Jump to content
Totem

Avatar 2 | 16 DEC 2022 | Delayed again

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

The funniest thing of entire comic con was meh reaction when James Cameron did live video calling and on top of that zero reaction when he mentioned Pandora, Avatar 2-5 and Edward Furlong returning as John Connor. Like the comic con crowd simply gave no fucks. A sign of things to come. Brace yourselves Disney. They struggle marketing movies that don't have buzz/hype and we will see heads roll in 2021. Only MCU and Stars Wars will save their asses alongwith live action remakes

I hope for those around you in real life that you are not as annoying as your forum persona... ;)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

The funniest thing of entire comic con was meh reaction when James Cameron did live video calling and on top of that zero reaction when he mentioned Pandora, Avatar 2-5 and Edward Furlong returning as John Connor. Like the comic con crowd simply gave no fucks. A sign of things to come. Brace yourselves Disney. They struggle marketing movies that don't have buzz/hype and we will see heads roll in 2021. Only MCU and Stars Wars will save their asses alongwith live action remakes

Firstly he did receive plenty of cheering and there was definitely a reaction when he dropped Furlong's name, but I think people were mostly stunned and didn't know how to react, as anyone would be. Regardless, Comiccon isn't a sign of anything to come. You know what other movie's early previews received a tepid reaction from Comiccon? The first Avatar movie. The Comiccon crowd just isn't representative of the general audience. 

 

Like many other comicbook fans, you have no clue what makes Cameron successful. He sells you on the spectacle, he sells you an immersive experience in a believable world. Franchises like Star Wars and the MCU  demand a larger suspension of disbelief from the audience, they are fantasy movies, and it's something that doesn't work for everyone. Not everyone is willing to roll with a raccoon talking to a demi-god, or some guy figuring out time travel in one afternoon. It just doesn't work with everyone. It's why these movies live and die on the hype around them and their fanbase.

 

There was no hype before Titanic released, there was no hype before Avatar released, and then what we know happened. Create an immersive world, create a unique spectacle and you will have an infinite pull with the general audience. I'm not saying Avatar 2 is going to make 3 billion, but I'm not worried at all.

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

kjImmigration? it helps to grease the wheels of capitalism (new consumers buying stuff), as long as they obtain work and do their part it's all good. 

 

I've seen a few studies suggesting that if all humans had the same consumption/access to goods & services that is available in first world countries the planet could support about 2 Billion people max. If you turn that around and lower the requirements to 3rd world poverty levels meeting basic requirements only (fresh water, food, roof over their heads and very minimal consumption) it could handle close to 15B. Once people get a taste of 1st world luxuries they never want to go back to living in a shack struggling to get by, capitalism thrives on this and there are billions of people who want to "upgrade". My cynical view of all this, the 1st world system will eventually collapse under its own weight of resource requirements, we aren't going to science our way out of this problem. Think of every dystopian science fiction movie including the 2154 world of Avatar which paints a very bleak picture of existence on this planet, billions of people crammed together trying to get by, parts of the world today are already like this and it looks miserable. 



This topic is always super interesting to me. Most people cite worldwide population boom as a serious problem, but the circumstances described seem to presume that population boom is happening across the world. The projected population increase is pretty much entirely happening in Africa, by 2050, even India will be entering population plateau, China and most of east Asia, all of Europe, and most of Latin America will start population decline, Canada/Australia/US will barely holding on to growth due to immigration (but not net birth rate). So basically, most of the world will feel similar as it does now, more or less, CAN/AUS/US has tons of space and marginally more people won't make that much of a difference, Most of Europe/China/Japan/Korea will be emptier than they are today. All the cramming of billions of people are going to happen exclusively in Africa and South Asia.

 

This sounds like a highly unstable situation to me, as most of these people will want to move to Europe, North America, Australia and Maybe China/Korea/Japan, will these countries open the floodgate? Will western societies be more receptive of refugees, or became more hardened as the situation may demand.  We might be really moving toward a Alita/Elysium type of world, where there is increasing wealth disparity between Zalem/Elysium part of the world and the rest. Makes me kind of glad to live in the highly resourceful Canada.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's actually a little bit sad to see Avatar deposed by something as corporate as AEG, it's like movie making is going the way of video games, where Fifa and COD just keep coming out each year and selling millions. 

 

The numbers were so insanely manipulated too I think it shows Disney really doesn't care about much, even Iger and Eisner have said  plainly that Disney is about making money and nothing else. 

 

Here's to another hundred live action remakes and Marvel movies eh. I wonder when they'll move onto the 1960s to start dregging up old cultural icons for us all to consume again :whosad:

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
  • Not Cool 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

It's actually a little bit sad to see Avatar deposed by something as corporate as AEG, it's like movie making is going the way of video games, where Fifa and COD just keep coming out each year and selling millions. 

 

The numbers were so insanely manipulated too I think it shows Disney really doesn't care about much, even Iger and Eisner have said  plainly that Disney is about making money and nothing else. 

 

Here's to another hundred live action remakes and Marvel movies eh. I wonder when they'll move onto the 1960s to start dregging up old cultural icons for us all to consume again :whosad:

Ah yes, the meltdowns

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

It's actually a little bit sad to see Avatar deposed by something as corporate as AEG, it's like movie making is going the way of video games, where Fifa and COD just keep coming out each year and selling millions. 

 

The numbers were so insanely manipulated too I think it shows Disney really doesn't care about much, even Iger and Eisner have said  plainly that Disney is about making money and nothing else. 

 

Here's to another hundred live action remakes and Marvel movies eh. I wonder when they'll move onto the 1960s to start dregging up old cultural icons for us all to consume again :whosad:

Eisner did not say that about Disney. Eisner said that movies were about making money. He said that when he was working for Paramount.

