Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

53 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

But for us it’s likely to release on Thursday anyway, so wouldn’t the days be correct?

also with Thursday previews in USA, everything big opens Thursday now anyway

If it opens on december 17 you should put that into that site then it will be wrong again!

• Like 1

PRODUCER JON LANDU SAYS ‘AVATAR 2’ AND ‘AVATAR 3’ PERFORMANCE CAPTURE COMPLETED

“We are in the middle of four Avatar sequels… and we just completed on the first two of them.”

“So we’ve wrapped Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Kate Winslet, and Stephen Lang.”

https://thegww.com/producer-jon-landu-says-avatar-2-and-avatar-3-performance-capture-completed/

Damn. I want to know what's going on there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

He was already that :jeb!:

Seriously though... doubt he'd need mocap for a robot? 

not really.

Na'vi is likely, only thing I can think of is that Eywa has seen he will be of use and moves his memories and personality into an empty Vessel.

I thought of something cool though which I think could happen because Jim loves to show off new tech and wants to be the first too do it.

Stephan Lang Mo'capping as YOUNG 30 something stephen lang, fully roided out like Arny in his prime.

• Like 2

yeah, if that mo'cap wrap up is a spoiler, than Quaritch is a Na'vi now. which makes sense cause how else they would bring him back? Gotta be consciousness transfer. Maybe he didn't die, just went comatose at the end of Avatar. :thinking:

Also, he'll totally freak out that he can't be anything else! :lol:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, if that mo'cap wrap up is a spoiler, than Quaritch is a Na'vi now. which makes sense cause how else they would bring him back? Gotta be consciousness transfer. Maybe he didn't die, just went comatose at the end of Avatar. :thinking:

Also, he'll totally freak out that he can't be anything else! :lol:

see my post above! Young Quaritch is my bet.

Alita is testing for avatar 2

Well that's very interesting regarding Lang, I also noticed no mention of Sigourney so.....my theory is that the original Quaritch is DEAD, two massive arrows in the heart area, he's toast. They also didn't mention Matt Gerald who played Wainfleet, he's being resurrected also. 

Real life Stephen Lang is 66 years old, very tough to be in peak physical condition at that age so I'll assume they are using mo-cap to turn back the clock a few decades on a clone, the movie is taking place a few years into the future which gives them plenty of time to grow another "Q" in the lab. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

damn if they pull it off perfectly. :mouthdropped:

6 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Well that's very interesting regarding Lang, I also noticed no mention of Sigourney so.....my theory is that the original Quaritch is DEAD, two massive arrows in the heart area, he's toast. They also didn't mention Matt Gerald who played Wainfleet, he's being resurrected also. 

Real life Stephen Lang is 66 years old, very tough to be in peak physical condition at that age so I'll assume they are using mo-cap to turn back the clock a few decades on a clone, the movie is taking place a few years into the future which gives them plenty of time to grow another "Q" in the lab. 

Really? Motion capture has been great at creating creatures like King Kong or Gollum but not as good at making convincing human faces.
Cameron If we had put the same energy into creating a human as we put into creating the Na’vi, it would have been 100 percent indistinguishable from reality. The question is, why the hell would you do that? Why not just photograph the actor? Well, let’s say Clint Eastwood really wanted to do one last Dirty Harry movie, looking the way he did in 1975. He could absolutely do it now. And that would be cool.

This was from ~2010

If they can grow Na'vi they can grow Humans

https://james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_(species)

takes them 3 years to grow a fully sized Avatar

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

A further comment, if mo-cap is complete for II and III already (Saldana has been done for a few months), I'm expecting the finished product to be so far ahead of everyone else in the game that they will be left speechless. Avengers (out May 3/19) wrapped up when was it last week? giving them maybe 5 months to finalize, so Cameron and team Weta/Lightstorm will have at least 21 months to basically nail down every single frame of the first sequel that doesn't have live action in it and even longer for III. It's like giving Bolt a 15 metre head start in the 100 metres, forget it. 

19 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

On the subject of Quaritch, I certainly hope Cameron can give him a bit more depth this time around. 

Cameron did mention that his character arc will be very interesting and will change significantly over the 4 films, I assume that he will be his usual I hate everything about Pandora self in the first movie (his clone retaining all previous memories), something will happen that will start a process of re-assessing what he's all about (some crossing the line type violence that shakes him up??). 

One creature that was developed for the original movie and didn't make an appearance is the Slinger, I really want to see this thing in action. 

This sloth-like animal is one of the oddest and most dangerous creatures yet discovered on Pandora.

When hunting, this creature moves slowly and silently through the forest ferns. When it senses prey, its muscular neck cocks back into a striking position, then snaps forward. Its long, pointed head detaches and flies toward the prey as a self-guiding venomous projectile. After the head embeds itself into its target (often a hexapede), the dart emits a series of high-pitched squeals. The signals allow the body (now sightless) to home in and locate and move toward the detached part. Still separated, the strange partners enjoy their prey. Sated, the neck bends down and a mesh of hairlike tendrils rejoins head 
with body. 

As if this were not compelling enough, biologists were stunned to discover that the body and its dart-like head are not a single creature with a singular method of hunting. Instead, the dart is actually the “child” of the body and will stay in the symbiotic relationship with its “mother” until it is too big too fly. It then mates, detaches from the mother/body and metamorphose into a smaller, complete slinger with its own offspring dart/head. Left behind without its dart offspring, the mother/body is unable to feed itself and dies. In this odd cycle of renewal, each generation becomes the brain for the previous generation.

This would all be academically intriguing were it not for the fact that slingers have proven deadly to human colonists. Several have died-- badly-- after being struck by a slinger dart. 

Na'vi hunters have been known to retrieve a dart that has been orphaned from its mother/body to use later as an effective weapon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Really? Motion capture has been great at creating creatures like King Kong or Gollum but not as good at making convincing human faces.
Cameron If we had put the same energy into creating a human as we put into creating the Na’vi, it would have been 100 percent indistinguishable from reality. The question is, why the hell would you do that? Why not just photograph the actor? Well, let’s say Clint Eastwood really wanted to do one last Dirty Harry movie, looking the way he did in 1975. He could absolutely do it now. And that would be cool.

This was from ~2010

If they can grow Na'vi they can grow Humans

https://james-camerons-avatar.fandom.com/wiki/Avatar_(species)

takes them 3 years to grow a fully sized Avatar

100% photorealistic humans. Jesus Jim, why are you so amazing. 

• Haha 1