Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Thanks for sharing.

Interestingly, he said "some" shots will be rendered in 4k. I assumed the entirety will be in 4k but i guess that's still too much data and rendering time even with today's technology, especially on a native 3D movie which doubles the required data and having HFR on top of that which doubles it again (not to mention the scale the movie's at).

So it seems the whole movie will be in 48 frames per second, because there were discussions about doing just some shots in HFR, like actions shots with lots of fast movement, i think partially in response to the audience reaction to The Hobbit. We'll see how that will go...

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The whole movie in 48 fps would be great. Gemini Man already did a pretty good job of implementing HFR (much better than The Hobbit did) and with this being a Cameron film, the implementation is likely gonna be better than Gemini Man.

I would need a chat with an expert on this. For me, as a layman, it doesn't make any sense that there is good or bad implementation of 48fps. You basically flick a switch and let the camera take twice as many images per second (speaking of live action shooting). There's no magic in it. I don't see anyone discussing which 24fps film looks better in terms of motion, why would 48fps be any different?

Gemini Man was shot at 120fps, maybe that makes it look different but then again, the higher you go with fps the less difference you see, diminishing returns basically. Plus it might have been shot at 120fps but i doubt anyone has seen it in at that frame rate because i don't think many theaters if any are capable of showing that.

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

You basically flick a switch and let the camera take twice as many images per second (speaking of live action shooting). There's no magic in it. I don't see anyone discussing which 24fps film looks better in terms of motion, why would 48fps be any different?

This would be purely speculation of my part but if you have less time to capture an image do you need to up the light intensity ?

And other factor would be blurring algorithm (some things are not natural to not appear to be blurry that appear clear when filmed in high frame rate and it become an artistic choice if you want people to see it and feel strange about it a bit like in video games).

I guess Jim was having a media relations day this week....here's a long 1 hour interview that deep dives into Avatar and topics that link directly into the movie, unfortunately no reveals about the sequels except for one. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I guess Jim was having a media relations day this week....here's a long 1 hour interview that deep dives into Avatar and topics that link directly into the movie, unfortunately no reveals about the sequels except for one. 

enjoyed this interview

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, lorddemaxus said:

The whole movie in 48 fps would be great. Gemini Man already did a pretty good job of implementing HFR (much better than The Hobbit did) and with this being a Cameron film, the implementation is likely gonna be better than Gemini Man.

Hobbit movie kind of soured me on 48 FPS for cinema, but if Cameron is implementing it I will trust him. I would have had the same doubts about 3D before Avatar.

Edited by Nerfy
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 4:41 AM, Barnack said:

This would be purely speculation of my part but if you have less time to capture an image do you need to up the light intensity ?

And other factor would be blurring algorithm (some things are not natural to not appear to be blurry that appear clear when filmed in high frame rate and it become an artistic choice if you want people to see it and feel strange about it a bit like in video games).

Yeah, iirc one of the problems Ang Lee had was with the lighting.

Avatar was #1 in China again this weekend, adding another $14 million to its total. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/china-box-office-avatar-adds-14m-to-all-time-global-record

Chinese slapstick comedy 'Overall Planning' and STX's '21 Bridges' both fell flat, opening to just $2.7 million and $2.3 million.

James Cameron's Avatar again dominated China's box office over the weekend, adding $14.1 million to its record as the world's top-grossing film of all time.

Over the past 10 days, the 2009 blockbuster has earned $41 million on rerelease, lifting its career total in China to $250.2 million. The return of Cameron's sci-fi fantasy event movie came as something of a surprise to China's moviegoers, after regulators cleared the film for re-release just three days in advance.

Not surprisingly, Cameron's VFX-driven 3D vision of Pandora has proved especially popular on Imax. The rerelease has earned $13.1 million of its total so far from Imax theaters, with the Imax network taking approximately 30 percent of sales despite accounting for only 1 percent of total screens in China.

Avatar had held the title of world's biggest blockbuster for nearly a decade until Marvel's 2019 juggernaut Avengers: Endgame nudged ahead in 2019 earning $2.7902 billion. As of Sunday, though, Avatar again has a substantial lead, with $2.8302 billion and counting.

• Like 2

So original release was $209M? Did Fox also inflated China.

I never really checked, assuming it would have done that much, but China gross was ¥1,339,885,000 i.e. $196,180,000. Since China had fixed exchange rate of $ = ¥6.83, there isn't any complication like exchange rate fluctuation during the run.

I for one know that India gross is inflated by $10M by Fox Star. Didn't realise they did China too.

Edit: Checked, there's no official announcement for $250M. THR did the piece on their own. Also total till Sunday is $44M.

But Mojo has China reported at $205M, so Fox did inflate $9M Approx.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

53 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I never really checked, assuming it would have done that much, but China gross was ¥1,339,885,000 i.e. $196,180,000. Since China had fixed exchange rate of $ = ¥6.83, there isn't any complication like exchange rate fluctuation during the run.

I for one know that India gross is inflated by $10M by Fox Star. Didn't realise they did China too.

Edit: Checked, there's no official announcement for $250M. THR did the piece on their own. Also total till Sunday is $44M.

Couldn't it be the service booking charge that Fox decided to include them just like how China include them after 2016.

8 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Couldn't it be the service booking charge that Fox decided to include them just like how China include them after 2016.

Nope. They reported $204M back in 2010 only. Probably boosted it to get over $200M. Wonder if Fox Star was handling things in Asia back then. India numbers were inflated by a solid $10M. Avatar grossed $17M but is reported $27.5M.

10 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

source

Edited by IronJimbo

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Do you not have the links? I only know English sites

This is official CBO website: https://zgdypw.cn/. Use google translate, or not the first film listed will be Avatar.

The numbers for yesterday aren't posted yet, will be posted in few minutes/hours. The total will be around ¥1.634B, including re-release total till yesterday of ¥294.6M. Removing that original gross will be ¥1.339B.

Edit: Oh there's this website which have official numbers listed too. Avatar is on page 3.

https://www.endata.com.cn/BoxOffice/BO/History/Movie/Alltimedomestic.html

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

This is official CBO website: https://zgdypw.cn/. Use google translate, or not the first film listed will be Avatar.

The numbers for yesterday aren't posted yet, will be posted in few minutes/hours. The total will be around ¥1.634B, including re-release total till yesterday of ¥294.6M. Removing that original gross will be ¥1.339B.

Edit: Oh there's this website which have official numbers listed too. Avatar is on page 3.

https://www.endata.com.cn/BoxOffice/BO/History/Movie/Alltimedomestic.html

amazing, thank you

A short and very recent chat with Arnold, not much revealed except that they are now in "editing" mode. All actors are done their work for A2-3 and parts of 4. Arnold tries to get a reveal or two out of Jim, no go. 

• Like 2