Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Aquaman have worse audience reception than Avatar in every metric lol. Do you really believe the sequel will somehow beat Avatar based on what?

I think some people believe too much in a loud but small group of people who think hate Avatar is cool. 

Let me tell you the truth: nobody cares about the people who keep saying that no one likes the movie and that is not memorable. This movie made impressive money in China last year in a re-release without any big promotion, guess why? Because GP likes it. 

The Avatar ride on Disney Parks is one of the most succesful they ever made, people remember the movie, they just don't talk about it (because there's nothing to talk anyway). 

I'm not coming here to say this will be the first 3B grosser, it's impossible to predict that. But when Disney start the massive campaign everyone will remember they watched the original, and majority of people have great experience with it because there's no movie that people dislike and have a 10x multiplier and gross 2.8B, majority will go see the sequel. Actually i bet many of the people on social media that keep saying every week that nobody remember this movie will watch it too on first weekend.

People were shit talking the original too before it came out and smashed every record under the sun, I remember people calling it the “blue cat movie” in a dismissive way. Never underestimate James Cameron movies.

I’d bet as soon as the first Avatar 2 trailer comes out, WB will quickly move Aquaman 2. No way will Disney be the first to blink.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

People were shit talking the original too before it came out and smashed every record under the sun, I remember people calling it the “blue cat movie” in a dismissive way. Never underestimate James Cameron movies.

I’d bet as soon as the first Avatar 2 trailer comes out, WB will quickly move Aquaman 2. No way will Disney be the first to blink.

The thing is the discourse on avatar 2 being a joke has gotten MUCH louder over the years. Look up gus Johnson's skit on avatar 2 on YouTube. 

52 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The thing is the discourse on avatar 2 being a joke has gotten MUCH louder over the years. Look up gus Johnson's skit on avatar 2 on YouTube. 

And I'd be willing to bet that most of these people never saw AVATAR on the big screen.  Whatevs.  

2 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

How far into production are the fourth and fifth films?

Getting there...but only 2 and 3 are really fully shot from a production end.  Basically they're going to wait and see how 2 and 3 do first before fully committing to finishing off 4 and 5.  

Edited by Macleod

10 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I remember back in 2009, there were reports of people committing suicide because they couldn't live in the world of Pandora. No movie has ever had that effect on people

A few YouTubers nobody has heard off really doesn't equate to the 300m or so people that paid to see this in cinemas, or the millions who made it the biggest selling blueray of its time. 

I've found YouTubers rip apart Titanic, still doesn't stop it being one of the most loved movies ever made. These YouTubers are just attention seeking kids that still live in mum's basement dodging jobs faster than Prince Andrew dodges an American Court. Their opinions are worthless 

Edited by Chicago
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I know it's an old complaint but I really do wish Cameron was doing something new. I can't fathom how anyone, even fans of the first (such as they exist), can be giddy at the prospect of another four of these.

Because we want to go back to Pandora. It was always the main selling point. I'd rather 4 sequels than another 25 MCU movies following the same formula 

44 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Because we want to go back to Pandora. It was always the main selling point. I'd rather 4 sequels than another 25 MCU movies following the same formula 

It's precisely because I'm sick of superhero movies that I wish Cameron was back on the scene doing something new.

Even so, if I liked something I think that excitement would be tempered if I knew I was getting a glut of it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

It's precisely because I'm sick of superhero movies that I wish Cameron was back on the scene doing something new.

Even so, if I liked something I think that excitement would be tempered if I knew I was getting a glut of it.

If he's building his own little solar system of worlds then I don't mind having sequels. I must admit though, 4 avatar sequels seem outlandish when there's been a 12 year gap.

Movies on the big screen are ultimately about the EXPERIENCE.  Cameron is the KING of that (yes, still in the world).  If he's still passionate about AVATAR, he must have reason to be.  "Doing something new" to Cameron IS doing these films.  When more comes out about what they've actually been doing in filmmaking terms, hopefully people will understand the achievements here.  But yes, all that matters here is the story and the experience.  

When was the last time a Cameron film ever really "disappointed"?  That's right, never.  (People can quibble about how TRUE LIES "doesn't age well", whatevs.)   As he would say, "You're not seeing the big picture."   But nothing I can say will convince anyone, only footage and the experience will do that.  So let's wait and see.   There will always be skeptics in anything in life.  

But yes, he should have directed BATTLE ANGEL, himself.  😉  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

The consensus among people I know through discord is it's been pushed back wayyy to many times. And unlike a Jurassic park 4 Cameron keeps saying it's coming out

Uhhh…hate to break it to you, but we’re about to get what is essentially Jurassic Park 6 next summer.

Honestly, if anything, I expect Avatar 2 will actually benefit from the lengthy gap from the first. I think if it’d come out 3 years after the first like most sequels it’d have had a bit of a “been there, done that” feel to it and the box office drop would have been larger, whereas 13 years later they’ll really be able to go hard on the “welcome back to Pandora” angle in the marketing, and it’ll feel less like a novelty. I’m not on the $3 billion train, but if it’s good, I think it’ll get a lot closer to the total of Avatar than the detractors think.

11 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I know it's an old complaint but I really do wish Cameron was doing something new. I can't fathom how anyone, even fans of the first (such as they exist), can be giddy at the prospect of another four of these.

I mean we won't see Avatar 4 until 2050 so I'm not sure it matters 

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Uhhh…hate to break it to you, but we’re about to get what is essentially Jurassic Park 6 next summer.

Honestly, if anything, I expect Avatar 2 will actually benefit from the lengthy gap from the first. I think if it’d come out 3 years after the first like most sequels it’d have had a bit of a “been there, done that” feel to it and the box office drop would have been larger, whereas 13 years later they’ll really be able to go hard on the “welcome back to Pandora” angle in the marketing, and it’ll feel less like a novelty. I’m not on the $3 billion train, but if it’s good, I think it’ll get a lot closer to the total of Avatar than the detractors think.

I think you misunderstand my first point. Jurassic park 4 went back to the drawing board a few times and was taken off universal's release schedule at least twice that never happened with avatar 2 and the GA seems frustrated by it. 

The only way it gets close to the record is if it gets a release in China which seems unlikely right now but things could change

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reddroast said:

I think you misunderstand my first point. Jurassic park 4 went back to the drawing board a few times and was taken off universal's release schedule at least twice that never happened with avatar 2 and the GA seems frustrated by it. 

The only way it gets close to the record is if it gets a release in China which seems unlikely right now but things could change

The "GA" has absolutely no interest in release schedules, and has not been paying attention to Avatar 2's release date changes over the past 5 or 6 years. In fact, the GA probably doesn't even know an Avatar 2 is coming out yet, and won't know until the marketing starts.

The people who religiously keep up with movie news — the types that post about movies on Reddit, Twitter, YouTube etc. — are not the GA by any stretch.

• Like 3