Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

47 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Ah, if only we didn't feel the need (I don't) to crap all over other massively successful films to prop up our love for Avatar. Endgame is fantastic imo, I worship Avatar, I love DC, I love Marvel (not as much as DC though). I can somehow understand the feeling to be so defensive, especially with the countless idiots on Twitter who are quick to diminish Avatar's performance only to elevate Endgame's, but it's very possible to like it all.

Despite that, I've defended Avatar a lot these last few days with some of the clueless takes out there. 

Timmy we're not all the same person and we shouldn't be.

I've been talking down modern blockbusters for years, why would I change my tune now especially when the manifestation of that is probably about to become the highest grossing film of all time.

I could argue why I think most superhero movies are pretty terrible but I've said it a thousand times before.

We are in the franchise and nostalgia era.

If that is what it takes, so be it. A2,3,4 and 5 here we come.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Not what I'm saying, it's just something I'm seeing a lot on both sides and it's not needed. I feel a lot of folks are exaggerating to make a point too. 

I hope you aren’t referring to me because I mean every word. I felt nothing at the end of a recent blockbuster except a sense of relief that the incoherent, sporadically funny, nostalgia-baiting mess was over. I spent plenty of words praising Infinity War so I’m not a reflexive “hater” I just call it like I see it, and I don’t let RT critic scores influence my own opinions. I was one of the first people on Reddit to say “wow TLJ was really bad for [reasons]” (on its opening day!) and earned my most downvoted comment ever for that with people pointing out cinemascore and RT, now a comment like that would earn tons of upvotes. Stick to your guns. If Avatar 2 sucks I will be the first to say it! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Ah, if only we didn't feel the need (I don't) to crap all over other massively successful films to prop up our love for Avatar. Endgame is fantastic imo, I worship Avatar, I love DC, I love Marvel (not as much as DC though). I can somehow understand the feeling to be so defensive, especially with the countless idiots on Twitter who are quick to diminish Avatar's performance only to elevate Endgame's, but it's very possible to like it all.

Despite that, I've defended Avatar a lot these last few days with some of the clueless takes out there. 

It's awesome that you feel that way, I personally really liked Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy, and to a lesser extent Thor: Ragnarok, MCU can be pretty fun, and there is actually not a single MCU film that I outright hated, and I watched all of them (except for Endgame, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man 2). If MCU is one of the many flavours in the market, I'd be totally cool with it! It is the fact that Hollywood has no other meaningful stories to tell aside from MCU + 70s, 80s and 90s nostalgia that gets me worried. They are fun times at the theater, but epic breakthroughs in films they are not.

As box office fan, I'd be totally fine with praising impressive box office runs when I see one, but it really pisses me off when people have to trash Titanic/Avatar to elevate their film's box office performance, and in the mean time insult Cameron fans and Cameron himself. Defending A & T is a defense mechanism to me, not something I voluntarily do or even love to do all that much.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Disney's slate is light for 2020. They will go all out on this.

When did marketing for the first Avatar start? Like the first still image?

I don't quite remember when the first image emerged, but the first teaser came out fairly late, and I remember being really skeptical. I think most of the promotional efforts for Avatar focused on the last few months before released.

• Thanks 1

Do you all expect another mega deal done with Digital 3d and 4dx , Imax theaters etc to do a huge domestic and ww free sneak preview? Aka Avatar Day part 2?  I think they should go all out and if it aint broken dont change the formula that helped A1. 😎😎

Edited by Sheldon Cr

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Hey timmy. We will have the powr of the ages and the glory of invincibility...And may no modern blockbuster stand in our way.👍👍. I think we can have awesome banter blockbuster talks between franchises, its the rude loonies that cause arnarcy are the real problems. Some of them will never understand the concept of decent discussion where those for and against can get along.

Post your predicts Timmy..A2 is a legend in the making and I feel it may exceed even the greatest of expectations when the smoke clears.💪

7 hours ago, JimiQ said:

Well, youtube compression and PC display are not doing it any favors. I remember it better looking from cinema

yeah, looks awful in that video, like a videogame. I saw Avatar in the cinema last year and it holds up beautiful, looks utterly real. Its just youtube compression. Also sure if  you watched it on dvd/bluray it would look fine.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

I hope you aren’t referring to me because I mean every word. I felt nothing at the end of a recent blockbuster except a sense of relief that the incoherent, sporadically funny, nostalgia-baiting mess was over. I spent plenty of words praising Infinity War so I’m not a reflexive “hater” I just call it like I see it, and I don’t let RT critic scores influence my own opinions. I was one of the first people on Reddit to say “wow TLJ was really bad for [reasons]” (on its opening day!) and earned my most downvoted comment ever for that with people pointing out cinemascore and RT, now a comment like that would earn tons of upvotes. Stick to your guns. If Avatar 2 sucks I will be the first to say it! 

I think Reddit and YouTube are turning significantly worse after TLJ and CM, this place is not that far behind either.

