Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

How can you say that when it's not even out yet. By Cameron's own track record, Aliens/T2 and Titanic all had fantastic rewatch value. You're making assumptions based on what evidence? We all know that Jim makes fantastic rides at the movies, and those rides are ones people want to go on again and again.

I say this based on evidence from my own life. Friends of mine that I used to go and watch movies over and over again with when were 18, including 10x trips to Avatar, don't have the time or the inclination to do that anymore. We've got jobs, kids, other interests. Sure some newbies will probably take over, but it won't be in the same numbers. 

This isn't a knock on potential quality, it's just observations of life

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I say this based on evidence from my own life. Friends of mine that I used to go and watch movies over and over again with when were 18, including 10x trips to Avatar, don't have the time or the inclination to do that anymore. We've got jobs, kids, other interests. Sure some newbies will probably take over, but it won't be in the same numbers. 

This isn't a knock on potential quality, it's just observations of life

Anecdotes does not an argument make. Just because some people decided to have kids and have less time doesn't mean that's the case for the rest of us. In fact, more people are childless now than ever. It seems to me that the opposite might be true. Although all that is conjecture, thankfully we have less than a year to go to see who is correct.

The one sadness I do have is that so many of those on both sides, doubters and champions of Jim won't be here to see that result. We're over 1000 pages deep and I think the results will be fantastic. Although, hey, maybe the doubters are right, maybe this is the first time since The Abyss that Jim drops the ball. Certainly Alita and Dark Fate weren't the successes he hoped they would be. Again though, it does seem strange for people on a box office forum to not want to see him blow the lid off this thing. I suppose some people here want to see the BO die.

I only just recently saw all the behind the scenes pics on Jon Plandau's instagram he posted last year and I'm intrigued to see what the sequel is going to do tech wise. Avatar's 3D was super impressive, but things like the entirely CGI-ed water or motion capture was also what blew me away back in 2009. It was just insane to see this entire generated environment looking so incredibly good. Also always enjoyed Cameron's films. The Abyss from him is one of my all time favorite films though I know it's not on everyone's lists heh. 

If they could do this right and promote it well I can totally see it going for another crazy box office run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

The Abyss from him is one of my all time favorite films though I know it's not on everyone's lists heh. 

Then it sounds like A2 is going to be right up your street. The tech they've developed just to shoot the underwater stuff seems nuts.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see how the marketing team starts. Maybe in July or August we will have more insight and not to forget 2022 will be the year of record-breakings. Because we have 10s of movies coming in 22 with the December's ending with King of BoxOffice.

• Like 1

I fee like the marketing team need to wake up. Although it is a Jim movie so maybe it's not as needed.

Also, for fun, take a look at the Spider-Man NWH OW prediction thread. A lot of the people who hate on A2 and say it won't make money lowballed the hell out its potential over there, and got rightfully blown out.

It's somewhat interesting to see people who have such disdain for the theatre and box office to be such active posters on this forum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I fee like the marketing team need to wake up. Although it is a Jim movie so maybe it's not as needed.

Also, for fun, take a look at the Spider-Man NWH OW prediction thread. A lot of the people who hate on A2 and say it won't make money lowballed the hell out its potential over there, and got rightfully blown out.

It's somewhat interesting to see people who have such disdain for the theatre and box office to be such active posters on this forum.

I'm not worried about Disney's marketing efforts, they will know soon enough (when Jim delivers the final cut) if AVATAR II has what it takes to become a monster hit, they will gear their marketing around test reactions. Spider-Man NWH has a huge campaign behind it, over $200 million you don't put that kind of capital into promotion unless you know it's a winner with fans and reviews confirmed that its a fan service love letter type of movie which they seem to love.

I really have no idea where Cameron is going to take Avatar although I'm kind of wary of it being so focused on the kids/family, he has to make us care deeply about them and their plight or the movie will fail miserably, if anything I can't wait to dissect this one and I pray that after my first viewing I don't utter the following words "we waited 13 years for this?". I'm optimistic that Cameron/WETA and his team will deliver the goods but remain a little guarded.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:
On 12/17/2021 at 11:42 AM, titanic2187 said:

Also, is it only me thinking Avatar 2 has more practical effect than A1?? I don't remember the live action shooting take this long for A1.

As I've said before here (and can testify to first-hand, even though I can't really say much else about it -- you can search my previous posts, here) -- Cameron and his team/WETA are innovating technology as they go -- so you can't really think about this in terms of linear production systems -- because he isn't, either.  As he developed the stories, they were developing filming technologies, as well.  So the indication is that the story/narrative has evolved along with technological advancements of "what is possible." 

I really have no idea where Cameron is going to take Avatar although I'm kind of wary of it being so focused on the kids/family, he has to make us care deeply about them and their plight or the movie will fail miserably, if anything I can't wait to dissect this one and I pray that after my first viewing I don't utter the following words "we waited 13 years for this?". I'm optimistic that Cameron/WETA and his team will deliver the goods but remain a little guarded.    

Cameron knows the concepts of "family" better than Vin Diesel ever could. 

See: TERMINATOR 2.  See: ALIENS.  See: TITANIC.  

Anything that Cameron has actually DIRECTED himself over the years...never disappoints. 

I would say to be cautiously optimistic based on his extraordinary track record.    

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

To your first paragraph, we're a year out. There is plenty of time to market.

11 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I'm sure this'll need to be repeated a lot the next year but the first Avatar's trailer wasn't out until late August

Probably also because of the crapload of SFX that needed to be finished. Sequel might be further along than the original was at the same point in time.

That said, before summer i'm not sure if it's worth it to release a teaser.

• Like 1