Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Remember that anyone claiming A is forgotten is literally self-defeating and has no real grasp of how anything works. 

Also expect many more A fans to come out of the woodwork in the coming months and years folks. 

• Like 4

@IronJimbo @JamesCameronScholar 

You may know this better than I. I remember reading a lot of articles back in 2011 or so about the future films, from what i remember and as far as I know Avatar 2 is a direct sequel to the first movie but the culmination of Jake and Neytiri story, and Avatar 3, 4 & 5 are a different kind of story tied with some events in the first movie, is that true ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

8 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

You may know this better than I. I remember reading a lot of articles back in 2011 or so about the future films, from what i remember and as far as I know Avatar 2 is a direct sequel to the first movie but the culmination of Jake and Neytiri story, and Avatar 3, 4 & 5 are a different kind of story tied with some events in the first movie, is that true ?

I think that each of the four sequel is gonna feature Jake and Neytiri from what I've read. Also Quaritch should be in all of them. It's a bit fuzzy, we don't know much about the story, just that Jake and Neytiri have kids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, raulbalarezo said:

The rumors were very vague early on. At some stages there was even talk that one of the movies was a prequel (although I think this will be more related to the seeds and visiting the past memories). As it stands now Jim has said that Jake and Ney will be the core of the sequels. What that means as them as protagonists is yet to be seen. 

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I still remember those times in 2009 when I was told that AVATAR would be lucky to make more than 2012, and that it would not even touch THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON, and that TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN would be that year's number one film.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

35 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I still remember those times in 2009 when I was told that AVATAR would be lucky to make more than 2012, and that it would not even touch THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON, and that TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN would be that year's number one film.

I remember when the wikipedia page for it was called Project 880 and I was scrabbling around for details. 

I think The Rise Of Skywalker can go anywhere from 1.8, 1.9 billion to possible 2.5 B+ because of it being the "end" of the Skywalker Saga, etc. Other than that, I can't see what else, other than any of the Avatar sequels can beat Endgame. And I don't even think Endgame will surpass Avatar by a lot, I suspect it'll end up around 3, 3.1 billion. 

I've been having a field day on Twitter destroying some tweets from some trades or other folks boasting that Endgame made it to this amount in that number of days compared to Avatar and reminding everyone that Avatar only opened at 241 M WW and managed to make it to 2.78 (73 something without the rerelease) billion fucking dollars. Endgame is impressive, very impressive but imo, Avatar's performance is more impressive, to start so "low" to go so high, on an original property. 

• Like 3
  • Knock It Off 1

4 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Host: "Never bet against James Cameron"

*Proceeds to bet against James Cameron, saying Avatar 2 won't even hit $2B*

When will they learn? Where is the Youtuber who actually understands why James Cameron is so outrageously successful? I saw this SAME CHATTER before Titanic, and before Avatar, and I've read that Terminator 2 also had similar chatter before being the #1 movie of its release year as an R-rated film!

They say 2019 is a different time, with this new thing called social media (as if 2009 was the stone age, which it wasn't, I was there), but forget to mention we're in the age where sequels make more than original properties. Look at Jurassic World if you want a comp for what movies that "nobody cares about" can make based on nostalgia. And Jurassic World wasn't even good. Avatar 2 is not going under Jurassic World unless  Cameron loses his health or there's a huge scandal around the production.

Most of the MCU-fanboy comment section seems to think Avatar 2 will be a re-release of Avatar 1. 😂They say Avatar was a flop in the US and that overseas carried it, but someone should tell them Avatar took the #1 domestic record by a significant margin. They say nobody cares about Avatar 2, which 1) isn't true, but 2) nobody really cared about Avatar 1 and that didn't stop it.

Man, this stuff is life-fuel for Cameron-stans, hurry up Avatar 2! We believe in you, Cameron! 

Avatar Derangement Syndrome is real. The online pathology to belittle anything James Cameron does and ever did constantly.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Avatar Derangement Syndrome is real. The online pathology to belittle anything James Cameron does and ever did constantly.

51 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Hey Hey Dash A2 is almost here man! Welcome back to our little Pandora community here..  We will have a glorious time when James 3 peats the all time domestic and ww and the domestic and especially that OS expansion. The end result may suprise even the biggest predicting Jc fan. Even some of the folks in the discussion that people should learn not to underestimate James Cameron at this point..The ludcrious fbs dont understand they are fuelling Camerons legendary fanbase

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

They say Avatar was a flop in the US and that overseas carried it, but someone should tell them Avatar took the #1 domestic record by a significant margin.

Do they though?  I would love to see proof of this.

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Oh I rem Kayom buddy, you saw all the hate and battling we all went through..Lol in the end it Avatar push boundaries and drew in the world and made more money than almost all 3 Lotrs. I feel its going to happen again, but just how big A2 will be is the question. This time hopefully this time neither the off their rocker naysayers or Pandorians and Jc fans get banned and they man up and get their tissues out. Crazy bo battle days they were Kayom.😎😎. Reminded me of the SR vs Pirates2 500+ page long battles in the day

---Jc's consistent box office might cant be reasoned with  or bargained with. 

It what he does. Its all he does!

And he absolutely wont stop until pretenders to the throne are Terminated!

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I think The Rise Of Skywalker can go anywhere from 1.8, 1.9 billion to possible 2.5 B+ because of it being the "end" of the Skywalker Saga, etc. Other than that, I can't see what else, other than any of the Avatar sequels can beat Endgame. And I don't even think Endgame will surpass Avatar by a lot, I suspect it'll end up around 3, 3.1 billion. 

I've been having a field day on Twitter destroying some tweets from some trades or other folks boasting that Endgame made it to this amount in that number of days compared to Avatar and reminding everyone that Avatar only opened at 241 M WW and managed to make it to 2.78 (73 something without the rerelease) billion fucking dollars. Endgame is impressive, very impressive but imo, Avatar's performance is more impressive, to start so "low" to go so high, on an original property. 

The very fact JC did it with an original property (of his own creation too) is truly amazing. We may never see that kind of thing ever again - I foresee a dystopia where we're getting Disney rehashes forever.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

41 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The very fact JC did it with an original property (of his own creation too) is truly amazing. We may never see that kind of thing ever again - I foresee a dystopia where we're getting Disney rehashes forever.

Especially when our Lord and savior JC is only doing Avatar sequels the rest of his life!

Such a shame.

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I think most people who legit think Avatar 2 is going to fail (idk what would be a barometer for failure but I'd be shocked with under $2 Billion) either don't realise or don't care how much it's going to benefit from the expansion of OS markets particularly in Asia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

5 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

Oh I definitely thought Transformers 2 was going to be the number 1 film that year. I was curious but pessimistic toward Avatar. 

4 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Oh, Timmy, you are way overestimating EP9 here, giving Star Wars too much credit, especially in 2019, it's just a different world. :lol:  Here I think it's going to have to compete with Captain Marvel for global top 5 and end up with 1.1B or something, could definitely end up higher, I always under predict SW due to my feeling toward the franchise ( I predicted 1.4B or so for TFA:ph34r:).

Endgame, I have it at 2.85B for now.

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

lmao, there's a 0% chance this flops. The break-even point's gonna be like $700m? $800m? It's gonna do at least double that, at the very worst. More likely $2.1-2.2 billie.

• Thanks 1