Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

22 hours ago, Eric #TeamKong said:

Moderation

This is my one and only warning. If I see any Fanboy Wars nonsense, including trolling Marvel/Avatar fans, conspiracy nonsense, insults, endless flame wars, etc., over Avatar becoming #1 again, you will be threadbanned in this thread or any others where this takes place. No exceptions! I’m already seeing some funny business from a poster or two and I don’t like it. So play nice or get out

A bit boring for me, but if this is how the site is now then so be it.

Anyway I made a prediction sometime ago that Avatar will be the first 3 billie movie and A2 will be the first 4 billie movie. That prediction is looking pretty strong still.

Avatar has earned about $3.5M on Friday in China, and looking at the presales, Saturday will easily double that amount, which means by afternoon Saturday China Time, Avatar will have (in actuality) reclaimed the the title of "the highest grossing film of all time ".

With this pandemic and its effects on theatrical attendance in the west, my original conviction in the box office performance of Avatar 2 is a bit shaken, but having Avatar back at the top still feels great! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NCsoft said:

Avatar has earned about $3.5M on Friday in China, and looking at the presales, Saturday will easily double that amount, which means by afternoon Saturday China Time, Avatar will have (in actuality) reclaimed the the title of "the highest grossing film of all time ".

With this pandemic and its effects on theatrical attendance in the west, my original conviction in the box office performance of Avatar 2 is a bit shaken, but having Avatar back at the top still feels great! 

its irratating because I predicted over $3b so many times so confidently but I cant say how comfortable people will be with others in public places in Dec 2022. I can say for sure it will smash everything around it and help revive cinema but i cant say 3 billies with a straight face until cinemas back

• Like 1

Very nice. Natural order is restored. Just wish the re-release would not have been at such short notice. Might have performed better. Me, never satisfied.* ;)

EDIT:

*Also, it needs to fend off the eventual Endgame re-release, so every dollar counts. :)

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 2

Classy of marvel. Granted end game will do monstrous numbers on rerelease.

Dear god Avatar 2 you better effing come out in 2022. I'm tired of this wasteland of crap this year. I need something to look forward to. Also I want to see Avatar and Avatar 2

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Very nice. Natural order is restored. Just wish the re-release would not have been at such short notice. Might have performed better. Me, never satisfied.* ;)

EDIT:

*Also, it needs to fend off the eventual Endgame re-release, so every dollar counts. :)

Yeah, unfortunately I think money is left on the table, what could have been a $100M+ re-run in China is now probably a $55M to $60M run, which, as far as re-release go is still very impressive!

Also, still expecting some sort of rerelease globally in anticipation to the sequel, I still need to see it in theatre again! 😀

• Like 1

17 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

You can expect the marketing for this to go somewhere along the line of “the sequel to the highest grossing movie of all time!”

I'm expecting a full re-release of the first movie that will include a world premier trailer for A2 to arrive early in 2022. It wouldn't surprise me if they add some deleted scenes to flesh out the story even more and perhaps give the CGI work a bit of an upgrade to look more like the sequels. I'm very confident that Dec 2022 will be the DATE, no more delays. 

4 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

I'm expecting a full re-release of the first movie that will include a world premier trailer for A2 to arrive early in 2022. It wouldn't surprise me if they add some deleted scenes to flesh out the story even more and perhaps give the CGI work a bit of an upgrade to look more like the sequels. I'm very confident that Dec 2022 will be the DATE, no more delays. 

I’m not a fan of remastering the CGI, it’s a film, not a remastered video game, I’d rather it look like it did in 2009, plus upgrading it would surely be an insult to the original visual effects artists. The CGI doesn’t actually need work anyway, I watched it again in 3D last year and it still looks stunning, visually it could still go toe to toe with any blockbuster released today.

• Like 2

Brand new 16 minute interview with James Cameron (go to 32 minute mark in the video). 

Quick recap

- They are currently at 15 Petabytes of data and they're not done yet

- The level of image detail far exceeds what we saw in the first movie 

- Avatar 2 is on schedule for Dec 2022

- It will be offered in 3D and higher frame rate 48fps

- He wants to push up the release date for Avatar 3 to Dec 2023 

- How these two sequels do will determine if they proceed and finish A4-5, they are written/done he did mention that work on Avatar is planned to run until 2028. 

- He's pushing the envelope again big time and wants to eventually push these new advancements down to other film makers (lower-mid level) budgets once the new process' can be streamlined and simplified. 

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/events/products/poweredge-innovations/keynote.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2