Edited by Walt Disney
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

Eisner did not say that about Disney. Eisner said that movies were about making money. He said that when he was working for Paramount.

 “We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.” – Michael Eisner, Disney CEO (1984-2005) he said it in 1981, so he changed his mind in those 3 years? I doubt that. 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hydrogen said:

It's actually a little bit sad to see Avatar deposed by something as corporate as AEG, it's like movie making is going the way of video games, where Fifa and COD just keep coming out each year and selling millions. 

 

LMAO!

 

Like Avatar is some little indie movie.  It cost hundreds of millions of dollars, has FOUR sequels on the way, and there's an entire Avatar Land at Disney World dedicated to it.  

 

That's about as corporate as you can get sweetie.

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

BOM has officially revise Avatar's gross. Weirdly enough, the number was so perfect that DOM+foreign number added up to a perfect round number as below

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic:  $760,507,625    27.3%
Foreign:  $2,029,192,375    72.7%

Worldwide:  $2,789,700,000  
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deep Wang said:

 

LMAO!

 

 Like Avatar is some little indie movie.  It cost hundreds of millions of dollars, has FOUR sequels on the way, and there's an entire Avatar Land at Disney World dedicated to it.  

  

 That's about as corporate as you can get sweetie.

You're intentionally changing the narrative. It's never about being a "little indie movie", there is a reason that we're on a box office website not a annual award season blog. The indie movie industry is actually quite healthy now,  I'm not worried about that. it's the "blockbuster industry" that is the problem. 

 

Despite costing hundred of millions of dollars, Avatar was a singular directorial vision, a original film break out (one of the last of its kind, along with Inception), one of the greatest risks undertaken in films, and brought about massive technological film advancements from performance capture to 3D, and had one of the greatest global box office run of all time. Something can feel fresh and revolutionary without being "a little indie film". We're not lamenting the lost of small budget indies, we're lamenting the loss of groundbreaking original blockbusters that changes the outlook of films.

Despite costing hundred of millions, Avatar is not a pointless reboot of a 80s and 90s franchise, it is not a sequel or spin off and literally everyone dreaded (like Dark Phoenix, or MIB:I), it's not the 10th live action remake of a 90s animated classic, and it is not the 35th installment of the lastest superhero universe with source material dating all the way back to the 1950s. Avatar should not be punished because of its unprecedented success, it was unique because of that.

 

Avatar 2,3,4,5 turning "corporate" doesn't erase the fact that Avatar was this original groundbreaking film deservedly holding the all time crown, you can dispute the sequels being corporate but that has nothing to do with Avatar holding the crown. 

Regarding Avatar 2-5, I see it as Cameron trying to create his own legacy franchise akin to LOTR and Star Wars OT. Would I have preferred him sticking to original films? Probably. But at least Avatar sequels will still be a singular directorial vision, at least they're not based on ancient pre-existing source material and there is a well realized world where the story could literally go anywhere, at least they are a product of this era and not a nostalgia based cash-grab? Does this generation not deserve its own creation and it's own legacy franchise? And if the guy behind Avatar, Titanic, Terminator, True Lies, and The Abyss wants to do a couple of sequels, I say he's earned to right to do it.

 

 

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hydrogen said:

 “We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.” – Michael Eisner, Disney CEO (1984-2005) he said it in 1981, so he changed his mind in those 3 years? I doubt that. 

 

 

What you said was factually incorrect. You said that Eisner said that about Disney. I said that he was talking about movies in general while working at Paramount. Stop trying to backtrack. You were wrong. Accept it and move on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

TBH, all I see and hear is people cheering for a living legend on screen.

The fact that both Russo brothers and Feige all expressed deep admiration for Jim when discussing the record does cement his living legend status, comic-con crowd cheering or not:)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

You're intentionally changing the narrative. It's never about being a "little indie movie", there is a reason that we're on a box office website not a annual award season blog. The indie movie industry is actually quite healthy now,  I'm not worried about that. it's the "blockbuster industry" that is the problem. 

 

Despite costing hundred of millions of dollars, Avatar was a singular directorial vision, a original film break out (one of the last of its kind, along with Inception), one of the greatest risks undertaken in films, and brought about massive technological film advancements from performance capture to 3D, and had one of the greatest global box office run of all time. Something can feel fresh and revolutionary without being "a little indie film". We're not lamenting the lost of small budget indies, we're lamenting the loss of groundbreaking original blockbusters that changes the outlook of films.

Despite costing hundred of millions, Avatar is not a pointless reboot of a 80s and 90s franchise, it is not a sequel or spin off and literally everyone dreaded (like Dark Phoenix, or MIB:I), it's not the 10th live action remake of a 90s animated classic, and it is not the 35th installment of the lastest superhero universe with source material dating all the way back to the 1950s. Avatar should not be punished because of its unprecedented success, it was unique because of that.

 

Avatar 2,3,4,5 turning "corporate" doesn't erase the fact that Avatar was this original groundbreaking film deservedly holding the all time crown, you can dispute the sequels being corporate but that has nothing to do with Avatar holding the crown. 

Regarding Avatar 2-5, I see it as Cameron trying to create his own legacy franchise akin to LOTR and Star Wars OT. Would I have preferred him sticking to original films? Probably. But at least Avatar sequels will still be a singular directorial vision, at least they're not based on ancient pre-existing source material and there is a well realized world where the story could literally go anywhere, at least they are a product of this era and not a nostalgia based cash-grab? Does this generation not deserve its own creation and it's own legacy franchise? And if the guy behind Avatar, Titanic, Terminator, True Lies, and The Abyss wants to do a couple of sequels, I say he's earned to right to do it.

 

 

What a long way of saying @Deep Wang you're right.

  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.