Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

27 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

It sucks it really does.. wonder who will attempt it. I'm not really knowledgable on composers myself.

Since BP is breaking out, I'd say why not give Ludwig Göransson a go. His approach at marrying multi-ethnic sounds/chants with classical arrangements doesn't seem so far off from Horner's approach. Both are fond of soaring epic trumpets too.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Since BP is breaking out, I'd say why not give Ludwig Göransson a go. His approach at marrying multi-ethnic sounds/chants with classical arrangements doesn't seem so far off from Horner's approach. Both are fond of soaring epic trumpets too.

I was thinking Silvestri, or Newton Howard, however Goransson would indeed be a pretty good choice. There were a lot of great uses of African drums, and tribal vocals in BP, much like what Horner used in Avatar. Could see it fitting the world of Pandora quite well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Sorry....but I am for now off the Avatar hype train. JC will have to make a movie that gets his message across without coming off preachy. Avatar was a great experience but extremely preachy. With the changing landscape in films, I just don't see how it can become a phenomenon or a cultural event. 

Are you sure you were ON the hype train in the first place?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

I can see him doing Avatar quite easily based on this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

I can see him doing Avatar quite easily based on this. 

Gave it a little skip through, it sounds almost directly out of Avatar in places, the track at 7minutes. I'm going to give this a listen.

18 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

From 1'14 onwards. Chills.

I'm about 50 minutes into the full ost, I'm not feeling it. It's too generic.

Avatar's ost is unbelievable, a couple levels above that.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I'm about 50 minutes into the full ost, I'm not feeling it. It's too generic.

Avatar's ost is unbelievable, a couple levels above that.

Generic?

That "operatic" theme at 2:54 must be the most instantly recognizable cue out of the MCU aside Avengers signature theme. It got some Nino Rota flavor to it that distinguish itself from the pack.

To be honest, I found Avatar soundtrack generic world music mixed with synthetic orchestra pads (At times, it sounds like cheap new age synths). Aside from WAR and the destruction of Home Tree, I cringed at times when Horner goes "World Music for dummies" and lazily recycles his old trumpet 4 notes motif.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Generic?

That "operatic" theme at 2:54 must be the most instantly recognizable cue out of the MCU aside Avengers signature theme. It got some Nino Rota flavor to it that distinguish itself from the pack.

To be honest, I found Avatar soundtrack generic world music mixed and synthetic orchestra pads. Aside from WAR and the fall of Home Tree, I cringed at times when Horner goes "World Music for dummies" and lazily recycles his old trumpet 4 notes motif.

I'm not going to claim I know what I'm talking about when it comes to skill of a composer. The Avatar score for me just has the wow factor, now maybe BP's dude has the talent to recapture the Avatar sound, but I wouldn't know what to be looking for.

• Like 1

Alan Silvestri is my best guess. During his early career Cameron was having a bit of a tough time finding the best workflow with the composer. Now he surely doesn't have that problem any more, but I think he would still prefer someone whom he worked with before.

Name me the young guns in movie scores that aren't too much Zimmer influenced but more from the old school, the Willams/Goldsmith/Horner/Silvestri/JNH or even before kind of guys.

Edited by The Futurist

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Name me the young guns in movie scores that aren't too much Zimmer influenced but more from the old school, the Willams/Goldsmith/Horner/Silvestri/JNH or even before kind of guys.

Max Richter, Clint Mansell, Craig Armstrong, Bear McCreary, Ludwig Göransson, Martin Phipps...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yes, that would be a great choice.

Who would do the soundtrack? I hope we he requests one of or both Kendrick Lamar and Bruno Mars to compose some great tracks for this movie. Both are completely different from each other, but either one can do something special. Kendrick has already proved it with Black Panther.