ddddeeee

Best Original Score - 2014

I'd certainly consider Zimmer for this, as long as his score actually sounds like the track they used in the trailer. Another contended, I'd say, is John Powell for How to Train Your Dragon. Yeah, sequels rarely get nominated but as long as the second score is half as good as the first one, It should get in easily.

• Like 3

I'd certainly consider Zimmer for this, as long as his score actually sounds like the track they used in the trailer. Another contended, I'd say, is John Powell for How to Train Your Dragon. Yeah, sequels rarely get nominated but as long as the second score is half as good as the first one, It should get in easily.

The issue isn't if it's good, it's that if it's "original". I imagine Powell will be reusing many of the themes from the first movie.

• Like 5

I would love to see Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman or James Newton Howard winning.

Newman has Get on up and The judge

Elfman has Big Eyes

Howard has Cut Bank, Maleficient and Pawn Sacrifice

• Like 1

I would love to see Thomas Newman, Danny Elfman or James Newton Howard winning.

Newman has Get on up and The judge

Elfman has Big Eyes

Howard has Cut Bank, Maleficient and Pawn Sacrifice

Agreed it's time we saw a veteran win again instead of the novelty scores that usually do, Danna's win was a great change of pace.

I'd jump with joy if Elfman, Desplat or Newman won.

i think Elfman's a good bet for a nom if the movie delivers. Harvey got him nominated for Good Will Hunting and the score didn't hit a single precursor. Plus they seem to respond to Elfman when he's stripped back.

I'd jump with joy if Elfman, Desplat or Newman won.

i think Elfman's a good bet for a nom if the movie delivers. Harvey got him nominated for Good Will Hunting and the score didn't hit a single precursor. Plus they seem to respond to Elfman when he's stripped back.

I would rather enjoy more a Newton Howard win, because he is really and constantly being underrated despite having one of the most outstanding composers career.

Curiously, many of his best scores are almost unknown. Peter Pan, Alive, Snow falling on Cedars (Tarawa!), Waterworld, Restoration, Dinosaur, Wyatt Earp, Dying Young...

I adore the scores to Dinosaur and Wyatt Earp. JNH has written some pretty great stuff.

I'd love to see Newman win one of these years, but I don't think Newman is going to be able to pull it off without a higher-profile Oscar bait project. I personally think that we could see Desplat winning an Oscar very soon. 

I would rather enjoy more a Newton Howard win, because he is really and constantly being underrated despite having one of the most outstanding composers career.

Curiously, many of his best scores are almost unknown. Peter Pan, Alive, Snow falling on Cedars (Tarawa!), Waterworld, Restoration, Dinosaur, Wyatt Earp, Dying Young...

Outside of Maleficent (outstanding) JNH has been in a rut for the last four years so I'd definitely prefer Desplat, Elfman and Newman to win beforehand.

I agree that JNH latest scores haven't been as great. I really liked THG and After Earth though.

Anyways, I think Newman and Elfman haven't done anything really outstanding either in the last few years. IMHO, the last trully amazing Newman score is Wall-E, and I usually have problems listening to Elfman score's as a whole.

Desplat is going to win very soon. We have to keep in mind that he is working with high profile Hollywood only since 2003. He maybe deserves an Oscar (I could argue about that), but not as an overdue like the other three.

It's a shame that this four composers are empty handed despite multiple nominations while worse composers already have an Oscar.