Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 7/18/2019 at 8:54 AM, cdsacken said:

Without children the human race goes down. We do need to better regulate and need to prepare for many things coming, water shortages, climate issues etc. That said it's not selfish to have a child, certainly not anymore than not having one.

The problem is the people at the top are hoarding all the resources no matter what the rest of us do. It's the power structure that needs to change, rather than the rest of us compromising our lives while the 1% at the top do nothing and make things worse.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's the good choice for anyone who doesn't want to inflict needless suffering on others. :whosad:

Well, this whole doom angle of yours is inflicting needless suffering on others, so thank you very much :redcapes:

4 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Well, this whole doom angle of yours is inflicting needless suffering on others, so thank you very much :redcapes:

To even compare this information to the lifetime of suffering a person will endure is mad. To be so glib about it too, it's no wonder so many people have children with no thought for the yet unlived life of that child. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All temps in (C) - 

+ 0.0°C = History of Human Civilization
+ 0.5°C = Safe Limit
+ 1.0°C = Massive Die-off of Insects & Animals, Increasingly Severe Weather Events, Huge Forest Fires, Massive Flooding, Droughts, Increasing Societal Destabilization, Increasing Disease, Lowering Life-Spans, Feedback Loops (Ocean Collapse, Permafrost Melt, etc) Triggered, (all happening now) 
+ 1.5°C = Increasingly Extreme Weather, Increasing Crop Failures, Increasing Forest Burn-off 
+ 2.0°C = Increasing Violence & Societal Breakdown, Re-introduction of Ancient Plagues Thawed from Permafrost 
+ 2.5°C = Severe Environmental Collapse, Long Humid Heat Waves Which Kill even Healthy People within Hours, Completely Unstable Food Production, Fish-free Oceans, Mass Starvation, Global Transition from Living to Surviving 
+ 3.0°C = Increasingly Hellish Conditions, Dead Oceans, Complete Forest Burn-Off, Pets & Wildlife likely already Hunted to Extinction 
+ 3.5°C = Apocalyptic Collapse of Organized Society
+ 4.0°C = Human Survival Unlikely 
+ 5.0°C = Human Extinction Very Certain, Likelihood of Permanent Environment Burn-off to non-life supporting Planet like Venus
+ 6.0°C = Our Current Trajectory this Century

Sources 1 2 3

If you do have children, or decide to have them, I'd advise getting them survival training classes. 

Looks like an Earth turning into Venus type scenario, run away accumulation of green house gases. Glad I'll be long dead by then. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Looks like an Earth turning into Venus type scenario, run away accumulation of green house gases. Glad I'll be long dead by then. 

Only one man can save us

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure about that (what is your source ?)

1) Negative Effect of climate change started earlier in many non first world countries and are usually bigger.

2) Outside first world countries a giant % of the population are farmer or have other form of making a living directly from nature and know/follow/directly feel climate related news quite more than the average first worlder, if they are not farmer they often have one in the family or know some.

For example:

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2019/02/10/climate-change-still-seen-as-the-top-global-threat-but-cyberattacks-a-rising-concern/pg_2019-02-10_global-threats-2018_0-13-2/

PG_2019-02-10_Global-Threats-2018_0-13-1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_opinion_by_country

% of people very concerned that climate change will harm me personally:

Latin America: 63%

Africa: 61%

Asia-Pacific: 37%

Europe: 27%

Middle east" 27%

US: 30%

Climate change is a serious problem

Africa: 61%

Latin America: 74%

US: 45%

Europe: 54%

Percentage of each country polled who agree with : Climate change is a serious problem

Brazil 86%
Burkina Faso 79%
Chile 77%
India 76%
Uganda 76%
Peru 75%

Russia 33%
Ukraine 29%
Pakistan 29%
Israel 24%
Poland 19%
China 18%

I stand corrected!

Unfortunately for @JamesCameronScholar, this means he's effectively calling Kenyans, Peruvians, Indians, Ugandas, et. al. morally repugnant for choosing to have children, which is not a good look in 2019.

