Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Deuce66 said:

Updated Cast & Crew listing from IMDB, Vin Diesel no longer appears. Calling this a huge production would be an understatement. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1630029/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Returning

Sigourney Weaver

Zoe Saldana

Sam Worthington

Stephen Lang 

Giovanni Ribisi

CCH Pounder

Joel David Moore

Matt Gerald

New Additions

Michelle Yeoh

Kate Winslet

Jermaine Clement

Edie Falco

Oona Chaplin

Cliff Curtis

Brendan Cowell 

and many more (the kids) 

I said it many times - VD visited the set and then the media lied. He might be in 4 or 5 but he ain't in 2/3.

2 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

@Brucecool if true.

It's true,we love Cameron so much,All his movie was a true cultural phenomenon in China ,  especially Titanic and Avatar.That's why we called him "Cameron the God" .

I didn't have experienced the Titanic , but I know the hype from my mother at that time, just everyone was talking about the movie, my mother lived in a remote village,  in the class ,if whose parents took him/her to the city to see Titanic, the entire class will envy him/her, and my father was live in Shanghai, he said,he has a friend who was blind ,but he went to see the Titanic,because if he didn't watch Titanic,he had no topic to talking with other people.

And for Avatar,It's almost same level of Titanic,At that time, there were few movie theaters, and many people flew from one city to another to see Avatar. The movie was so popular that if anyone had a ticket of Avatar, people even willing to pay ¥1000, just for a damn ticket

Even more dramatic,Avatar tickets were considered as a gift to our relatives during the Spring Festival,because it was just so precious and everyone wanted to have it.

I have never seen such a phenomenon,other than Cameron's films, no film can do that, that is why he is a legend

Edited by Bruce
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

EDIT: All of this assumes China doesn’t go full on “fuck you” to American films. If it does, knock $700-1200M off all of these totals.

China does not consider JC as propaganda....Therefore A2 can easily make $1B+ to near $2B....where as rest of the films can make what Endgame did in their lifetime $3B+ 

10 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

China does not consider JC as propaganda....Therefore A2 can easily make $1B+ to near $2B....where as rest of the films can make what Endgame did in their lifetime $3B+ 

We will see. People pretending they know what the CCP will or won't do is kind of comical. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Multiverse of XXR said:

We will see. People pretending they know what the CCP will or won't do is kind of comical. 

Just a handshake.....rest is up to moviegoers......But as you said....below $1B will be disappointing for me:sadno:

xi GIF

Edited by Issac Newton

12 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Just a handshake.....rest is up to moviegoers......But as you said....below $1B will be disappointing for me:sadno:

xi GIF

Are you advocating that Cameron should handshake Xi in order to get AVATAR released in China?  Same begging I saw from Marvel fans on getting Eternals released ("Chloe Zhao should just apologize.."). 

No thanks.  

AVATAR may have already written its own ticket (the re-release did gangbusters, as well), the movie is the true power.  No PR games.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

New article is out:

IMG_1194.png?width=1440&height=665

Very lean in terms of new information and extremely vague when discussing tech specs, good to know they are working with the major chains (AMC's CEO already commented on a A2 preview he saw) the question now is will they follow thru and provide the best possible viewing experience. I can't see small independent theatres spending thousands in upgrades in this market. 

Here's the relevant part from AMC's earning call:
"What's more, Disney has an amazing movie product coming out. I had the privilege last Monday of going out to Manhattan Beach and going to the studios of Lightstorm, which is James Cameron's and Jon Landau's production company, that's the company that made the incredible movie Avatar, the most successful movie of all time until Avengers: Endgame came out. And I'm told Avatar just repassed Avengers: Endgame as the No. 1 movie of all time. Avatar 2 is coming out at Christmas of 2022. I've seen footage from it, it's mind-blowing.Avatar 2 is going to be such an incredible movie. And I can tell you right now, there is one and only one place to watch Avatar, and it's not on your telephone, and it's not on your tablet, and it's not in your own TV. It is on a big screen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Macleod said:

Are you advocating that Cameron should handshake Xi in order to get AVATAR released in China?  Same begging I saw from Marvel fans on getting Eternals released ("Chloe Zhao should just apologize.."). 

No thanks.  

AVATAR may have already written its own ticket (the re-release did gangbusters, as well), the movie is the true power.  No PR games.  

Hey, no I did not mean that. I want to say that Xi wants to get an handshake from JC. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

Here's the relevant part from AMC's earning call:
"What's more, Disney has an amazing movie product coming out. I had the privilege last Monday of going out to Manhattan Beach and going to the studios of Lightstorm, which is James Cameron's and Jon Landau's production company, that's the company that made the incredible movie Avatar, the most successful movie of all time until Avengers: Endgame came out. And I'm told Avatar just repassed Avengers: Endgame as the No. 1 movie of all time. Avatar 2 is coming out at Christmas of 2022. I've seen footage from it, it's mind-blowing.Avatar 2 is going to be such an incredible movie. And I can tell you right now, there is one and only one place to watch Avatar, and it's not on your telephone, and it's not on your tablet, and it's not in your own TV. It is on a big screen.

