Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The question you have to ask yourself with stuff like 4dx is: Has the artist, the director, made the movie with this stuff in mind? Are the additional "features" properly integrated into that artists vision?

If the answer is no, then its a gimmick. Can be fun, but should not be considered a primary way of appreciating a movie.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Yep and anyone not impressed with 4dx should remember that not all 4dx meets the standard. Your going to love it Jimbo

I’ve seen many films in the format, and none of them should be anyone’s initial viewing of a film. It’s a distraction, nothing more.

As Crainy correctly stated, if the director didn’t plan on it being part of their film, then it is just a pointless gimmick, and none of the films presented in 4DX have been made with moving chairs and other effects in mind. The 4DX company make up the motion/effects files after the film has been completed, and often it doesn’t even correspond properly with what’s happening. Case in point, Independence Day Resurgence (awful film anyway) has moments in space where the chairs lazily listed from side to side, presumably to simulate zero G, it was awful and didn’t correspond with the on screen movements.

The fans that simulate the wind effects are also loud enough to be heard over the film, the strobe lights just take your eyes away from the screen, and the 3D is just regular old Real D 3D, complete with all the ghosting that you tend to find with that form of 3D, only it’s made worse because you’re actually moving.

People should temper their expectations a bit, it’s absolutely not the future of cinema, and neither is that terrible Screen X that Cineworld are currently pushing.

By all means, people should try it, but don’t expect anything groundbreaking.

Edited by SnokesLegs

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’ve seen many films in the format, and none of them should be anyone’s initial viewing of a film. It’s a distraction, nothing more.

As Crainy correctly stated, if the director didn’t plan on it being part of their film, then it is just a pointless gimmick, and none of the films presented in 4DX have been made with moving chairs and other effects in mind. The 4DX company make up the motion/effects files after the film has been completed, and often it doesn’t even correspond properly with what’s happening. Case in point, Independence Day Resurgence (awful film anyway) has moments in space where the chairs lazily listed from side to side, presumably to simulate zero G, it was awful and didn’t correspond with the on screen movements.

The fans that simulate the wind effects are also loud enough to be heard over the film, the strobe lights just take your eyes away from the screen, and the 3D is just regular old Real D 3D, complete with all the ghosting that you tend to find with that form of 3D, only it’s made worse because you’re actually moving.

People should temper their expectations a bit, it’s absolutely not the future of cinema, and neither is that terrible Screen X that Cineworld are currently pushing.

By all means, people should try it, but don’t expect anything groundbreaking.

Honestly, this kind of stuff is just trying to ape virtual reality. But movies arent the right medium for that and we have real virtual reality now. Which will, once fully realized, be probably the biggest cultural revelation since I dunno, photography. And just like books dont have to be movies, movies dont have to be virtual reality.

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

What a sad little man Scott is. Even Jim's failures are greater than anything that man will achieve in a thousand lifetimes. 

I wouldn't call that a fair call out because it applies to most people

• Haha 1

On 8/27/2018 at 4:42 PM, Crainy said:

Honestly, this kind of stuff is just trying to ape virtual reality. But movies arent the right medium for that and we have real virtual reality now. Which will, once fully realized, be probably the biggest cultural revelation since I dunno, photography. And just like books dont have to be movies, movies dont have to be virtual reality.

On 8/31/2018 at 7:14 AM, IronJimbo said:

I wouldn't call that a fair call out because it applies to most people

Thanks to new tech like 4dx and smellvision Jim is going to push us real close to a new form of sense of movie making meets virtual reality. No doubt about it we just got to wait to see what he's come up with Avatar 2.

When he says its going to have most folks going bat guano crazy. Im inclined to not doubt James Cameron. 😀😀

I mean 4dx alone made fast and the furious such an experience people fainted and others stood up and clapped and screamed. Imagine Jc using this standard and coming up with ideas of his own.  Its going to be the perfect merge of breakthrough movie making, music and storytelling.

The mega threepeat milestone of dominating the domestic and os bo records is coming for JC in 2020.

"They can be a great people"

"They wish to be."

" They only lack the light to show the way."

" It is this reason above all else, I give them you my only son!"

-Kal-ElofBom 2006

Edited by Sheldon Cr

On 8/31/2018 at 6:11 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

What a sad little man Scott is. Even Jim's failures are greater than anything that man will achieve in a thousand lifetimes. 

Has Cameron really done anything greater than anyone else?

He’ll also die, and all of his work too is ensure to be destroyed with the heat death of the universe or the expansion of the sun (or even climate change in as little as a few hundred years). 

Like the rest of us, James Cameron is microscopic and insignificant in the full view of the universe.

5 minutes ago, PANDA said:

He’ll also die, and all of his work too is ensure to be destroyed with the heat death of the universe or the expansion of the sun (or even climate change in as little as a few hundred years). 

Like the rest of us, James Cameron is microscopic and insignificant in the full view of the universe.

Thankfully that doesnt matter and whats important is the culture that we live in now.

• Like 1

A matter of perspective. No one is a deity in the grand scheme of things. I think the movie Avatar touches on a lot of themes that are presented in this clip, even if the references are a little abstract. We live on this tiny rock that has an extremely fragile system to support life, we should remember that at all times because there is no plan "B" at the present time.  

1 hour ago, PANDA said:

Wow, that's deep. For some reason i'm depressive now...

17 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Wow, that's deep. For some reason i'm depressive now...

It can be depressive, or it can be completely freeing.  It unbinds you from the significance of your failures and gives you freedom to explore and search for meaning within life.

But really the point is, we shouldn’t deify any man because even who we might consider the most successful of men by worldly standards (like Cameron) are ultimately no more successful than anyone.

True success is a personal thing and doesn’t require grand achievements.

20 hours ago, PANDA said:

There is no "full view of the universe". As far as we know all that is sentient is here on Earth. Jim has dominated all that is known and for all time that is known.  Your thought experiment falls flat as it almost tends towards some kind of pantheism. To anthropomorphise the universe seems far too much of a leap of intellect even for me. We barely understand our own world, never mind everything else.   

20 hours ago, TMP said:

Deifying someone for making/acting in movies has always seemed so odd to me

Is deification of anything not odd? I mean I can understand worshiping the Sun, it gives life, for some people Jim gives us an ideal to strive towards, and for others he even gives them meaning, I don't see anything very strange about deifying those things. 

• Like 3