Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am disappointed kal's highend did not even hit 5B WW. :whosad:

Lol my predict was reposted actually. That would exceed my wildest expectations if it pulled a titanic run in 2020. 😎

I fully expect A2 to fall from Avatar in most developed markets (Domestic, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Spain, Russia, Italy, etc). I can see it dropping $450m or more in those 8 markets alone. However, it has the potential for good gains in Latin America and huge gains in Asian markets. I could see 25-50% gains in many LA markets, and 3-5x gains in several Asian markets. 

As we're all aware, China alone could do north of $750m (and potentially much higher.) It could be for China what Titanic was to the domestic market (i.e 50% bigger than the current record holder.) In other Asian markets like Indonesia or the Philippines, I'm not sure what the culture connection is to Avatar. It could potentially be a $30m+ film in both markets. 

I'm saying all of this to simply say, I see how Avatar 2 could at least match the original. A lot of the more intense predictions ($4 billion?) ride solely on the back of China. If 200m tickets are sold there, then maybe $4 billion is feasible. Right now, my worldwide prediction for A2 is around $2.55 billion. 

Edited by VenomXXR
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

I fully expect A2 to fall from Avatar in most developed markets (Domestic, France, Germany, Australia, Japan, Spain, Russia, Italy, etc). I can see it dropping $450m or more in those 8 markets alone. However, it has the potential for good gains in Latin America and huge gains in Asian markets. I could see 25-50% gains in many LA markets, and 3-5x gains in several Asian markets. 

As we're all aware, China alone could do north of $750m (and potentially much higher.) It could be for China what Titanic was to the domestic market (i.e 50% bigger than the current record holder.) In other Asian markets like Indonesia or the Philippines, I'm not sure what the culture connection is to Avatar. It could potentially be a $30m+ film in both markets. 

I'm saying all of this to simply say, I see how Avatar 2 could at least match the original. A lot of the more intense predictions ($4 billion?) ride solely on the back of China. If 200m tickets are sold there, then maybe $4 billion is feasible. Right now, my worldwide prediction for A2 is around $2.55 billion. 

Same. 2.5b-2.75. China exploding for 1 billion means other Asian countries explode and it passes 3+. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, VenomXXR said:

It's not going to make that number here in the Philippines. I wish it could, but we have this shitty film festival here that runs from Dec 25 to the first week of January or so. These shitty films are prioritized over Hollywood films which runs are cut to make way for the festival. Even if they release Avatar 2 again after the festival, the momentum will have been affected and I hate that.

Pushing the boundaires was a part of Titanic and Avatar's giant success but it also has to do with its heroes which were not super, they were from the 

proletariat

and this is by design on Cameron's part.

Common folks living extraordinary events and epic adventures.

See his filmography (only True lies doesn't fit the bill because Cameron agreed to do the movie for his friend Arnold.)

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Yeah, some people think Titanic is the start of Cameron's box office success. True Lies was the highest grossing film ever in China when it was released, and Terminator 2 is the highest grossing film worldwide in 1991. Most directors would love to have just those, it would already be a huge accomplishment. 

Well Put NC. Not to mention his last 2 films proably have passed over 100 major film rewards in total. Incuding over 15 Oscars!!💪💪. Just another thing that JC does that others filmmakers and franchises don't.

Or as Jake would say 

: " Outstanding!"

--Theres a James Cameron mega BO event and then there is everyone else.😎

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cdsacken said:

Same. 2.5b-2.75. China exploding for 1 billion means other Asian countries explode and it passes 3+. 

I hope you Are not ignoring how big James Cameron films are in Europe and other countries? Asia is only a part of what makes Avatar 2 a destroyer of bo worlds CDsack

😉. Watch how France and UK likely hit 155-200 mil each for example. Sorry every JC film breaks records all cross the asian , European , Australia and nearly everywhere else. 

The support of JC will not be legendary in Asia alone.

Sorry to burst that bubble.

Lol thats what happens when your remembered for Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, T1 and the greatest sequel T2, Titanic and Avatar all. And he actually has the writing team of planet of the apes helping this time.😎😎

Edited by Sheldon Cr

Just now, cdsacken said:

Europe will get killed because of the exchange rates. UK is down over 20%. Same for France. Sequels often do worse and I wouldn't count on 10x legs again. That is just not happening.

