Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

This reminds me.

In an interview with India TV, Govinda said, "I gave the title of the film (Avatar). It turned out to be a super hit film. I had informed him (James Cameron, the director of Avatar) that the film will do really well."

He added, "I told him that I feel it will take seven years for him to complete the film. He got angry. When I said so, he asked, How can you be so sure that I won't be able to make Avatar for seven years?' I told him that what he was imagining was something almost impossible. That he has named his film 'Avatar', but he is showing aliens."

Poor guy was trolled heavily.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:34 AM, WittyUsername said:

The first film had a pretty big cultural impact back in the day, but it seemed to fade away from the pop culture zeitgeist after 2011. The countless delays for the sequels and the return of Star Wars might have played a hand in that. 

I think Avatar stunned people with it's visuals, but the fact is it charecers were not really all the memorable in way that other franchises were.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, WittyUsername said:

It’s going to a very surreal experience when the trailer for this finally drops. 

Any dates. I hope theaters come back to normal somehow. I would love the mega box office return of avatar. Wow over 13 years for a sequel

43 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I know man. I was watching troy the other day and titanic. Horners music is just memorizing. I think he also did Bravehearts score with Gibson

Actually, not a fan of the Troy score, it felt half-hearted. Titanic and Braveheart, though, are some of the best film scores ever created.

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Actually, not a fan of the Troy score, it felt half-hearted. Titanic and Braveheart, though, are some of the best film scores ever created.

`

well he did have about 2 hours to write the thing...

On 6/14/2021 at 7:34 PM, WittyUsername said:

The first film had a pretty big cultural impact back in the day, but it seemed to fade away from the pop culture zeitgeist after 2011. The countless delays for the sequels and the return of Star Wars might have played a hand in that. 

I think people feel this movie faded away sinply because there hasn't been sequels. Reality is it's just old without any spinoffs to keep it relevant. Star Wars too would have felt like it faded away in 1977 had they not made a sequel for 13 years. 

Avatar became the cool movie to shit on over the past few years. Some feel if they announce their dislike for really popular movies, others will see them as more interesting people but tends to have an opposite effect. Reality is people love Avatar, they just don't feel the need to talk about it constantly 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Avatar 2 is going to underperform. People don't like the first film any more because it's a rippoff of so many other things that are better. Another big thing is it has to deal with Aquaman 2. Aquaman 2 will be huge and hurt Avatar 2 legs worldwide.

You think Aquaman 2 will make more money than Avatar 2? 😂

24 minutes ago, superheavysun said:

Avatar 2 is going to underperform. People don't like the first film any more because it's a rippoff of so many other things that are better. Another big thing is it has to deal with Aquaman 2. Aquaman 2 will be huge and hurt Avatar 2 legs worldwide.

Blah blah blah.  All these so-called "critiques" were around when the first film was released.  So myopic.  

Having said that, yeah, Aqua2 and Avat2 might end up having some very similar themes and constructs (underwater)...

They're currently scheduled for exactly the same date.  I don't think that's happening.  I think it's very possible that one of these will move...again.  

• Like 1

It all depends on whether the effects in this one will be worth the hype. If Cameron has truly delivered a leap forward like the first one had, then the sky is the limit imo. I'm quite excited to see what he has in store. The first, while the story/characters were merely passable, had a truly immersive world and the visual ambition was awesome to behold. I don't think there has been a blockbuster since that has matched it in that department. If this one can match it then I will be there opening weekend. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, superheavysun said:

The problem I have with this argument is most MCU movies follow the same formula but we still love them. Avatar had a similar story to Dancing with Wolves, last samurai and that children's film sure, but they were also popular. Just like Inception was similar to Matrix, and the Matrix was had a very similar back story to Terminator, Cameron's previous work.

What makes me laugh is how people use this to shit on Avatar despite it being one of the most originals blockbusters to come out of the last 12 years. I don't remember many other movies featuring a disabled guy transferring himself to an Alien body and taking us on a trip quite like Avatar. The connection that made to the audience really worked. The filmmaking as a whole is just a cut above anything released today and clearly show the work of a crew that's put their craft into every single shot. Even the MCU has poor filmmaking moments at times due to the relentless time schedule. We should be celebrating this movies success, not kicking it down  whilst sequels and remakes crowd the market.

The story though simple and similar is purposely made for a worldwide audience. Themes of spirituality and the importance of Mother Earth though heavy handed, is easily translatable to practically every culture on the planet. It may not have the complexity of TDK or the western political commentary of MCU movies because its goal was to make a film for everyone, not just the nerds like me and you who may appreciate the likes of Dune more than this.

As for Aquaman 2.... Nah. The guys been working on underwater tech for years. There is a higher chance Avatar makes more than Aquaman in China alone than there is for Aquaman to outgross it. Avatar 1 made 200m in China when the market was less than 10% of what it was pre pandemic. A drop in most other markets seems innevtable though, but then again if Cameron nails it, it's hard to not see this opening over 200m and with amazing WOM at Christmas, it will be hard to see it's multiplier go under 3.5. 

It still amazes me how studios didn't utilise that December 18th spot for blockbusters more. It took Disney to break that trend

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Menor said:

It all depends on whether the effects in this one will be worth the hype. If Cameron has truly delivered a leap forward like the first one had, then the sky is the limit imo. I'm quite excited to see what he has in store. The first, while the story/characters were merely passable, had a truly immersive world and the visual ambition was awesome to behold. I don't think there has been a blockbuster since that has matched it in that department. If this one can match it then I will be there opening weekend. 

There aren't many films that I feel I HAVE to see in the cinema. Even Endgame, as a film its just as enjoyable on a TV at home, what made that worth the trip was the roaring audience you got with it, and the need to not be spoilt.

Avatar is that rare movie that's truly made for the cinema

2 hours ago, superheavysun said:

Aquaman have worse audience reception than Avatar in every metric lol. Do you really believe the sequel will somehow beat Avatar based on what?

I think some people believe too much in a loud but small group of people who think hate Avatar is cool. 

Let me tell you the truth: nobody cares about the people who keep saying that no one likes the movie and that is not memorable. This movie made impressive money in China last year in a re-release without any big promotion, guess why? Because GP likes it. 

The Avatar ride on Disney Parks is one of the most succesful they ever made, people remember the movie, they just don't talk about it (because there's nothing to talk anyway). 

I'm not coming here to say this will be the first 3B grosser, it's impossible to predict that. But when Disney start the massive campaign everyone will remember they watched the original, and majority of people have great experience with it because there's no movie that people dislike and have a 10x multiplier and gross 2.8B, majority will go see the sequel. Actually i bet many of the people on social media that keep saying every week that nobody remember this movie will watch it too on first weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2