 8.728.724 M Euros.  

Comp at day 13:

- 2,8M Euros VS Aladdin (ended its run with 15.5 M)

- 400K vs Maleficent (ended its run with 14 M)

+ 900K  vs Dumbo (ended its run with 11M)

Some nice holds for Little mermaid in the past week, mostly thanks to the festive friday. It's still WAY below Aladdin (a stunning -25% at this point), below Maleficent (even more impressive considering that Maleficent is almost 10 years old) and a bit ahead of Dumbo which, however, was released in late march and had a big easter bump on its day 17, which TLM is not going to match.

It's still on course for a total tally of 10-13M Euros, depending on the weather in the upcoming weeks. As you can see, still a flop (unless we consider selling LESS tickets than freaking DUMBO a success).

I might add that it's also about 40% down VS BATB and 65% down VS TLK at the same point, just to give you all the complete picture of how strong the other live actions were here in Italy and how weak this actually is. 

It's also faring worse than Cinderella, of course.  

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

No I'm still here, I have been super busy lately.

Update:

220k For TLM day 13 here in Italy.

Total gross so far : 8.728.724 M Euros.  

Comp at day 13:

- 2,8M Euros VS Aladdin (ended its run with 15.5 M)

- 400K vs Maleficent (ended its run with 14 M)

+ 900K  vs Dumbo (ended its run with 11M)

Some nice holds for Little mermaid in the past week, mostly thanks to the festive friday. It's still WAY below Aladdin (a stunning -25% at this point), below Maleficent (even more impressive considering that Maleficent is almost 10 years old) and a bit ahead of Dumbo which, however, was released in late march and had a big easter bump on its day 17, which TLM is not going to match.

It's still on course for a total tally of 10-13M Euros, depending on the weather in the upcoming weeks. As you can see, still a flop (unless we consider selling LESS tickets than freaking DUMBO a success).

I might add that it's also about 40% down VS BATB and 65% down VS TLK at the same point, just to give you all the complete picture of how strong the other live actions were here in Italy and how weak this actually is. 

It's also faring worse than Cinderella, of course.  

If Dumbo had a decent total then it had a decent total, regardless of the fact it was dumbo.

TLK is your 8th biggest grosser ever. 65% down that isn't a flop no matter how much you say so. The numbers aren't amazing sure but that's about it. Bit weird how much you're ragging on it. 

Edited by ogkalu
  • Like 3

On 6/5/2023 at 9:23 PM, MG10 said:

I can hardly believe it but it's already been year and half since the last time I posted it, so here it is updated:

Phase I  (2008-2012)

Iron Man - €7M

Iron Man 2 - €8.2M

Thor - €7.5M

Captain America - €6.2M

The Avengers - €18M

Phase II  (2013-2015)

Iron Man 3 - €16.1M

Thor 2 - €8.4M

Ant-Man - €4.7M

Phase III  (2016-2019)

Doctor Strange - €7.3M

Black Panther - €7.2M

Ant-Man 2 - €4.9M

Captain Marvel - €10.2M

Phase IV  (2021-2022)

Black Widow - €4.8M

Shang Chi - €3.8M

Eternals - €8.4M

Thor 4 - €10.8M

Black Panther 2 - €8.5M

Phase V (2023-)

Ant Man 3 - €6M

Italy gotta be market with very low growth for some reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ogkalu said:

If Dumbo had a decent total then it had a decent total, regardless of the fact it was dumbo.

TLK is your 8th biggest grosser ever. 65% down that isn't a flop no matter how much you say so. The numbers aren't amazing sure but that's about it. Bit weird how much you're ragging on it. 

It's about putting things in perspective.

The disney live action brand is a staple here in Italy, every and each live action (bar the covid ones) remake has had a gross of about 15M euros or more, with Dumbo being the lowest bar at 11M. 

The little mermaid as an animated movie might not be as popular as Aladdin or The Lion King, but it's still well ahead in popularity if compared to something like Dumbo. 

If an original movie had a gross of 10+M euros, like let's say Everything Everywhere all at once, then sure it would be a huge success.

But this is basically perceived as a "sequel" in a franchise, much like anyhthing in the Marvel  or Star wars universe.

