Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

The "GA" has absolutely no interest in release schedules, and has not been paying attention to Avatar 2's release date changes over the past 5 or 6 years. In fact, the GA probably doesn't even know an Avatar 2 is coming out yet, and won't know until the marketing starts.

The people who religiously keep up with movie news — the types that post about movies on Reddit, Twitter, YouTube etc. — are not the GA by any stretch.

I can tell you from my experience they do care about big releases like Avatar 2

Here is what Cameron had to say about the trailer, the interview was from April of this year.

While Cameron remained tight-lipped about the details of the sequels, he did share that a trailer would likely be available sometime next summer.

“I mean, you can imagine that sort of six months-ish before the film, the film is released maybe even a little earlier in ’22,” he guessed, adding that the film is due out in December 2022.  

“I would say maybe first or second quarter of 22, something like that we will show you some stuff,” he promised. “I’m anxious to reveal what we’re doing, but you know, I want to, I want to lead with the best material and tease people into the theaters.” 

Link

There are 3 things I gather from his interview

1. Movie could be released even earlier than December???

2. Full trailer 6 Months before movie

3. 1st or 2nd quarter Teaser?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AndreySer said:

Here is what Cameron had to say about the trailer, the interview was from April of this year.

Link

There are 3 things I gather from his interview

1. Movie could be released even earlier than December???

2. Full trailer 6 Months before movie

3. 1st or 2nd quarter Teaser?

The "inside" word I hear is that they are trying to get it into China and might have to give it an early release there to make it happen.

China is in the midst of a complete social and cultural crackdown.  They are trying to move back to isolation and control all aspects of their population because, much in part and thanks to Hollywood, they started to get way too enamored with Western culture and the ideal of personal freedom.  

The release is not yet guaranteed in China for Avatar 2 and Disney has been trying to jump through hoops to make sure it happens, but right now it is not a certainty.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The release is not yet guaranteed in China for Avatar 2 and Disney has been trying to jump through hoops to make sure it happens, but right now it is not a certainty.  

I don't see anything particularly controversial about Avatar 2 that would cause problems in China, plus they just re-released the first film to pretty decent numbers earlier this year. Then again, China is pretty fickle when it comes to approving foreign films. No Marvel film has been given a release date yet this year, although some BTS drama played a part in the case of Black Widow and Eternals. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The "inside" word I hear is that they are trying to get it into China and might have to give it an early release there to make it happen.

China is in the midst of a complete social and cultural crackdown.  They are trying to move back to isolation and control all aspects of their population because, much in part and thanks to Hollywood, they started to get way too enamored with Western culture and the ideal of personal freedom.  

Yes, under Xi China has started going back into isolation, but the process has been slow, so I don't see how releasing it few months earlier will somehow let them negate the problem of unfriendly China. I think more likely it has to do with Covid, Covid has a peak in the winter/cold weather, I think they are worried that the Covid Peak will be around December.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, KP1025 said:

I don't see anything particularly controversial about Avatar 2 that would cause problems in China, plus they just re-released the first film to pretty decent numbers earlier this year. Then again, China is pretty fickle when it comes to approving foreign films. No Marvel film has been given a release date yet this year, although some BTS drama played a part in the case of Black Widow and Eternals. 

They cut the OG run short because they thought the story was too questioning of authority. That was back in '09 when China was more liberal than it is now (in a relative sense). I think that a story of a battered indigenous population rising up against a powerful technocracy might not fly so well with China's ruling classes, even if the ordinary folk will love it.

Jim has spoken directly to President Xi at a few climate conferences though, so I'm confident that if anyone can manage to get through the firewall - Jim can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

The fact that so many people claim that nobody remembers Avatar...is kinda proof that people do remember Avatar. If nobody remembered the film, then nobody would ever bring it up. 

It's just that it didn't leave a lasting impression. Besides its box office, people don't talk about the movie