Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

4 hours ago, Avatree said:

I don't really get the whole "re releases don't count". Someone bought a ticket to see it in the cinema. Why does it matter if they did it on day 1 or day 50 or day 5000 of release. You think if there was a rerelease of the biggest film of 15 years ago, which was Shrek 2, you think Shrek 2 rerelease would add hundreds of millions of dollars? Its a credit to the film that people will still pay to rewatch it in cinema after all this time - or equally that it can attract new audiences despite being old.

I don't see it that way, that re-releases don't count. Absolutely not. I'm looking at it the other way around, that other films haven't had the luxury of having a re-release yet.

I don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill here though. Titanic's run in 1997/1998 sans 3D is obviously more impressive than, well, any other box office run really.

12 hours ago, Avatree said:

I don't really get the whole "re releases don't count". Someone bought a ticket to see it in the cinema. Why does it matter if they did it on day 1 or day 50 or day 5000 of release. You think if there was a rerelease of the biggest film of 15 years ago, which was Shrek 2, you think Shrek 2 rerelease would add hundreds of millions of dollars? Its a credit to the film that people will still pay to rewatch it in cinema after all this time - or equally that it can attract new audiences despite being old.

Agreed, and why I think Jim should be re-releasing Titanic every 5 years. 

• Like 2

Just now, Pure Spirit said:

Even if Endgame pulls it off... A2 will put Jim back on top. I kinda hope Endgame does, just so Jim has a little pressure.

I'd like to see it topple Titanic to make Jim sweat, but I want Avatar to stay #1 just to remind everyone that Jim is top dog (and for the marketing team of A2). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I'd like to see it topple Titanic to make Jim sweat, but I want Avatar to stay #1 just to remind everyone that Jim is top dog (and for the marketing team of A2). 

The last time Jim wasn’t on top of the Box Office he released Titanic and nearly doubled the #1.  Not worried on the off chance End Game actually beats Avatar (unlikely but possible). I have a feeling Endgame was be extraordinarily frontloaded. Super easy to get tickets to non IMAX screens or anything beyond OW.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

The last time Jim wasn’t on top of the Box Office he released Titanic and nearly doubled the #1.  Not worried on the off chance End Game actually beats Avatar (unlikely but possible). I have a feeling Endgame was be extraordinarily frontloaded. Super easy to get tickets to non IMAX screens or anything beyond OW.

Most MCU movies came out of the gate fast and tend to fade quick - Infinity War held up pretty well week to week. It made 98.25% of its domestic gross in the first 8 weeks out of a 20 week run. 

Avatar made 83.8% in the first 8 weeks out of a 34 week run. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel0518.htm

2 hours ago, Deuce66 said:

Most MCU movies came out of the gate fast and tend to fade quick - Infinity War held up pretty well week to week. It made 98.25% of its domestic gross in the first 8 weeks out of a 20 week run. 

Avatar made 83.8% in the first 8 weeks out of a 34 week run. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=marvel0518.htm

IW was actually legit good, though. This could be Civil War quality, in which case beating Avatar 2 ain't happening, it's gonna have to be at least IW quality or better to have a chance.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

IW was actually legit good, though. This could be Civil War quality, in which case beating Avatar 2 ain't happening, it's gonna have to be at least IW quality or better to have a chance.

Come on now dude, it was good for a marvel movie but "legit good"?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Come on now dude, it was good for a marvel movie but "legit good"?

Don't get hung up on the phrasing, it's still only a 7/10, whereas I'd put most Marvel movies at 5/10 or lower. Avatar 2 is gonna be an 11/10 :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

People really think EG can beat Avatar? 

Nope it won't, it might have a tiny shot if we convert the ER to 2009 (but not adjust for inflation and growing markets) but even then I would not bet on it.

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

Nope it won't, it might have a tiny shot if we convert the ER to 2009 (but not adjust for inflation and growing markets) but even then I would not bet on it.

i thought that this was an avatare thread not an avengers thread is this thing usual here ?

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i thought that this was an avatare thread not an avengers thread is this thing usual here ?

No clue only check in here a so often. But I guess so, or they talk about A2 4B bottomline. 

4 minutes ago, pepsa said:

No clue only check in here a so often. But I guess so, or they talk about A2 4B bottomline. 

You forgot to adjust for inflation. I think Jimbo's bottomline is somewhere around 5 billies now

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

You forgot to adjust for inflation. I think Jimbo's bottomline is somewhere around 5 billies now

You are right, damm my bad.  And we all know predictions will go up by the time it's released.

7 hours ago, pepsa said:

You are right, damm my bad.  And we all know predictions will go up by the time it's released.

When I first joined the forum I was sitting around $3.2b.

Now with average films hitting the $2b mark it shows that there's much more money to be made today.

$4b is the floor as of now.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

22 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

When I first joined the forum I was sitting around $3.2b.

Now with average films hitting the $2b mark it shows that there's much more money to be made today.

$4b is the floor as of now.

Avatar was very average film. You are damned right. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1