So yes, it is a flop given the expectations, the circumstances and the brand it belongs to. Aladdin itself was labeled as a disappointement after it failed to reach 20 M euros, which was the expected outcome given the previous performances of comps like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast.

The  live action fatigue is pretty much a real thing if you look at the datas.  I might be "ragging" on it but I'm the only one is actually providing the numbers to comparable titles, which is how a box office analysis should be done.

But if you or anyone else think that being the live action remake with the lowest number of total spectators isn't a flop then what can I do.

I simply think that we can't apply the same rules to every market. This movie is flopping hard in so many markets that it might seem succesful here in Italy by comparison, but how can we forget that Italy is a family-friendly fantasy-friendly market?

Even the nutcracker and the four realms almost hit 10 M euros here, and had more spectators than the little mermaid (due to inflaction).

Edited by ThePrinceIsOnFire
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

It's about putting things in perspective.

The disney live action brand is a staple here in Italy, every and each live action (bar the covid ones) remake has had a gross of about 15M euros or more, with Dumbo being the lowest bar at 11M. 

The little mermaid as an animated movie might not be as popular as Aladdin or The Lion King, but it's still well ahead in popularity if compared to something like Dumbo. 

If an original movie had a gross of 10+M euros, like let's say Everything Everywhere all at once, then sure it would be a huge success.

But this is basically perceived as a "sequel" in a franchise, much like anyhthing in the Marvel  or Star wars universe.

So yes, it is a flop given the expectations, the circumstances and the brand it belongs to. Aladdin itself was labeled as a disappointement after it failed to reach 20 M euros, which was the expected outcome given the previous performances of comps like Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast.

The  live action fatigue is pretty much a real thing if you look at the datas.  I might be "ragging" on it but I'm the only one is actually providing the numbers to comparable titles, which is how a box office analysis should be done.

But if you or anyone else think that being the live action remake with the lowest number of total spectators isn't a flop then what can I do.

I simply think that we can't apply the same rules to every market. This movie is flopping hard in so many markets that it might seem succesful here in Italy by comparison, but how can we forget that Italy is a family-friendly fantasy-friendly market?

Even the nutcracker and the four realms almost hit 10 M euros here, and had more spectators than the little mermaid (due to inflaction).

In Italy I have the sensation that Aladdin isn't as popular as it should (and that's a pity since it's my favourite Disney movie) and The Little Mermaid is certainly in its same category

7 hours ago, ogkalu said:

Yeah we could say that while The Little Mermaid had all the potential to reach 1B but will finish with just 550M, in Italy finishing with 12/13M instead of 15/20M isn't such a huge difference

Edited by MG10

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Transformers had an embarassing OD opening at #3 on wednesday...

TLM 222.405

SpiderVerse 220.730

Transformers 199.179

Damn that's bad, but checking mymovies it seems the 2017 one made just 5M here so we couldn't expect much (plus the film is pretty bad by the reviews)

On 6/5/2023 at 5:53 PM, MG10 said:

Phase I  (2008-2012)

Iron Man - €7M

Iron Man 2 - €8.2M

Thor - €7.5M

Captain America - €6.2M

The Avengers - €18M

Phase II  (2013-2015)

Iron Man 3 - €16.1M

Thor 2 - €8.4M

Ant-Man - €4.7M

Phase III  (2016-2019)

Doctor Strange - €7.3M

Black Panther - €7.2M

Ant-Man 2 - €4.9M

Captain Marvel - €10.2M

Phase IV  (2021-2022)

Black Widow - €4.8M

Shang Chi - €3.8M

Eternals - €8.4M

Thor 4 - €10.8M

Black Panther 2 - €8.5M

Phase V (2023-)

Ant Man 3 - €6M

Really amazing for Guardians and awful for Antman3

Yesterday Transformers was finally first, at least for a day, with 304k euros vs the 303k of The Little Mermaid

From today till thursday 15 June cinema tickets will cost just 3.5 euros, and from what I've heard every Italian and European movie will cost max 6.5 euros till September (instead of the usual 7/8) when there will be another week at 3.5 for every movie