Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

In my opinion this is a good thing for Avatar, it will remove the box office bullseye off Cameron's back and stick it somewhere else. Disney could not be happier. 

Curious to see if Jim releases a public statement like he did when EG passed Titanic. 

Jim puts the pressure on himself, that's all that matters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

His Titanic was glorious, hope he does another like that.

Is still the supreme bo champion of all time.in one run for a reason as well. Avatar still

dominates end game.in ticket sales and using china and Japan and what Avatar did domestically we should beat endgame by 1.5-2.2 billion gap. Which would be astounding!!! avatar 2 even.after 10 yrs would show Jc fans have no.equal

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Eh, a friendly reminder:

We are on a box office forum, we are in a thread of a film directed by the king of box office, we are living in capitalistic societies and the film industry exist with making money as one primary goal. Why are there people running around reminding us that Avatar is a corporate product, as if that is news?

the point of discussion is not the word "corporate", but the groundbreaking nature of the original Avatar and the value it held by holding on to that crown, as well as how Avatar sequels are more in the veins of Star Wars OT and LOTR films, compared to what's dominating the market right now. 

Well said you wont see Eg or fast and the furious with 11 and 6 oscars a piece or 70 and 50 plus.film awards each to solidify that point Ncsoft.just made. Cheers

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Walt Disney said:

What you said was factually incorrect. You said that Eisner said that about Disney. I said that he was talking about movies in general while working at Paramount. Stop trying to backtrack. You were wrong. Accept it and move on. 

I never said Eisner said it about Disney, learn to read. 

5 hours ago, NCsoft said:

You're intentionally changing the narrative. It's never about being a "little indie movie", there is a reason that we're on a box office website not a annual award season blog. The indie movie industry is actually quite healthy now,  I'm not worried about that. it's the "blockbuster industry" that is the problem. 

Despite costing hundred of millions of dollars, Avatar was a singular directorial vision, a original film break out (one of the last of its kind, along with Inception), one of the greatest risks undertaken in films, and brought about massive technological film advancements from performance capture to 3D, and had one of the greatest global box office run of all time. Something can feel fresh and revolutionary without being "a little indie film". We're not lamenting the lost of small budget indies, we're lamenting the loss of groundbreaking original blockbusters that changes the outlook of films.

Despite costing hundred of millions, Avatar is not a pointless reboot of a 80s and 90s franchise, it is not a sequel or spin off and literally everyone dreaded (like Dark Phoenix, or MIB:I), it's not the 10th live action remake of a 90s animated classic, and it is not the 35th installment of the lastest superhero universe with source material dating all the way back to the 1950s. Avatar should not be punished because of its unprecedented success, it was unique because of that.

Avatar 2,3,4,5 turning "corporate" doesn't erase the fact that Avatar was this original groundbreaking film deservedly holding the all time crown, you can dispute the sequels being corporate but that has nothing to do with Avatar holding the crown. 

Regarding Avatar 2-5, I see it as Cameron trying to create his own legacy franchise akin to LOTR and Star Wars OT. Would I have preferred him sticking to original films? Probably. But at least Avatar sequels will still be a singular directorial vision, at least they're not based on ancient pre-existing source material and there is a well realized world where the story could literally go anywhere, at least they are a product of this era and not a nostalgia based cash-grab? Does this generation not deserve its own creation and it's own legacy franchise? And if the guy behind Avatar, Titanic, Terminator, True Lies, and The Abyss wants to do a couple of sequels, I say he's earned to right to do it.

NCSoft challenging Scholar for the record of most Wang blow outs. :Gaga:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 2

37 minutes ago, Hydrogen said:

Looking at the quality of people like @NCsoft and @JamesCameronScholar's pots in comparison to yours and @cdsacken is a really damning indictment of the american education system tbh XD Canada much smarter and wherever JCS is from. sacken even tried to defend having children as not-selfish which I am still confused about 😂

You seem to have quite a far-right attitude, nicht wahr?

@Sheldon Cr may also find it harder to use certain words or write perfect sentences. Do we make fun of him for that? I think not. It wasn't even pointed out until now.

Stop being arrogant, you're not superior by preferring Avatar to Endgame, same applies to EG stans as well. Everyone's opinion should count just the same, no matter what country you're from, or how good your writing skills are. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ilikegreen said:

Cinema is officially dead.

