Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

19 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The superhero movies – characters that were invented by Jack Kirby in the 1960s or earlier – I have great love for those characters as they were to me when I was a 13-year-old boy. They were brilliantly designed and created characters. But they were for 50 years ago. I think this century needs, deserves, its own culture. It deserves artists that are actually going to attempt to say things that are relevant to the times we are actually living in. 

Always read this and think of Avatar. 

Mmh I dont know about this one. Dont get me wrong, I dont really care for most superhero movies and I adore Avatar, but this quote seems to imply that cultural icons arent capable of evolving with the times and changing to be more approriate for current generations, which they definitely can. And I mean this century has evolved a large amout of their own culture, while also drawing and expanding upon the culture of the past. Theres room for both and I think we can consider us very fortunate to live in a time where culture and meaningful art are thriving to a degree that is seldomly seen.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crainy said:

Mmh I dont know about this one. Dont get me wrong, I dont really care for most superhero movies and I adore Avatar, but this quote seems to imply that cultural icons arent capable of evolving with the times and changing to be more approriate for current generations, which they definitely can. And I mean this century has evolved a large amout of their own culture, while also drawing and expanding upon the culture of the past. Theres room for both and I think we can consider us very fortunate to live in a time where culture and meaningful art are thriving to a degree that is seldomly seen.

Doubt Moore would disagree that there is room for both. The problem is that there is not enough that is "original" in that their inception isn't dated itself. 

Take the concept of "origin story" that's a trope in itself, no one ever wonders where Winnie the Pooh came from, I don't need to know his origin story, yet it's a staple lately. These things don't have to be this way. I agree broadly with Moore that culture should be shaped by each generation, not grabbed from the previous and molded to the latter generation's needs. Then again, he and I are both grumpy old men, it's not really for us to decide. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Doubt Moore would disagree that there is room for both. The problem is that there is not enough that is "original" in that their inception isn't dated itself. 

Take the concept of "origin story" that's a trope in itself, no one ever wonders where Winnie the Pooh came from, I don't need to know his origin story, yet it's a staple lately. These things don't have to be this way. I agree broadly with Moore that culture should be shaped by each generation, not grabbed from the previous and molded to the latter generation's needs. Then again, he and I are both grumpy old men, it's not really for us to decide. 

Nah, doesnt every generation take what they have known before and reshape it to something that fits into their culture, while also creating new things? Its just a natural cycle thats always been like that and you can be damn sure that 50 years ago they remade and repurposed things that were made before that time. Its no different today than it was back then. You just happen to remember the outstanding stuff, while forgetting all the unremarkable, copy-cat and derivative works of that time.

Edited by Crainy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

Nah, doesnt every generation take what they have known before and reshape it to something that fits into their culture, while also creating new things? Its just a natural cycle thats always been like that and you can be damn sure that 50 years ago they remade and repurposed things that were made before that time. Its no different today than it was back then. You just happen to remember the outstanding stuff, while forgetting all the unremarkable, copy-cat and derivative works of that time.

I don't actually think there is any disagreement between us. To quote Ecclesiastes: "There is nothing new under the Sun." What I think is an important distinction though, is that we do in fact create things that are "new". There is obviously demand for it, I mean Avatar itself shows that! There's a reason why none of these rehashes of decade old stories and characters have managed to topple Avatar at the top of the Box Office! 

• Like 3

On 9/24/2018 at 9:43 AM, Deuce66 said:

Here's one of the better making of docs. that I've seen, a good reminder of what it took to make the first movie. If you haven't seen it yet I highly recommend it.

Nice post deuce. Love the deeper making of Avatar docs.

. I'll check It out. Shows just how rare a filmmaker like Cameron truly is.

• Like 2

Some new stuff on the way courtesy of Dark Horse Comics

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/dark-horse-avatar-tsuteys-path/

In a Comic Book Resources exclusive, Dark Horse have announced a new six-issue companion series to James Cameron’s 2009 film, Avatar. “Avatar: Tsu’tey’s Path” will be set during the events of the original film and follows the journey of a Na’vi after the arrival of Jake Sully. CBR said it promises to feature never-before-seen events that were only hinted at in the original film. The series will be written by novelist Sherri L. Smith (Lucy the Giant) and illustrated by Jan Duursema (“Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi”) with inks by Dan Parsons (“Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi”) and colors by Wes Dzioba (“Mystery Science Theater 3000”).

