stuart360

Beowulf....what the hell?

Ok so Beowulf was on UK tv last night and i had never watched it before so i thought i would give it a shot.

How the hell did this film get a PG13 rating?. First of you have the tone of the film which is pretty dark and scary, you then have considerable graphic gore, graphic gore with people being eaten, eyes being popped, gushing blood etc. Next up you have plenty of nudity, Angelina Jolie is pretty much naked in all her scenes. And finaly you have the sexual innuendo, men asking for a quick 'gobble' off the young maidens, guys asking young maidens to heal their 'burning loins', young maidens talking about the size of beowulfs dick and his 'third leg' lol.

I know this is animated which will be a factor with certain stuff like the nudity but the excessive gore, scary tone and sexual innuendo is still there whether its animated or not.

Its almost like the MPAA just thought 'oh its an animated movie about Beowulf, its obviously a kids film' and just slapped a PG13 rating on it without even watching it it!. Crazy.

• Like 1

Jolie is clothed with umm...CGI paint. :mellow:

She still looks pretty much naked though, she may as well be nude in these shots.

(Mod edit: pics removed)

And the nudity is beside the point, the gore and Sexual innuendo is beyond any any PG13 movie before. What PG13 movie have you seen guys asking for a 'quick gobble'? lol.

Edited by ShawnMR

Yeah it deserved a stricter rating because of the gore. I guess the movie being animated gave it a pass but that rule seems outdated considering how realistic animation has become. Motion capture should be treated like a normal film when it comes to ratings. It all gets subjective I guess.

Looking at non-motion capture there's a scene in Alice in Wonderland where the mouse removes an eye with a sword. I would expect a scene like that to be edited out of a Disney movie. But considering the content people consume in video games and can easily look up on sites like youtube, the censors find it easy to push the boundaries of what's legit.

Probably the studio bought for a PG13 rating for this, if I say .... I mean, look, Beowulf has a budget of 150m. They had plenty money to secure a more mainstrean rating.

If it were a foreign animation, there would be no way not rating R. Foreign language films trend to get stricter ratings than domestic ones from MPAA.

For comparison, Akira was rated R in US. Beowulf is just as voilent as Akira.

Edited by firedeep

That is a body double from the neck down?  You sure?  Brad Pitt aint seeing nothing we all haven't seen on the big screen.  If it's not her, it looks pretty approximate. 

Of course it aint Angelina Jolie, if it is then the other guy is actually Ray Winstone lol

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Sorry Stuart, had to remove the images. In a great twist of irony, we received a violation warning from Google... due to nudity.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

When I first heard about the movie "Beowulf", I became very interested and started looking for various essays about this movie to better understand all the details and unclear points. At https://studydriver.com/beowulf-essay/ I found many free essays about the film. You can also find an essay on any topic or just order an essay. It is very convenient and simple.
After reading these essays, I became even more fascinated by the film and when I saw it for the first time I was a little disappointed, my expectations were high. But still, I think it's one of the best fantasy movies. I liked.