I don't think there will ever be an original film to be the highest grossing film again. This marks the end of an era and quite frankly I don't see things getting better. Not that I was an Avatar fan, in fact one of my main critiques was that it plot felt kind of thin and it lacked proper character development. But REGARDLESS of how you feel about Avatar, this should be alarming for any true lover of film because the signs have been pointing to what has been gradually happening to this industry for a while now. I guess keeping the tradition that the highest grossing film through out history were always original film was the last beacon of hope I had for an industry that has throughout the years become increasingly corporate and devoid of soul. I think the shining light in all of this was that there had always been that belief that even if original big-budget films were a risk, there was always that chance that you might make the next ET or Titanic.

At a time when all the big-budget fare is superheroes, sequels, and franchises; at a time when mid-budget films are being financed less and less frequently with each passing year; at a time when certain genres of film are flat out on life support (i.e comedies and dramas)...it was refreshing to know that there was at least SOMETHING that motivated Hollywood to still search for that next fresh and original idea. And, yes, often times they failed but every once in a while they found magic and something like Star Wars would be born and take the world's imagination by storm. The public has spoken: Corporate products SELL.  Safe and familiar SELLS. Inoffensive family-friendly fare SELLS. Is it sad to see this happening? I'm not going to lie, for me, it absolutely is but at the end of the day things will unfold the way they unfold. Just like how the newspaper came and went, maybe this too was always the trajectory for film and I'm grateful I got a chance to experience some of that magic growing up. The tradition of the all-time record being held by an original film was the canary in the coal mine of a rapidly changing industry...and that canary is dead. 

Cinema is not officially dead, this is actually one of the best days in cinema history, so much so that its got me to open up this thread.  emot-smug.gif

And at least these latest avengers movies actually have something memorable about them, that being Thanos, easily the best CGI character since Gollum, not some visually impressive but "who gives a fuck" character like Davy Jones or [insert Avatar character].

• ...wtf 2

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Serious question for the mods now: @DeeCee @aabattery etc. etc. can we get this thread moved to On the Lot? Being 2 and a half years away (and way more since the it's been around for a long time now) why is it here??

Why would you want your favourite thread moved to a sub forum JBrent3?

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Serious question for the mods now: @DeeCee @aabattery etc. etc. can we get this thread moved to On the Lot? Being 2 and a half years away (and way more since the it's been around for a long time now) why is it here??

Considering it's been filming for quite a long time, I don't a reason to put it in the On the Lot section since its definitely coming out and is way past the development stage.

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Why would you want your favourite thread moved to a sub forum JBrent3?

Because On the Lot is a very special sub forum for very special movies. I want this one to be given the greatest care and honours possible. :)

6 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Because On the Lot is a very special sub forum for very special movies. I want this one to be given the greatest care and honours possible. :)

Sounds like a place made especially for you JB, I hope you get to post there more frequently.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Sounds like a place made especially for you JB, I hope you get to post there more frequently.

Oh no I never venture there. I'm too down to earth. Only Cameron fans' pedestals are high enough to reach it.

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

In my opinion this is a good thing for Avatar, it will remove the box office bullseye off Cameron's back and stick it somewhere else. Disney could not be happier. 

Curious to see if Jim releases a public statement like he did when EG passed Titanic. 

He already did one for Titanic so if he doesn't that's fine. I hope Avatar 2 takes it down mainly because I want there to be lots of Avatars with massive outrageous budgets. 

I believe Avatar 2 will be great, curious to see what the reception will look like. I suspect it to be incredible in the US and in China for sure.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Is still the supreme bo champion of all time.in one run for a reason as well. Avatar still

dominates end game.in ticket sales and using china and Japan and what Avatar did domestically we should beat endgame by 1.5-2.2 billion gap. Which would be astounding!!! avatar 2 even.after 10 yrs would show Jc fans have no.equal

Titanic is the gone with the wind of this era. Lord knows what will ever compare. Maybe Avatar 5 with 5 billion. That sounds nice.

2 hours ago, Hydrogen said:

Looking at the quality of people like @NCsoft and @JamesCameronScholar's pots in comparison to yours and @cdsacken is a really damning indictment of the american education system tbh XD Canada much smarter and wherever JCS is from. sacken even tried to defend having children as not-selfish which I am still confused about 😂

You tend to insult people a lot. Not surprising I guess.

• Thanks 1