Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

A failing state may be too hyperbolic, but China's reach is always economical and rarely through art. No matter what it tries to do, it won't have the West's reach in cinema. Not even close. 

I mean, China's impact in the arts (movies, shows, etc) is miniscule compared to Japan and South Korea.

They understand cultural hegemony. They read enough Gramsci.

3 hours ago, Noctis said:

I mean, China's impact in the arts (movies, shows, etc) is miniscule compared to Japan and South Korea.

Now, lately, yes.  Donnie Yen agrees -- he's talking about the Hong Kong action style, particularly...but anyone who's been paying attention knows that Hong Kong has ceased to be Hong Kong anymore, it is now effectively an arm of China.  

https://www.tatlerasia.com/culture/entertainment/donnie-yen-john-wick-keanu-reeves?fbclid=IwAR2VS2H2_sPtZE1vVWMhC_y9DZCdm2TDrn7z_L1__f0M7bWQrqbNzzrccnw

And China is insulating itself with its own blockbusters, lately.  

This is why Cameron remains King -- he makes films that cross cultural and linguistic borders with ease -- I expect Avatar 2 will be no different.  

• Like 1

It's a matter of politics. As a disclaimer, I strongly oppose people passing fake reviews before genuinely watching it at screens. I expected Hollywood to be beated badly, when media provoked China that TBALC is a Chinese Propaganda. Later on, all the upcoming hyped movies did not got dates, &still would not be getting. When ever, might be case, but I do not like these kind of stupidity. Again, they provoke the CFA, when NTTD passed F9, some outlets, started posting that NTTD become the highest grossing film in the world, forgeting Hi Mom ($848M) &TBALC ($906M). If the media can forget recent success of Chinese film, it will genuinely be hitted by CFA with "pending" dates &approval. Now, people blame CFA is dictorial authorship, but who actually start, "people", by pressing 1 star on every successful Chinese film, that too without watching. Please place your own genuine opinon. Do not copy-paste from your favourite media/Youtubers....... At the end, Hollywood is at loss, &they will not gain seat at China, unless local politcs &media stop these melodramas. What I hope is that everything should return normal before JC's Avatar 2, which is one of the biggest release that gonna happen in 2022....

Edited by Issac Newton

3 hours ago, Macleod said:

Now, lately, yes.  Donnie Yen agrees -- he's talking about the Hong Kong action style, particularly...but anyone who's been paying attention knows that Hong Kong has ceased to be Hong Kong anymore, it is now effectively an arm of China.  

https://www.tatlerasia.com/culture/entertainment/donnie-yen-john-wick-keanu-reeves?fbclid=IwAR2VS2H2_sPtZE1vVWMhC_y9DZCdm2TDrn7z_L1__f0M7bWQrqbNzzrccnw

And China is insulating itself with its own blockbusters, lately.  

This is why Cameron remains King -- he makes films that cross cultural and linguistic borders with ease -- I expect Avatar 2 will be no different.  

Hong Kong is a tragedy - I visited it the beginning of January 2019 and it's disgusting the greater world did not do more to save it. The vast majority of the youth wanted to remain an independent state...a democracy. But it's easier said than done.

The world at large has regressed into greater autocracy and dictatorship...democracy is waning. In certain societies, a benevolent and enlightened dictatorship is necessary before the transition to democracy. I truly believe that many countried need to have education and society to be more enlightened through a dictatorship - or else you would have tons of the populace shrieking for regressive theocratic ideals due to poor education and weak leadership.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/12/the-autocrats-are-winning/620526/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=share

A phenomenal read about how autocracy is winning on the global stage.

The WTA is one of the few decisions against China that needed to be done...but democratic governments have grown way too soft with the majority of their populace taking their rights and freedom for granted. 

Democracy just needs to be more assertive on the world stage.

Democracy and SECULARISM. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Noctis said:

A failing state may be too hyperbolic, but China's reach is always economical and rarely through art. No matter what it tries to do, it won't have the West's reach in cinema. Not even close. 

So, true 

Sometimes they are trying to be funny which isn't even funny. 