10x legs ain't happening because of the opening weekend size

if you think the tickets sale growth and inflation isn't going to outscale the ER you're in for a nasty shock

• Thanks 3

It absolutely has not especially in the UK. Ticket prices very similar to what I paid in pounds in 2013. The unlimited plan cost has increased $0 in 6 years.

Opening will be way bigger and legs will be way smaller.

Edited by cdsacken

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

It absolutely has not especially in the UK. Ticket prices very similar to what I paid in pounds in 2013. The unlimited plan cost has increased $0 in 6 years.

Opening will be way bigger and legs will be way smaller.

these way smaller legs are going to make other tent-pole blockbusters look pathetic

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

Yes jimbo I get it. You think it's guaranteed lock at 3.5 + billion and that 2.75.billion is a failure. I get it. I'm not gonna change my opinion because of your rants.

It would be a failure to reach Jim's goal.

Financial failure of course not. 

However Jim is aiming for heights never seen by man before.

That's what it means to be Jim, if it's not a challenge he doesn't give a shit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

these way smaller legs are going to make other tent-pole blockbusters look pathetic

That's what the Christmas holidays do to 99% of every movie released in that window.  It wouldn't come close to a 5x any other time of the year.

Edited by Deep Wang
  • Like 1

10x legs ain't happening because of the opening weekend size

if you think the tickets sale growth and inflation isn't going to outscale the ER you're in for a nasty shock

56 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It would be a failure to reach Jim's goal.

Financial failure of course not. 

However Jim is aiming for heights never seen by man before.

That's what it means to be Jim, if it's not a challenge he doesn't give a shit.

You know that's right Jimbo buddy. On that statement that Jc films wont make juggernaut nums in Europe because of exchange rates. We heard that before. Didnt happen with Titanic , certainly didnt affect Avatar. And indeed whatever these mere mortal blockbusters make in Europe. Avatar 2 is going to make jaw droppingly more and in some countries double to triple the amount made by all these pretenders. I cant see less than 2.5-2.9bww but on a highnote 3.9-4.5 b ww or more is definitely in the cards for Jc's Juggernaut 2020.

Edited by Sheldon Cr

42 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

That's what the Christmas holidays do to 99% of every movie released in that window.  It wouldn't come close to a 5x any other time of the year.

If the TFA can have 3.8x legs, Avatar 2 will have 5 atleast. TFA was mediocre.

Let's finalise this.

I bet you 2 months gold that Avatar 2 will have 5x legs, this is voided if it makes less than 200m opening weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, Pure Spirit said:

It's looking like $2.3-2.5B, but I give 50/50 odds it pushes past Avatar. If it does, that just proves how much foreign markets have grown since the original Avatar, and I expect $4B or even $5B to be within range for Avatar 2 in that case.

Hello Pure Spirit 👍. Theres almost no doubt about it..Folks who truly know what this movie could pull off are predicting on the web that  Avatar 2b in these new markets could make 3b to 4 billion from the OS tally alone. Then factor in a 960-1.2b or better domestic potential and we may exceed the biggest pretenders by an extra 1.8 to 2b plus overall. I feel Avatar with us Pandorians and Jc fans united can make  at least 1.5-2.2 b more than any of the films that managed to push past 2billion at the bo. Now on the ultimate note, and we somehow double the biggest pretenders worldwide gross...We may need to call some ambulances and breakout the smelling salts for many a fanboy or downright Jc hater....lol...😎😎 

Pandorians lets shake up the world again.  

A2....Worldbreaker on deck. And potentially  Cameron 3 peats the all time domestic and king of the hill ww crown.

----This is our land!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

If the TFA can have 3.8x legs, Avatar 2 will have 5 atleast. TFA was mediocre.

Let's finalise this.

I bet you 2 months gold that Avatar 2 will have 5x legs, this is voided if it makes less than 200m opening weekend.

ill come in with you on that bet as well Iron Jimbo. If hes willing. Null and void if a natural disaster happens that effects a major domestic territory or 3 as well Iron Jimbo. But the most high willing its a great year for us all in 2020. I'm pretty sure avatar is a lock for a 5x multiplier if ow is under 200m. 

Lets rock. I feel the same energy I felt when Titan and Juggernaut 2009 took the world by storm. We are going 3 peat.

• Like 1