The original Avatar film followed Jake Sully, a paralyzed former marine, as he took control of a Na’vi body and fell in love with a native woman on the planet – forcing him to fight for the survival of her home. Tsu’tey, played by Laz Alonso, was a member of the Na’vi clan who was suspicious of Sully throughout the film, until the soldier eventually earned his respect. Avatar is currently the highest grossing film of all time, and Cameron is currently filming two sequels, the first of which will arrive in 2020. The first (and until now, only) Avatar comic, “James Cameron’s Avatar,” was a single issue released for Free Comic Book Day 2017, which was also written by Sherri L. Smith and illustrated by Doug Wheatley (“Star Wars: Dark Times”).

“Avatar: Tsu’tey’s Path” #1 is set to release on January 16, 2019.

Avatar-Tsuteys-Path-Cover.jpg&q=95&w=196

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Some new stuff on the way courtesy of Dark Horse Comics

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/news/dark-horse-avatar-tsuteys-path/

In a Comic Book Resources exclusive, Dark Horse have announced a new six-issue companion series to James Cameron’s 2009 film, Avatar. “Avatar: Tsu’tey’s Path” will be set during the events of the original film and follows the journey of a Na’vi after the arrival of Jake Sully. CBR said it promises to feature never-before-seen events that were only hinted at in the original film. The series will be written by novelist Sherri L. Smith (Lucy the Giant) and illustrated by Jan Duursema (“Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi”) with inks by Dan Parsons (“Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi”) and colors by Wes Dzioba (“Mystery Science Theater 3000”).

The original Avatar film followed Jake Sully, a paralyzed former marine, as he took control of a Na’vi body and fell in love with a native woman on the planet – forcing him to fight for the survival of her home. Tsu’tey, played by Laz Alonso, was a member of the Na’vi clan who was suspicious of Sully throughout the film, until the soldier eventually earned his respect. Avatar is currently the highest grossing film of all time, and Cameron is currently filming two sequels, the first of which will arrive in 2020. The first (and until now, only) Avatar comic, “James Cameron’s Avatar,” was a single issue released for Free Comic Book Day 2017, which was also written by Sherri L. Smith and illustrated by Doug Wheatley (“Star Wars: Dark Times”).

“Avatar: Tsu’tey’s Path” #1 is set to release on January 16, 2019.

Avatar-Tsuteys-Path-Cover.jpg&q=95&w=196

ordering this as soon as i can

Potential for a major production delay averted in New Zealand. 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12133319

The government has abandoned plans to rein in ballooning subsides for Hollywood, citing film industry opposition and the threat of lawsuits from the producers of James Cameron's Avatar films.

The Weekend Herald reported in June these payments - that sees studios get cash payments of up to 25 per cent of their local spending on productions - had totalled $575 million since 2010, prompting Economic Development Minister David Parker to announce he was looking at ways to cap or limit the escalating costs to taxpayers.

But yesterday Parker, speaking from Australia, said following consultations with industry around the viability of their business - and thousands of accompanying jobs - without subsidies, and legal advice over a 2013 deal signed with Avatar producers, said cuts or changes to the subsidy scheme were now off the table.

"We're not proposing to introduce a cap. We accept that the subsides are necessary, and we accept there's a benefit to the country," he said.

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:48 AM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Looks like they're going to be starting the marketing machine up. Really looking forward to the new comics, and seeing come of the supporting cast fleshed out. 

Certainly looks that way, from the Avatar FB page. "We'll have plenty of releases like this to keep you on life-support until then" referring to Dec 2020.

42761311_10156798131084791_3767334128509

7 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Since this is most likely going to end up being distributed by Disney, I wonder if they’re banking on this franchise replacing Star Wars for a bit. 

With up to four of these on the way and next year's Episode 9 acting as the "final chapter" for the new saga, probably.

Disney's Christmas Tentpoles in the future will probably go like this:

2019-Episode IX

2020-Avatar 2

2021-Avatar 3

2022-New Star Wars Trilogy #1

2023-Avatar 4

2024-New Star Wars Trilogy #2

2025-Avatar 5

2026-New Star Wars Trilogy #3

On 10/3/2018 at 8:36 PM, CoolEric258 said:

Disney's Christmas Tentpoles in the future will probably go like this:

2019-Episode IX

2020-Avatar 2

2021-Avatar 3

2022-New Star Wars Trilogy #1

2023-Avatar 4

2024-New Star Wars Trilogy #2

2025-Avatar 5

2026-New Star Wars Trilogy #3

Almost certainly, unless IX really does implode... then we'll probably see something else in the non-Avatar years. 

I'm personally very happy that Avatar is becoming a pillar of the plan, so to speak, shows how much faith they have in Jim. 

On 9/18/2018 at 7:04 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

My phone nearly exploded over Avatar news... sadly turned out to be for a children's TV show. 

Let me correct you right there: "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is not a childrens TV show. Its a TV show for all ages and from what I have heard (I havent watched all that much of it actually) an excellent piece of media.

Anyhow James Camerons dope yo.

• Like 2