Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

$400M domestic or so.  i don't know nor care about worldwide

You've gone down $50m from your February 2017 estimate of $450m! ($90m OW)

1 hour ago, YourMother said:

Something around $500M-$550M domestic and a shitton OS.

Also dropped from $600M dom ($2.4b ww)

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

An interesting question is whether we'll be counting the US or China as domestic come the release of A2. 

China without a doubt will hold the record for the highest single region grossing film by that point, look at Wolf Warriors 2.

I think the US will still be called domestic though, at least on here :>

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

China without a doubt will hold the record for the highest single region grossing film by that point, look at Wolf Warriors 2.

I think the US will still be called domestic though, at least on here :>

Nationalism never really was pretty, I hope people can be above that and admit Chinese dominance in the box office when it inevitably arrives. 

• Like 1

Just now, JamesCameronScholar said:

Nationalism never really was pretty, I hope people can be above that and admit Chinese dominance in the box office when it inevitably arrives. 

"All there numbers are lies and they have terrible taste so it doesn't count. After all, only the brain dead would prefer blue Pocahontas in space wolves over STAR WARS."

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

"All there numbers are lies and they have terrible taste so it doesn't count. After all, only the brain dead would prefer blue Pocahontas in space wolves over STAR WARS."

Which is itself a rip off of a Japanese story... so if Avatar is Pocahontas (which it isn't) then its waaaaay more American. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I know the economy will probably have an election year bounce and Trump's second term bump, but I really don't see the US staying ahead of the value of China's box office. 

Not sure what that has to do with domestic, the domestic box office is purely from the movie country of production (and/or speaker) point of view, not about box office size.

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Not sure what that has to do with domestic, the domestic box office is purely from the movie country of production (and/or speaker) point of view, not about box office size.

Except 'domestic' is the US and Canada, no? if you were going on country of production LOTR would be a NZ production would it not? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Except 'domestic' is the US and Canada, no? if you were going on country of production LOTR would be a NZ production would it not? 

The Domestic box office is yes: United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and Guam

I meant by that, that the domestic box office expression has nothing to with the market size, domestic is a general term used to relate to:

indigenous to or produced or made within one'sown country; not foreign; native:

When french people talk about box office, domestic would change for French box office for example (it is purely relative to the speaker and movie). the industry being so Hollywood centric and the expression so vastly used that I imagine it could have polluted the world a little bit and people using domestic has the US box office in some ways.

Transformer making more in China than in the US does not make China the domestic box office of the Transformer movie for an american commentator.

Lord of the rings was still a production/distribution that involved Warner Brother/New Line, an american company, they were 

| 

Productions.

• Community Manager
6 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It's not nationalism. It's considered domestic because it's being made by an American film studio. It's being filmed in California. It's being directed by a Canadian. 

A film primarily made by a Chinese studio  would consider China the domestic market and America a foreign market. If a Mexican company made a film, the domestic market would be Mexico and the foreign market would be USA (and China).

Since BOT is based in America, domestic box office will be North America. If we ever move to China, we will consider the Chinese box office domestic.

It doesn't matter which country is more dominant in the box office. That's not what domestic means. And trying to tie this in with nationalism is wrong.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Fuck naysayers, kids are super adorable and charming, seem to have great chemistry and after IT I'm down for more movies with kid protagonists. I miss HP. 

bring this on!

I think Jake and Neytiri will still be the main protagonists in Avatar 2.