Increasingly people just can't stand to see different opinions, which would be more tolerable if they're more honest about it, you know. Instead, what is happening is that they try to silence opinions through "fake neutrality", it's hilarious whenever they say "take your inflation and expansion talk elsewhere" while simultaneously clicking "haha" on "Avatar is stupid and forgettable and A2 will make a total of 500M worldwide". You know exactly what they really mean...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

I find to be the case all the time with CGI. Usually most of my CGI complaints that I see in trailers goes away when I watch in cinemas unless it's really bad. 

Youtube is trash, the compression is horrendous. So yeah, it kind of bums me out when studios debut their trailers on Youtube knowing that's how the majority will see it, not knowing you can see it in much higher quality on Apple Trailers (still massively compressed obviously) or in Pro Res if you know where to look. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Youtube is trash, the compression is horrendous. So yeah, it kind of bums me out when studios debut their trailers on Youtube knowing that's how the majority will see it, not knowing you can see it in much higher quality on Apple Trailers (still massively compressed obviously) or in Pro Res if you know where to look. 

Is youtube that bad even if you have 2K or 4K options?

@NCsoft Agreed on it all, it's just today's culture. Film Twitter is one of the worst things that ever happened and obviously, anyone being able to voice their opinion means you have to wade through a lot of trash, a lot of basic, simplistic things. It just reminds me every day how dumb (sorry) a lot of people are or just thoroughly ignorant. 

About what performs today at the box office, well, it is what it is, a lot of directors have said it, but TV is really where it's at increasingly for the kind of stuff you'd see before in theaters, in the mid budget range. Or Netflix is handling that corner. I'm happy with it all really as long as the great stuff doesn't get buried just because of the next juggernaut around the corner. 

@Sheldon Cr I honestly have no idea about Avatar 2. My gut instinct is that 2, 3, 4 and 5 will all hit 2 billion + minimum, but it could go anywhere. It is unlikely that many of the highest grossing European markets will be as big with the exchange rates nowadays and I'm guessing there's bound to be some erosion in the audience who saw the first one and is interested in the sequel, and at the same time, I think the visuals are going to be so mindblowing once again and the first footage undoubtedly so startling that EVERYONE will be talking about.

Every hater, every naysayer will be there day one, no matter what they say. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCsoft said:

Is youtube that bad even if you have 2K or 4K options?

Yes, it's horrendous. The bitrate is so incredibly low. Do a test from any recent trailer on Youtube and then download it on Apple Trailers (go to HD-trailers.net for that) and you'll see how night and day it is. Youtube always wipes away the texture of the image. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I guess you are taking the yearly ATP as ATP as Avatar ATP or whatever source you look upto is doing that but that's not how things are.

e.g. using the same approach in USA gives around 100mn admits for Avatar when in reality it had 70mn Approx admits.

No, I'm taking the actual admission data from Avatar in the UK. See:

On 5/5/2019 at 3:58 PM, hw64 said:

I've used actual admission data from Avatar and Infinity War, rather than yearly ticket price averages which are less than accurate.

Avatar sold 16.51m tickets (see here, here) in its 2009-10 run and grossed about £94.0m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £5.69.

Infinity War sold 9.19m tickets (see here) in its theatrical run and grossed about £70.8m (see here, here) for a ticket price average of £7.70.

1 hour ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Funny discussion on if Avatar will destroy the competition.

Pay attention all, its showing the future Avatar 2 will reap previous harm on the pretenders.

Very nice!!

Host: "Never bet against James Cameron"

*Proceeds to bet against James Cameron, saying Avatar 2 won't even hit $2B*

When will they learn? Where is the Youtuber who actually understands why James Cameron is so outrageously successful? I saw this SAME CHATTER before Titanic, and before Avatar, and I've read that Terminator 2 also had similar chatter before being the #1 movie of its release year as an R-rated film!

They say 2019 is a different time, with this new thing called social media (as if 2009 was the stone age, which it wasn't, I was there), but forget to mention we're in the age where sequels make more than original properties. Look at Jurassic World if you want a comp for what movies that "nobody cares about" can make based on nostalgia. And Jurassic World wasn't even good. Avatar 2 is not going under Jurassic World unless  Cameron loses his health or there's a huge scandal around the production.

Most of the MCU-fanboy comment section seems to think Avatar 2 will be a re-release of Avatar 1. 😂They say Avatar was a flop in the US and that overseas carried it, but someone should tell them Avatar took the #1 domestic record by a significant margin. They say nobody cares about Avatar 2, which 1) isn't true, but 2) nobody really cared about Avatar 1 and that didn't stop it.

Man, this stuff is life-fuel for Cameron-stans, hurry up Avatar 2! We believe in you, Cameron! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

@Pure Spirit

The thing about John Campea (I don't hate him, he's O.K, also fellow Canadian, like Jim):

He's by a very significant margin the least knowledgeable person about box office out of any of the major film youtube personality, even significantly worse than Grace Randolph, thank god he doesn't have his own box office show:ph34r:

And those comments on his videos... I don't even bother.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 5