Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

53 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I wish we could grab Jim from the 80s and get him to make movies as prolifically as he did then. 

Indeed. He could have easily done Alita and Dark Fate himself. And more. Alas!

I know it's a selfish notion, it's his life after all, but as a movie fan i mourn for what could have been.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Elessar said:

Indeed. He could have easily done Alita and Dark Fate himself. And more. Alas!

I know it's a selfish notion, it's his life after all, but as a movie fan i mourn for what could have been.

James Cameron is the Maynard James Keenan of groundbreaking filmmaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2019 at 9:08 AM, Pure Spirit said:

I don’t like to “count chickens 🐓

before they hatch 🐣 ” but it looks like Avatar will hold on to the crown. No wonder a certain fanbase is so friggin cranky, they won’t have a chance like this again for years 

I get my next chance in 2021, so I’m not cranky at all. I can handle the wait, if Endgame doesn’t break the WW record. Although, I am not giving up on Endgame yet either.

Edited by Walt Disney

On 5/23/2019 at 3:12 PM, Deep Wang said:

Dude, you are talking to the people that have already locked in $3/4B for the Avatar sequels, lol.  They have counted the eggs before they were laid!

I remember you were the guy that argued with me that Endgame beating Avatar is all but certain, to which I replied that it's far from certain and all the people celebrating early will feel pretty fucking stupid. Guess I was right. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Crainy said:

I remember you were the guy that argued with me that Endgame beating Avatar is all but certain, to which I replied that it's far from certain and all the people celebrating early will feel pretty fucking stupid. Guess I was right. 

LOL so many people were so certain. 

On 5/23/2019 at 3:14 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

I don't know what I'll do with myself if ED doesn't break 1A... :jeb!:

Laugh at the people who thought it was locked to beat A. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Here is what the mythical under 2 billie could look like.

Worldwide $1.7b

Domestic $400m

China $400m

Overseas $900m

Lunacy I tell you.

I look at TLK and I2 for comps here and they show that a looong time between movies does in fact not result in a lower box office due to people forgetting the original. If anything the same people are parents now and bring their kids (and rather poetically A2’s opening scene seems to be about parenting!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For what it's worth, I do hope Avatar 2 can hit the lofty numbers that a lot have predicted in this thread. I just don't believe it will. 

When Avatar came out, it was only the second film I saw in theaters 3 times (the other being TDK). That was my highest amount until TFA came out (5 times). I'd really love to see it hit $4 billion, or maybe have Avatar 2-5 do the Avengers series x 2. All of that would be awesome to see 😃

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VenomXXR said:

For what it's worth, I do hope Avatar 2 can hit the lofty numbers that a lot have predicted in this thread. I just don't believe it will. 

When Avatar came out, it was only the second film I saw in theaters 3 times (the other being TDK). That was my highest amount until TFA came out (5 times). I'd really love to see it hit $4 billion, or maybe have Avatar 2-5 do the Avengers series x 2. All of that would be awesome to see 😃

Yeah, I think so aswell. I think its sorta unlikely Avatar 2 will be able to reach Avatars gross, its not impossible, but I think its unlikely.

What I think is more interesting, now that Endgame has failed to outgross Avatar WW, what movie ever could reach that? Endgame was the ultimate weapon from one of the most successful and long-running movie franchises to date and it failed to reach Avatar and it was the only movie to ever come close. This basically makes it a lock that no movie will reach Avatar for atleast a decade, possibly even several decades, until inflation does its thing.

I think this endgame thing puts Avatars success in an entirely new light: Its not only one of the two most successfull movies in cinema history, but, when adjusted for inflation, like "Gone with the Wind" its possible that no movie yet to be released will ever surpass Avatar again. Or atleast not for a very, very long time, as in many many decades.

In a way, Avatar could probably be looked at as the ceiling of the maximum a movie can make in our current times.

5 minutes ago, Crainy said:

Yeah, I think so aswell. I think its sorta unlikely Avatar 2 will be able to reach Avatars gross, its not impossible, but I think its unlikely.

What I think is more interesting, now that Endgame has failed to outgross Avatar WW, what movie ever could reach that? Endgame was the ultimate weapon from one of the most successful and long-running movie franchises to date and it failed to reach Avatar and it was the only movie to ever come close. This basically makes it a lock that no movie will reach Avatar for atleast a decade, possibly even several decades, until inflation does its thing.

I think this endgame thing puts Avatars success in an entirely new light: Its not only one of the two most successfull movies in cinema history, but, when adjusted for inflation, like "Gone with the Wind" its possible that no movie yet to be released will ever surpass Avatar again. Or atleast not for a very, very long time, as in many many decades.

In a way, Avatar could probably be looked at as the ceiling of the maximum a movie can make in our current times.

I believe the potential is out there for a $4-5 billion movie right now. It would just take something truly special. A 4-quadrant film across all markets. It would basically have to be what TFA was domestically, everywhere. Will Avatar 2 be that film? Maybe. I just personally don't see it at this time. Once marketing starts and we see promotion and response to the film, maybe that changes. 

• Like 4