They probably showed AMC and theater chain execs what they showed the rest of crew/cast last year -- three scenes that were relatively completed back in August 2020 (though I'm sure there's been more tweaking since).  

• Like 1

Does any part of you almost enjoy people doubting you, so you can turn around and surprise them?
I just hope…all I’ll say is that I hope I have enough people betting against Avatar 2 for it to be a success. [Laughs] So far, there doesn’t seem to be any dearth of them. If that’s part of the equation, then we’re well on track.

From Jim's latest interview in Rolling Stone.

• Like 6

The Rolling Stone interview promoting his art book.

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-features/james-cameron-interview-tech-noir-avatar-movies-1261926/amp/

The Avatar related bits that I could find.

Most of these works have never been seen by the public — but that will change, on December 14th, with the release of Tech Noir: The Art of James Cameron. The book features drawings from the filmmaker’s entire life, though it concentrates on work he created for his films. Cameron provides commentary for all of the art, and there’s a foreward by Guillermo Del Toro.

Cameron called us up from Wellington, New Zealand, where he’s hard at work on the upcoming Avatar movies to talk about the book. He also assured us that Avatar 2 is indeed coming out next year, and that it will be very different than the original one.

I think people are assuming it’ll be the same general story as the first Avatar, even though that’s never been your approach.
Oh, it is so not the same story as the first Avatar. It is not boy meets girl in the rain forest. It’s not that.

I have a vivid memory of the build-up to the release of Titanic, when all the articles were about how it was over-budget, months late, and would probably sink like the ship. It was the same with Avatar: “It looks weird. It’s just these blues creatures…”

“Smurfs. ThunderCats”….

Does any part of you almost enjoy people doubting you, so you can turn around and surprise them?

I just hope…all I’ll say is that I hope I have enough people betting against Avatar 2 for it to be a success. [Laughs] So far, there doesn’t seem to be any dearth of them. If that’s part of the equation, then we’re well on track.

Is the release date of December 2022 firm?
It’s so firm. It would probably take a comet hitting the Earth, or for example, a global pandemic [laughs], just a wild science fiction scenario out of the blue, for that not to happen.

And is Avatar 3 firm for December 2024?
Yeah. I would say that’s a good pin in the calendar for right now. We’ll see how Avatar 2 does and where it takes us. Our original plan was for us to work in parallel on A2 and A3 at the same time. We are, to some extent: Weta Digital is already working on Avatar 3, so we’ll see how much bandwidth I have over the coming year to meet our schedule on A3.

Clearly, A2 is the priority. We get that right, and everything else will fall like dominoes in its own time because the story is all there. Part of the big delay was me writing four scripts. I literally wrote four shooting scripts. They all exist. They’re all in a file drawer. We’ve already shot A2 and we’ve shot A3 and we’ve shot a bit of four. But we’ve got to shoot the rest of four and all of five. These are gigantic and hugely-ambitious films.

But let’s talk about the art book. I don’t want this to just be a weaselly way of getting me to talk about Avatar. [Laughs]

• Like 7

Link to Entertainment Weekly article.

https://ew.com/movies/james-cameron-teases-avatar-sequel/?utm_campaign=entertainmentweekly_entertainmentweekly&utm_content=new&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=61b8b2a04bd3090001f0d9f7

But setting a story below sea level presents more than a few challenges. The innovative performance-capture process designed for the first Avatar wasn't intended to work underwater, so Cameron and his team had to engineer a way to accurately record the actors' tiniest movements and expressions while submerged. That footage was then animated by artists at the multi-Oscar-winning visual-effects company Weta Digital. Much of the performance-capture filming took place in a 900,000-gallon tank (built specifically for the sequels), which could mimic the ocean's swirling currents and crashing waves. "My colleagues within the production really lobbied heavily for us to do it 'dry for wet,' hanging people on wires," Cameron notes. "I said, 'It's not going to work. It's not going to look real.' I even let them run a test, where we captured dry for wet, and then we captured in water, a crude level of our in-water capture. And it wasn't even close."

Edie Falco joins the cast as General Ardmore, a high-ranking member of the human military organization RDA (which clashed with the native Na'vi in the first movie). "It looks like we're in a sub, but it's really the flight deck of a dragon gunship, which is an aircraft we saw in the first movie," Cameron says.
| CREDIT: MARK FELLMAN/20TH CENTURY STUDIOS

For the complicated performance-capture scenes, James Cameron hired experts in underwater dance and gymnastics. "Scuba bubbles would create too much noise in our performance-capture system," the director says. "So no matter how long the scene took, if it took two, three, four [minutes] to shoot, everybody was holding their breath."

James Cameron (right) chats with young actor Jack Champion (center), who plays Spider, a human teenager born on Pandora. "Here you've got a 14-year-old kid that we taught not only to scuba dive but to dive in a full-face breathing mask — and to act in it," Cameron says. "He did a spectacular job."

• Like 3