Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 11/24/2021 at 2:34 AM, WittyUsername said:

1000 pages without so much as a single teaser. I know this thread is 10 years old, but that’s got to be a record, right?

That explains a lot about Avatar 2. The box office and record crushing within few days is undeniable.

5 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Considering the eons its taking to release, it has to break those records. This thread has been around from the time this forum existed 🙂 At this rate I am hoping Jim does not run out of time to complete the franchise. 

How would Jim run out of time? Is the Universe going to collapse?

5 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think the actual page count be 1100 considering all the deleted posts in this thread.

Probably far greater yes. We have to adjust for moderation deflation.

4 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

will there be some type announcement teaser out during Christmas?

I'm hoping for 16th Dec, but won't be holding my breath.

11 minutes ago, TheDude391 said:

With China cracking down on Hollywood films (No Way Home releasing there is looking dicier), what are the odds this one may face the same fate? Especially since it would probably topple whatever their highest grossing local films are.

The odds are as good as any other film from what I can tell.

Hell, a year from now they may not be allowing any US films to be shown. 

7 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

With China cracking down on Hollywood films (No Way Home releasing there is looking dicier), what are the odds this one may face the same fate? Especially since it would probably topple whatever their highest grossing local films are.

I don't think we need to worry about Avatar 2. Hallelujah will take care.

13 hours ago, Noctis said:

Why is China being so strict with the films being released there?

Because the Chinese government recognizes that the US is a failing state and that the 21st century will belong to them in a decade or two.   They want to shape the world in their own image and you can't exactly do that just through economic and military might alone.  Importing lots of foreign art, culture, and media that is contrary to their worldview can disrupt that long term project.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Noctis said:

Why is China being so strict with the films being released there?

7 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

I actually explained once but moderator edited that it is not suitable to be place in the forum. (at China at Box office #General Discussion)

Boulderdash.  If we can't talk about how a country's politics and culture affect their own box office and any potential Hollywood imports, in any one of these forums, what's the point?  Here are two recent Variety pieces worth looking at.  

https://variety.com/2021/film/asia/hollywood-china-box-office-eternals-shang-chi-2021-1235045498/

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/china-box-office-2021-hollywood-pandemic-1235115853/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Because the Chinese government recognizes that the US is a failing state and that the 21st century will belong to them in a decade or two.   They want to shape the world in their own image and you can't exactly do that just through economic and military might alone.  Importing lots of foreign art, culture, and media that is contrary to their worldview can disrupt that long term project.

A failing state may be too hyperbolic, but China's reach is always economical and rarely through art. No matter what it tries to do, it won't have the West's reach in cinema. Not even close. 

I mean, China's impact in the arts (movies, shows, etc) is miniscule compared to Japan and South Korea.

• Like 2