Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

One thing none of the Cameron fans have never been able to do is say WHY avatar is such a masterpiece other than "Jim created something legendary" or, as mentioned above, uses different tools to tell a story that require viewers to pay much more attention.

Like what? I'm sorry, Avatar's a damn entertaining film, but it isn't some kind of life-changing experience from a storytelling perspective imo. It has an oppressive rule to the story world, and then populates its cast with characters who either oppose this rule, embody this rule, or learn to oppose the rule. Any good/competent film does this. So if this movie has somehow done something groundbreaking or new other than have good 3d and computer effects, please tell me. 

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

25 minutes ago, Crainy said:

Yep, thats about the reply I expected from you. If you cant be bothered to think about something, stop talking about it.

I’m glad we have such a visionary among us to explain all the art. However did we muddle through life before your missives?

Perhaps you missed my comment that I love AVATAR, or that I’m an enormous Cameron fan in general. It’s probably a good thing, so you don’t have to reconsider whether you should reward us with your profound insights. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

If you don't have as strong a connection (and you've seen a lot of movies), maybe you get more bothered by the conventionality of the characters and plot.

I'm willing to bet I've seen more movies than anyone else on this forum and I found the plot a breath of fresh air.

Also lets not forget we're on a box office forum, Avatar is objectively the highest grossing film of all time. There is no argument to be had there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

One thing none of the Cameron fans have never been able to do is say WHY avatar is such a masterpiece other than "Jim created something legendary" or, as mentioned above, uses different tools to tell a story that require viewers to pay much more attention.

Objectively wrong.

Jimbo and I have spoken at length throughout the thread as to why Avatar is such a masterpiece, I'm happy to go through them with you if you'd like.

Secondly, anyone claiming to be able to do the above should always be met with a certain level of cynicism, because lets be honest, if anyone truly knew just what made Avatar such a success they'd be working on their own movie aiming to dethrone the king right now.

10 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

have to reconsider whether you should reward us with your profound insights.  

Just like you and your jokes about fucking goats right Tele? I'm sure somewhere in those 72 thousand posts there's something that has made your time here well spent...

11 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Keep it going guys, just gotta get 1000 pages before the trailer drops

There's something about Jim and big numbers that just feels right :Gaga:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Objectively wrong.

Jimbo and I have spoken at length throughout the thread as to why Avatar is such a masterpiece, I'm happy to go through them with you if you'd like.

Secondly, anyone claiming to be able to do the above should always be met with a certain level of cynicism, because lets be honest, if anyone truly knew just what made Avatar such a success they'd be working on their own movie aiming to dethrone the king right now.

Just like you and your jokes about fucking goats right Tele? I'm sure somewhere in those 72 thousand posts there's something that has made your time here well spent...

this is true it is strange that no one beat him even after all this time, people can say luck and things but he did it twice and not beaten. 

I thought TLJ would beat Cameron but did not happen. Nothing I can think will beat it soon, maybe a chinese movie? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Box Office Theory Fan said:

this is true it is strange that no one beat him even after all this time, people can say luck and things but he did it twice and not beaten. 

I thought TLJ would beat Cameron but did not happen. Nothing I can think will beat it soon, maybe a chinese movie? 

The Mule is beating him right now.

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Objectively wrong.

he made a movie for the masses. A plot anyone could enjoy with some visuals that people wanted to see on the big screen. Released around xmas time, and was an innovation marvel in the world of 3D in Hollywood film. 

It's a technically masterful film I admit, I never have said otherwise. But I don't understand what about it makes it so profound. IMO Titanic is way better, combining the visuals with storytelling much more intimately

5 hours ago, Lothar said:

Imagine seeing Avatar in 2009 when there was no breakthrough tech, No Force Awaken no Infinity war.

James Cameron did what other can't even imagine of and he's going to do the same thing again and again by pushing the technology to new level.

You mean like what Andy Serkis was doing in LOTR almost a decade before Avatar was released?  Davy Jones in DMC?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Like what? I'm sorry, Avatar's a damn entertaining film, but it isn't some kind of life-changing experience from a storytelling perspective imo. It has an oppressive rule to the story world, and then populates its cast with characters who either oppose this rule, embody this rule, or learn to oppose the rule. Any good/competent film does this. So if this movie has somehow done something groundbreaking or new other than have good 3d and computer effects, please tell me. 

Why this obsession with Avatar being groundbreaking or not, who gives a damn really apart Avatar detractors I guess ?

4 hours ago, Crainy said:

Yep, thats about the reply I expected from you. If you cant be bothered to think about something, stop talking about it.

Settle down.

For a new user you're pretty antagonistic to other members.

If you're going to stay around here long enough to see Avatar II release than you might consider starting to respect others opinions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

he made a movie for the masses. A plot anyone could enjoy with some visuals that people wanted to see on the big screen. Released around xmas time, and was an innovation marvel in the world of 3D in Hollywood film. 

It's a technically masterful film I admit, I never have said otherwise. But I don't understand what about it makes it so profound. IMO Titanic is way better, combining the visuals with storytelling much more intimately

I can honestly say that I have never had a movie make me feel as though I was truly on an alien world, one in which I had been transplanted from my own body into that of another species, until I had seen Avatar. I still vividly remember the scene where the woodsprites float down and settle on Jake, the closest I have come to that kind of experience in the past have been on DMT trips back in my college days. 

To say that it wasn't a profound and deeply meaningful experience, is, to my mind, to be untrue to myself. Film is a visual medium, and as McLuhan famously said "The medium is the message", I find it hard to believe that you can so easily divorce the delivery from the story. 

To distill something so powerful in a movie and truly capture that 'magic' is why Jim succeeded over everyone else, you don't make that amount of money and have people going back again and again without it. 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I can honestly say that I have never had a movie make me feel as though I was truly on an alien world, one in which I had been transplanted from my own body into that of another species, until I had seen Avatar.

We're not in Kansas anymore, I agree that Avatar especially the extended version with the Earth based opening really gave the sense of being on another planet, the only other time I had a feeling like that was seeing Gravity in IMAX, it felt like I was up there with them experiencing the same sense of wonderment and subsequent horror. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

On 12/15/2018 at 4:32 AM, Deep Wang said:

You mean like what Andy Serkis was doing in LOTR almost a decade before Avatar was released?  Davy Jones in DMC?  

With Avatar it was the quantity of quality on display that pushed technology forward. Almost completely CGI on a level never before seen and maybe since.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

With Avatar it was the quantity of quality on display that pushed technology forward. Almost completely CGI on a level never before seen and maybe since.

Having watched Avatar just 2 days ago, its CGI (without the 3D effect) isnt that special anymore. Infinity War for example had much better CGI. Though thats really not surprising, considering the film came out 9 years ago.

15 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

We're not in Kansas anymore, I agree that Avatar especially the extended version with the Earth based opening really gave the sense of being on another planet, the only other time I had a feeling like that was seeing Gravity in IMAX, it felt like I was up there with them experiencing the same sense of wonderment and subsequent horror. 

I agree with you on Gravity, although it made me feel as though I was in space, not on another planet.

• Like 1