Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

7 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Let me guess: your Rise of Skywalker theory is the evil laugh we here at the end of the teaser is really Bob Iger.

Disney (scum) delayed Avatar 2 1 year, Avatar 3 delayed 2 years, Avatar 4 delayed1 year, Avatar 5 delayed 2 years.

All to alternate with Star Wars (which the scum have already ruined) . Total morons.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TimmyRiggins said:

Are you doing it on purpose or are you just happy to disagree with everyone? This is a nonsensical bit, they're apparently attaching some of the stuff that will be in the extras on the BD, it's a cheap move, simple as that. If you're gonna do it, do it a month from now, maybe more. This screams of desperation, THAT's my problem, that and it not being an actual extended cut apparently. Optics matter.

Disney is in the entertainment business lol. If people want to come watch it, they will. If they don't, they wont. Only the audience dollar will really end u deciding which movie is #1 WW. 

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Disney is in the entertainment business lol. If people want to come watch it, they will. If they don't, they wont. Only the audience dollar will really end u deciding which movie is #1 WW. 

Disagree.

Avatar has a far bigger opportunity for rerelease cash and Disney(scum) could block that, so right now its unfortunately Disney (scum) who decide

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DAJK said:

They're in the money making business, entertainment is a byproduct. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Cumulative rate of inflation between '09 and '19 is 19% - what are you smoking? If you adjust for inflation A obliterates EG. 

Exchange rates is different from inflation. The dollar was worth less in 2009 then today. So whatever money it made OS is heavily inflated. EG already outsold Avatar in admissions. It's over. Cameron lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

You said you barely remembered anything but turns out you remember everything just fine, more than barely. ;)

I wouldnt say knowing the basic plot outline of a movie qualifies as "everything". Unless your assessment is that Ant-Man turning into a baby is everything there is to it to that movie, in which case we are in agreement.

Anyhow, if this re-release is just in the US, I dont think it will matter, I cant see it making another 50 million just in US on one weekend. Its barely a re-release, the movie is still playing where I live. If its WW, then it has a shot.

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

They're in the money making business, entertainment is a byproduct. 

Everyone is in the money making business, obviously. Everything that they sell is a byproduct. McDonalds is in the moneymaking business, fast food is a byproduct. H&M is in the moneymaking business, clothing is just a byproduct. 

You're not really making any sort of point here, other than of course that you don't seem to like Disney very much. I don't either, they've been doing some questionable things to theatres since I've worked there. But ultimately, the box office is decided by the paying customer, not by the person selling the product. Sure, they can try and entice you to spend money as much as they want, but in the end it is up to you to decide whether or not you're going to give your money to them. 

14 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Exchange rates is different from inflation. The dollar was worth less in 2009 then today. So whatever money it made OS is heavily inflated. EG already outsold Avatar in admissions. It's over. Cameron lost.

Yeah, this doesnt sound right. Show me receipts and I believe it, but its pretty clear from the data that measured by tickets sold, Avatar absolutely outclasses EG and its not even close.

Additionally to that, the exchange rates are often times part of the calculations when measuring adjusted for inflation and they show Avatar beeing in a completely different ballpark to EG. Its not close.

Edited by Crainy

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

They won't half ass a rerelease, for what ever reason disney (scum) have shown they want endgame a the number highest grossing film of all time.

They have to be careful they shouldnt piss Jim off, if they keep messing with him whose to say he won't just jump ship. Jim afterall owns the IP (probably the reason they want endgame #1)

lmaoooo :hahaha:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Disney (scum) delayed Avatar 2 1 year, Avatar 3 delayed 2 years, Avatar 4 delayed1 year, Avatar 5 delayed 2 years.

All to alternate with Star Wars (which the scum have already ruined) . Total morons.

Yes, because Cameron has never delayed an Avatar movie, and it's all Disney's fault, lol.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Yes, because Cameron has never delayed an Avatar movie, and it's all Disney's fault, lol.

When Jim delays its to perfect.

A2 and A3 have been shot together with the intention to be released one year apart.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crainy said:

Yeah, this doesnt sound right. Show me receipts and I believe it, but its pretty clear from the data that measured by tickets sold, Avatar absolutely outclasses EG and its not even close.

Additionally to that, the exchange rates are often times part of the calculations when measuring adjusted for inflation and they show Avatar beeing in a completely different ballpark to EG. Its not close.

Well to bad, cause it is right. Charlie already did a breakdown with exchange rates which proves that EG outgrossed Avatar. Also exchange rates are NEVER accounted for when adjusting for Avatar inflation - if that was the case then the total gross would be much less than 2,7 billion. 

Charlie is about to do admissions breakdown in the upcoming week but he's already stated that EG outdid Avatar which is believable considering that Avatar made most of it's gross due to 3D tickets which are much more expensive. 

• Knock It Off 2

11 hours ago, HeadShot said:

You're making it sound as though OS currency is not itself subject to inflation. What you're saying is nonsense. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

You're making it sound as though OS currency is not itself subject to inflation. What you're saying is nonsense. 

If Avatar's gross of 213m CZK was exchanged today it would be 9.4m USD instead of accounted 12.5 in 2010. If we go by admissions it's equivalent gross would be 229 m CZK today which would be 10.1m USD. And it's the same with most of europe and probably Japan and SK. So Avatar's gain from favourable ER is 25% even AFTER accounting for inflation. 2B OS suddenly becomes 1.6B.