Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, Crainy said:

Thats one way of putting it.

One thing I really dislike about this whole thing is how disingenious it feels. EG couldnt beat Avatar unadjusted and when adjusted for inflation, it didnt even come close. Pretty much all Marvel fans really wanted that record too, but seeing how its out of reach now, SUDDENLY its the admissions that are the most important, even though noone talked about them before? Thats just embarrassing.

Marvel fans have to ask themselves, if they have to move the goalpost 12 times over in order to get an edge over Avatar in anything, what is your record even worth, even if you should get it? Not to even mention that when counted by admissions, neither Avatar nor EG even hold the crown so its kind of pointless.

this. it's fans who make EG run seem disappointing when it's nothing but. but constant goalpost shifting, pulling obscure records out of one's ass, etc only brings to attention that EG still didn't do it and whether it will hangs on real re-release and even then it isn't locked. 

@cdsacken and the point still stands that Avatar didn't have to pull every trick in the book to fly past Titanic while EG is pulling them to crawl over Avatar. And if you think 3D was a trick enough, just a reminder that 3D was nothing in 2009 and there was a risk that audience would reject it. So it looks like the movie was appealing enough to achieve as big heights as it did with the help of 3D (that's now helping all movies hit milestones much more often than when there was no 3D premium). 

EG is likely going to pass Avatar since this is Disney's goal and they won't give it up. At this point, it would be embarrassing if they gave it up given how hard they are trying. I say give it proper re-release after this stunt and take the record. EG fans will cheer that record is taken, Avatar fans won't let them live down various fudging and everyone's gonna be happy. :lol:

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I admit that hair pulling over EG passing Avatar's original run (minus re-release) is embarrassing. it's a "record" nobody but 3 people know and care about because they have nothing else to fall back on since a) they don't know if there will be an actual re-release and b) they don't know if re-release would do the trick considering that the movie didn't hold all that well first time around. 

IMO, man up, focus on the only record that matters and be patient. it may still happen but it won't be soon.

What's funny is the Endgame re-release means they won't even take that record from Avatar. They're getting a subset of that record, which is "biggest initial run before a Special Edition concurrently comes out with the existing original release." What's even more amusing is it's basically a "record" they made up on the spot. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

this. it's fans who make EG run seem disappointing when it's nothing but. but constant goalpost shifting, pulling obscure records out of one's ass, etc only brings to attention that EG still didn't do it and whether it will hangs on real re-release and even then it isn't locked. 

@cdsacken and the point still stands that Avatar didn't have to pull every trick in the book to fly past Titanic while EG is pulling them to crawl over Avatar. And if you think 3D was a trick enough, just a reminder that 3D was nothing in 2009 and there was a risk that audience would reject it. So it looks like the movie was appealing enough to achieve as big heights as it did with the help of 3D (that's now helping all movies hit milestones much more often than when there was no 3D premium). 

EG is likely going to pass Avatar since this is Disney's goal and they won't give it up. At this point, it would be embarrassing if they gave it up given how hard they are trying. I say give it proper re-release after this stunt and take the record. EG fans will cheer that record is taken, Avatar fans won't let them live down various fudging and everyone's gonna be happy. :lol:

3d was nothing and that's why it worked. Now the US has rejected 3d as it sucks.

If avatar 2 somehow waits till 3d without glasses I could see it working again in the US. It will still be very successful in 3d outside of the US like EG was.

Avatar dominated like Titanic. EG didn't dominate the record but what else even sniffed the record? Absolutely nothing. 

Edited by cdsacken

6 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

EG has already beat the original run so that argument is just pathetic.

Again both lose to Titanic on adjusted.

"beating the original run" drum is pathetic cause literally nobody cared about it til it was clear EG was not going to pass Avatar's total (aka the number you see when you click on All Time). it's grasping for straws but if it makes few people who care about it happy than yes, it's over. Avatar is passed fair and square. :lol: TFA is still dom king, Avatar is still OS king and we are yet to see if there's going to be a movie that takes all 3 crowns like Avatar and Titanic. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is a blatant lie. I mean come on, when you have to resort to making things up you must realise how ridiculous you sound? 

So we are pretending it's what then 2755? That was always a guarantee to go down as well

2788 was obviously not happening with the massive drops in the 2nd/3rd/4th weekend

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

"beating the original run" drum is pathetic cause literally nobody cared about it til it was clear EG was not going to pass Avatar's total (aka the number you see when you click on All Time). it's grasping for straws but if it makes few people who care about it happy than yes, it's over. Avatar is passed fair and square. :lol: TFA is still dom king, Avatar is still OS king and we are yet to see if there's going to be a movie that takes all 3 crowns like Avatar and Titanic. 

If one is bitching about rereleases then don't include it in the comparison

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Why is that pretending? 

Because it's listed at several different numbers. 2749/2755/2788 avatar fans can't decide. Hell it will be close to that before the rerelease even starts. Would have been there by Monday or Tuesday next week and barely moved up much after. Probably just under 2760 (2758 or something)

Rerelease could in theory still be under 2788 for EG. no guarantees

Edited by cdsacken

16 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Because it's listed at several different numbers. 2749/2755/2788 avatar fans can't decide. Hell it will be close to that before the rerelease even starts. Would have been there by Monday or Tuesday next week and barely moved up much after. Probably just under 2760 (2758 or something)

Rerelease could in theory still be under 2788 for EG. no guarantees

I was always under the impression it was 2755. Again, how is it pretending? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Avatar is passed fair and square. :lol: TFA is still dom king, Avatar is still OS king and we are yet to see if there's going to be a movie that takes all 3 crowns like Avatar and Titanic. 

I think Avatar 2 will take OS and Worldwide, domestic I'm not sure about a Cameron three-peat there, no shame though, Jim has already done Triple Crown twice, and taking 3 Crowns is bound to be very difficult in the upcoming years as taste diversify. 

I think it's much better scenario for Avatar sequels to start lower and end with the record than blow their load too early and then peter out like new Star Wars or have people lose interest after 1-2 punch like THG and Planet of the Apes. Hook people and they'll expand fandom from movie to movie. IW and EG achieved that, went out like champs, highest grossing TA movie is its finale. 

Edited by Valonqar

Also, I think triple crown can be changed into all time Quadruple crown. China as a market is almost reaching Domestic size anyway, that's why OS-China is a thing that people bring up.

#1 Worldwide   #1 OS   #1 Domestic  and  #1 China  (that's your Quadruple crown)

Now if we put it this way, Titanic and Avatar are still both Quadruple crown winners! While Endgame, eh.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Valonqar said:

that's savage. :lol:

well deserved though...

James Cameron was likely looking to get a Pandora theme park from Avatar, and get families to see the movie multiple times in theaters for lower prices.

As long as they keep the costs down, and haven't spent much so far with the production, then i don't think box office records would be much of a concern, and they might take more liberties with longer timed action sequences outdoing Transformers.

Edited by Slave Animal Rights

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'm opposed to speculation over evidence. In all cases. Jim cannot overcome the scientific method, it's something even he cannot do. 

Question - Did Titanic sell more tickets than Avatar

Hypothesis - Yes, I think it did!

Experiment - We know how much Avatar made from 3D and IMAX as well as the average ticket price compared to Titanic

Analysis - Based on the calculations, you can determine that yes, Titanic sold more tickets than Avatar

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cdsacken said:

3d was nothing and that's why it worked. Now the US has rejected 3d as it sucks.

So 3d was awesome when Avatar was around but now it sucks? Make up your mind, people...

Or rather, let me tell you what sucks, badly done 3d conversions suck, theaters with bad equipment suck. Inherently, 3d doesn't.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4