Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

5 hours ago, Elessar said:

I see, just taking ERs and ignoring every other factor...

The worldwide market has grown considerably since 2009. Newest movies dominate the all time worldwide box office list. In US dollar.

A movie the size of Avatar would have grossed considerably more than almost $2.8b today or conversely, Endgame would have grossed consirebaly less than that in 2009.

If we are going to add every factor then let's talk about the fact that there are more blockbusters released every year then ever before. Avatar would have flopped Alita style in 2019 in the era of online streaming. End Game had to compete with several superhero movies this year as well as tons of blockbusters during the span of it's release. Aladdin, KOTM, Detective P, Dark Phoenix, TS4, FFH, Lion King, Men In Black etc.   Avatar had the benefit of a holiday release and the dead days of January and February.  End Game is the ONLY movie sans IW released in the summer to gross over 2 billion. Every other movie was a December release.

At the end of the day EG beat Avatar admissions wise and with the re-release I'm sure it will surpass the total gross as well. RIP Cameron and Avatar. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1

3 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

If one looks at the Domestic gross only - Avatar opened on 3,452 screens maxing to 3,461 on weekend three. Endgame opened on 4,662, the growth in the domestic market alone is UP almost 35%. That's a lot of added screens in the USA and Canada. 

Of course China is the market the defines explosive growth. 263.8 million tickets sold (all films) in 2009 versus 1.62 Billion in 2017 UP 514.1%

It makes any attempt at an equitable comparison almost impossible, then you have to factor exchange, inflation, political climate (stable or not) and so on....

Lol at all these argumentative points while ignoring the 3D aspect which was the reason why Avatars gross is so inflated.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Lol at all these argumentative points while ignoring the 3D aspect which was the reason why Avatars gross is so inflated.  

Please stop shitting up the thread with nonsense. The average IMAX 3D ticket price was something like $10.50 when Avatar was released and there were far fewer 3D theaters, let alone IMAX 3D, especially foreign, than there are today.

I really don't mind engaging hardcore MCU stans in this thread even if they don't return the favor in their MCU threads, but I don't like it when someone comes in and starts spamming the thread with delusions. Take a break from posting in this thread, please, and take this to the fanboy wars thread where you can be properly engaged with the effort your posts deserve.

Additionally, to respond to your earlier nonsense, Avatar had to contend with both Sherlock and Chipmunk immediately after its release, then The Book of Eli. Remind me what Endgame was making in dailies after 3 major blockbusters were released? I thought so. Don't blame it on the competition.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Please stop shitting up the thread with nonsense. The average IMAX 3D ticket price was something like $10.50 when Avatar was released and there were far fewer 3D theaters, let alone IMAX 3D, especially foreign, than there are today.

I really don't mind engaging hardcore MCU stans in this thread even if they don't return the favor in their MCU threads, but I don't like it when someone comes in and starts spamming the thread with delusions. Take a break from posting in this thread, please, and take this to the fanboy wars thread where you can be properly engaged with the effort your posts deserve.

Additionally, to respond to your earlier nonsense, Avatar had to contend with both Sherlock and Chipmunk immediately after its release, then The Book of Eli. Remind me what Endgame was making in dailies after 3 major blockbusters were released? I thought so. Don't blame it on the competition.

Maybe he also forgot that AVATAR was released in fewer than 5000 screens in China. China now has 60,000 screens.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, HeadShot said:

Right? It's like people ignoring that Endgame grossed what it did because it's the movie equivalent of a series finale? Relying on over twenty past movies.

When will some people realize these movies grossed what they did because they're event movies? Avatar was the 3D spectacle, Endgame was a series finale.

Get it through your head, they're not the best movies, they're event movies.

9 minutes ago, WhiteWings said:

Right? It's like people ignoring that Endgame grossed what it did because it's the movie equivalent of a series finale? Relying on over twenty past movies.

When will some people realize these movies grossed what they did because they're event movies? Avatar was the 3D spectacle, Endgame was a series finale.

Get it through your head, they're not the best movies, they're event movies.

Nobody disagrees that Avatar was a tour de force of 3D technology. What people like him always mean is that Avatar unfairly charged more, without acknowledging that as price goes up, demand goes down. They have an idea that if ticket prices doubled a movie’s gross would magically double and in so doing diminish what Avatar accomplished.

• Like 6

Moderation

Could we please keep the discussion as civil as possible?  Let's try and not be argumentative just to be argumentative. 

Make your point once and move on.  Arguing over subjective opinions leads nowhere.

Regards

BOT Staff

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

People are really shit when it comes to reality. Avatars performance was unreal even compared to EG.

It didn’t even have like 17 movies of lore to build up hype or any die hard fans behind it when it came out so yeah it was a one of the kind performance

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

I got 7 not cools on a post saying I wouldn't trust anything from Charlie that can't be crosschecked 🤷‍♂️

They no longer care about evidence or actual numbers in the face of their blind worship of a brand. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

They no longer care about evidence or actual numbers in the face of their blind worship of a brand. 

You call yourself JamesCameron Scholar! You are talking to someone named IronJimbo!  You both have Cameron themed avatars!  You are defending the honor of the highest grossing movie OF ALL TIME in a thread devoted to its sequel!  You call yourselves the Jim Gang!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I got 7 not cools on a post saying I wouldn't trust anything from Charlie that can't be crosschecked 🤷‍♂️

There are boxoffice trackers of almost every country that matter on this forum. Do you think, if I even try to fudge anything, that will go un-countered. Ugh.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All this talk about @Charlie Jatinder 'proving' admissions. Total lies, it's speculation, there is no proof. 

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

There are boxoffice trackers of almost every country that matter on this forum. Do you think, if I even try to fudge anything, that will go un-countered. Ugh.

Now let MCU stan in me talk, It's not even a close match lol. Endgame is ahead 25-30%.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

23 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

You call yourself JamesCameron Scholar! You are talking to someone named IronJimbo!  You both have Cameron themed avatars!  You are defending the honor of the highest grossing movie OF ALL TIME in a thread devoted to its sequel!  You call yourselves the Jim Gang!

As there is quite clear evidence that James Cameron directed Avatar and that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time. 

I recall a time where half this forum had sws themed names and avatars. I didn't see you complaining then Wong. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

As there is quite clear evidence that James Cameron directed Avatar and that Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time. 

I recall a time where half this forum had sws themed names and avatars. I didn't see you complaining then Wong. 

Sure, they did in fact do this!  Then after a while, they moved on, either back to their original name/avatar or to another movie themed name/avatar.  That's my point, they move on to other movies.  

Also, I don't remember any of them calling anyone else out for being 'blindly devoted to a brand' while doing that.

It's just incredibly ironic and lacking self-awareness on your part. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

All this talk about @Charlie Jatinder 'proving' admissions. Total lies, it's speculation, there is no proof. 

I'd say that he rather just took the time and effort to gather information from as many countries as he could and the adm. numbers in most big markets are reported and for the ones that don't like the US, guesses are taken based on average ticket prices and all that (Avatar was first big 3d movie so really high ticket prices). If they were within one or two per cent of each other those guesses could easily change their placement but that's not the case. None the less, there are multiple ways to look at a movie's success.

Back to the topic of Avatar 2:

I am looking forward to this because I hope that he will be able to make everything look incredibly realistic again and I hope that he will be able to make the characters more memorable because, for me, that always has been its flaw.