• Like 1

As I suspected years ago when they announced all of the added cast, this will be very "Godfatherish" hopefully the ending of the arc is better for Jake than it was for Michael. Trust no one. 

https://www.gamesradar.com/avatar-producer-teases-the-four-sequels-the-connected-story-arc-creates-an-even-larger-epic-saga/

Despite the exceedingly long wait - Avatar arrived to smash box-office records back in 2009 - the sequel is nearly upon us. So what took so long? In large part, producer Jon Landau says, it was down to writing not one but four scripts for the planned series of sequels up to Avatar 5.

"The scripts are the blueprint from which we work," Landau tells Total Film magazine as part of our huge 2022 preview. "So a large portion of our time was writing... with the challenge that each of those four scripts had to individually resolve itself in a story that concludes with a big emotional resolution – but when you look at them as a whole, the connected story arc of all four movies creates an even larger epic saga."

Avatar 2 – which sees James Cameron (exclusively pictured below on-set with Sam Worthington) return as director – specifically picks up with the Sully family, and as much time has elapsed in the story world as in reality. Jake (Worthington) and Neytiri (Zoe Saldana) are now parents. 

"I think the story of Avatar 2, and the strength of the story, is what Jim [Cameron] always does in any of his movies: he writes in universal themes that are bigger than any one genre," explains Landau. "And if you think about this, there’s really no more universal theme than family. At the center of each of our sequels is the Sully family. What are the dynamics that parents go through to protect their family?"

The Sullys’ idyllic life is disrupted when the RDA mining operation returns to Pandora, forcing Jake to take the family to "what is perceived as a safe harbor" at the reef. "And when you get to the reef, there’s a clan we call the Metkayina," continues Landau. "The Sullys are no longer in the environment that they know, the rainforest. They become the fish out of water. They become the fish out of water both culturally and just environmentally."

Avatar 2 is set to arrive in cinemas 16 December 2022. For more from Landau on the upcoming film, pick up a copy of the new issue of Total Film when it hits stands on Thursday 9 December. The issue features Dwayne Johnson's Black Adam on the cover and rounds up the biggest films coming your way next year.

• Like 2

I’m really hoping JC and company can pull this off as a an amazing and succinct epic. I have faith in him, and the time he’s out into this, but I also know doing it is exceedingly challenging.

As far as box office, I’m hoping for a pattern not unlike the Avengers films (only twice as big).

I expect A2 will be bigger than A3 by at least 20% (there has been a huge wait for A2 but to release another only 2 years later will burn off some hype/interest even if A2 is great).

Then if A4/A5 can play like IW/EG, we’d be doing awesome.

A2 = $2.5-3.5B

A3 = $2-2.8B

A4 = $3.5-4B

A5 = $4.5-5.5B

EDIT: All of this assumes China doesn’t go full on “fuck you” to American films. If it does, knock $700-1200M off all of these totals.

Edited by Multiverse of XXR
  • Like 2

Updated Cast & Crew listing from IMDB, Vin Diesel no longer appears. Calling this a huge production would be an understatement. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Returning

Sigourney Weaver

Zoe Saldana

Sam Worthington

Stephen Lang 

Giovanni Ribisi

CCH Pounder

Joel David Moore

Matt Gerald

New Additions

Michelle Yeoh

Kate Winslet

Jermaine Clement

Edie Falco

Oona Chaplin

Cliff Curtis

Brendan Cowell 

and many more (the kids) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

We don't know yet, but I suspect it will be Eywa.

I think the RDA recovers the body and they either revive/restore him back to life or they clone another. They have the technology to make it happen and we already know that Stephen Lang is reprising the role of Quaritch. 

Relax guys,Avatar is safe in China,Just Marvel movie recently be banned in China because of Shang-Chi and Eternal,and even for Marvel movie,Spider-man still have a big chance to show in China.

JC is super beloved and popular in China,For example,in China,No matter you are or not his fans,we all call him "卡神"(Cameron the God),everybody call him by using this nickname because he is just incredible,that's how popular JC here

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2