Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

31 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Kal! Cameron and Lightstorm own the Avatar IP! Disney is just distributing and producing.

So that means he may definitely get 60-70% of the overall franchise...Wow

Not mention disney is.not allowed to mess with Avatar at all or.the deal with.fox originally or Cameron can take Avatar to another rival studio. Wow Jimbo that isnt the kinda power filmmakers can demand. In fact only one name Lucas comes to mind. So there will be no.micromanaging of anything Avatar like there was in the case of sws, Spiderman 3, age of ultron and other franchises ruined by corp interference.

👍. Jim made sure fox or any company that acquire fox studios knew this is his land and you only rent to play here in Pandora Lol.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

So that means he may definitely get 60-70% of the overall franchise...Wow

Not mention disney is.not allowed to mess with Avatar at all or.the deal with.fox originally or Cameron can take Avatar to another rival studio. Wow Jimbo that isnt the kinda power filmmakers can demand. In fact only one name Lucas comes to mind. So there will be no.micromanaging of anything Avatar like there was in the case of sws, Spiderman 3, age of ultron and other franchises ruined by corp interference.

👍. Jim made sure fox or any company that acquire fox studios knew this is his land and you only rent to play here in Pandora Lol.

Jim's always hated suits trying to tell him how to direct his movie, the clowns get put in their place

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Actually a Cameron and Disney franchise. 

My point was that “Disney fanboys” are not against this film, siince it’s a Disney film. So the idea that some people think they are seems silly to me. 

Edited by Walt Disney
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Lots of folks hating on the brilliance of Avatar and it just by far being the biggest success story since james camerons own Titanic. Took 10 yrs of inflation and re-release to beat the film and over 300 % more screens OS and certainly more screens domestically. Adjusted Avatar is easily still the king of the era after titanic for incredible one run movies. Endgame and Force awakens achieved some.legendary stats regardless. Still there's only one Avatar and now we get ready.to see what an Avatar 2 today will do in the same level.of theatsrs as force awakens and endgame will end up with in one run. Can james cameron.pull a 3 peat world box office breaker. Some say 3.5, some say 4b plus, some say 5bill ww is in the cards. But could it even surpass these numbers. Going to see if what kind of increase can happen if james wows the movie world on the level of his T2, Titanic and Avatar yet again.

T2 the biggest sequel increase of all time and Titanic the greatest bo run domestically and os of all time and over affect on the world by a film possiblyof all time.  This is the Cameron perfection epic  level movie making effect.

The alpha dog Titanic destroyed all new barriers of domestic and os box office( lol made nearly 2billion in 1997-1998😱😱, dominated the news, awards domestically and overseas bilboard, home video charts, internetvand merchandise during that 1997-2001 era. It made decapio the fast 20 mil for one pic star in history. 

Crazy times ahead and Jc is coming big-time with Juggernaut 2021(Avatar 2 may have.no limits!)

Kalofbom 2002

I think it will be tough to do as well moneywise as the original but I hope it has better visuals. The original blew my mind I can't believe it has been 10 years!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Matt Damon turned down a role in the first Avatar even though Cameron offered him a 10% profit cut. https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/matt-damon-christian-bale-ford-v-ferrari-interview

That would have never gone through, no way Jimbo giving up 10% profits to an actor

15 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That would have never gone through, no way Jimbo giving up 10% profits to an actor

What, why ? How much do you think Arnold made on Terminator 2 or True Lies, DiCaprio on Titanic ?

20M + 10% gross (but only 20% home video) was quite the norm during that time I think, 10% profit would not have been particularly big.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

What, why ? How much do you think Arnold made on Terminator 2 or True Lies, DiCaprio on Titanic ?

20M + 10% gross (but only 20% home video) was quite the norm during that time I think, 10% profit would not have been particularly big.

I think IronJimbo just couldn't compute the idea that an actor turned down Cameron.

Still, would have been a hell of a payday for Damon.

Edited by Hatebox

15 hours ago, Barnack said:

Without having checked i'm pretty sure DiCaprio made chump change on Titanic. Wasn't he basically a nobody back then?

24 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Without having checked i'm pretty sure DiCaprio made chump change on Titanic. Wasn't he basically a nobody back then?

Definitely not. He already had several big films and he cut his fee for that movie to take a small percentage of revenue. Made $50 million. However it was in the early part of his career post TV

Edited by cdsacken

30 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Definitely not. He already had several big films and he cut his fee for that movie to take a small percentage of revenue. Made $50 million. However it was in the early part of his career post TV

Sure, he had some good gigs as a child / young adult actor but that didn't put him in the position to ask for a cut of a big film's revenue, yet.

I did a search on google and yes, a quote comes up that states exactly what you wrote but when you click on it to get to the source article you'll notice that the article wasn't even talking about Titanic but Inception, he got 50m for Inception. So a misquote.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Sure, he had some good gigs as a child / young adult actor but that didn't put him in the position to ask for a cut of a big film's revenue, yet.

I did a search on google and yes, a quote comes up that states exactly what you wrote but when you click on it to get to the source article you'll notice that the article wasn't even talking about Titanic but Inception, he got 50m for Inception. So a misquote.

Agreed he was only 23 at the time of Titanic's release, he can thank this movie for making him a mega star. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000138/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Elessar said:

I do not think you needed to be a particularly big name to get some participation points (not necessarily access to full video, nor first dollar gross or a big %) on a lead role of a giant studio movie during that era, but DiCaprio was an Oscar nominated that was already a bit of a known name in Japan and elsewhere by the time Titanic released, rumors for what they worst were about an 40-50m type on a million that made I am not sure how much over the decades but probably not too far from 2 billion, that a 2-3% type of deal.

Everyone with speaking line in that movie probably made good money, even if you had only one you made nearly 50k in residual over the year,s apparently:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2302792/how-much-a-titanic-actor-with-one-line-has-earned-in-residuals

Even with SAG minimum I would imagine it would have been quite the payday for the 2 lead.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Elessar said:

DiCaprio made 2 -3 mil for the titan..However after titan greatest box office run of all-time,  Leo became the fastest 20 mil a pic star in history for awhile. No way he was going to get a studio cut at that point in his career though. So yes indeed 50 mil was a misquote lol

Edited by Sheldon Cr