9 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All temps in (C) - 

+ 0.0°C = History of Human Civilization
+ 0.5°C = Safe Limit
+ 1.0°C = Massive Die-off of Insects & Animals, Increasingly Severe Weather Events, Huge Forest Fires, Massive Flooding, Droughts, Increasing Societal Destabilization, Increasing Disease, Lowering Life-Spans, Feedback Loops (Ocean Collapse, Permafrost Melt, etc) Triggered, (all happening now) 
+ 1.5°C = Increasingly Extreme Weather, Increasing Crop Failures, Increasing Forest Burn-off 
+ 2.0°C = Increasing Violence & Societal Breakdown, Re-introduction of Ancient Plagues Thawed from Permafrost 
+ 2.5°C = Severe Environmental Collapse, Long Humid Heat Waves Which Kill even Healthy People within Hours, Completely Unstable Food Production, Fish-free Oceans, Mass Starvation, Global Transition from Living to Surviving 
+ 3.0°C = Increasingly Hellish Conditions, Dead Oceans, Complete Forest Burn-Off, Pets & Wildlife likely already Hunted to Extinction 
+ 3.5°C = Apocalyptic Collapse of Organized Society
+ 4.0°C = Human Survival Unlikely 
+ 5.0°C = Human Extinction Very Certain, Likelihood of Permanent Environment Burn-off to non-life supporting Planet like Venus
+ 6.0°C = Our Current Trajectory this Century

Sources 1 2 3

If you do have children, or decide to have them, I'd advise getting them survival training classes. 

This is scary, the best thing we can do to help others is not  have children. It's bad for everyone involved. I would never be that selfish tbh. 

vomculzw69n21.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Hunch said:

I stand corrected!

Unfortunately for @JamesCameronScholar, this means he's effectively calling Kenyans, Peruvians, Indians, Ugandas, et. al. morally repugnant for choosing to have children, which is not a good look in 2019.

Except of course, the inhabitants of those countries are a) usually have a lower general level of education and so do not know the level of impact they are having on the planet, and b) are actually having less of an impact on the planet than those in the richest countries - as we have known for some time [source]. To make it easy for you to understand - a person in NA having 1 child is of a greater environmental impact than the equivalent person on the Indochinese Peninsula for example.

Very nice try though, if somewhat inept. I do give you credit for admitting when you're wrong.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

This is scary, the best thing we can do to help others is not  have children. It's bad for everyone involved. I would never be that selfish tbh. 

vomculzw69n21.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

It's scary, but you know what? It's kind of true. I'm probably going to sound like Thanos here but I genuinely believe over-population will be a legitimate issue soon. In some places it already is. I'm looking at you China and India. 

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Except of course, the inhabitants of those countries are a) usually have a lower general level of education and so do not know the level of impact they are having on the planet, and b) are actually having less of an impact on the planet than those in the richest countries - as we have known for some time [source]. To make it easy for you to understand - a person in NA having 1 child is of a greater environmental impact than the equivalent person on the Indochinese Peninsula for example.

Very nice try though, if somewhat inept. I do give you credit for admitting when you're wrong.

What are your opinions on immigration to first world countries?

Immigration? it helps to grease the wheels of capitalism (new consumers buying stuff), as long as they obtain work and do their part it's all good. 

I've seen a few studies suggesting that if all humans had the same consumption/access to goods & services that is available in first world countries the planet could support about 2 Billion people max. If you turn that around and lower the requirements to 3rd world poverty levels meeting basic requirements only (fresh water, food, roof over their heads and very minimal consumption) it could handle close to 15B. Once people get a taste of 1st world luxuries they never want to go back to living in a shack struggling to get by, capitalism thrives on this and there are billions of people who want to "upgrade". My cynical view of all this, the 1st world system will eventually collapse under its own weight of resource requirements, we aren't going to science our way out of this problem. Think of every dystopian science fiction movie including the 2154 world of Avatar which paints a very bleak picture of existence on this planet, billions of people crammed together trying to get by, parts of the world today are already like this and it looks miserable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The funniest thing of entire comic con was meh reaction when James Cameron did live video calling and on top of that zero reaction when he mentioned Pandora, Avatar 2-5 and Edward Furlong returning as John Connor. Like the comic con crowd simply gave no fucks. A sign of things to come. Brace yourselves Disney. They struggle marketing movies that don't have buzz/hype and we will see heads roll in 2021. Only MCU and Stars Wars will save their asses alongwith live action remakes

• Haha 1