Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

2 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

This is the magical stuff that only Jim can create. 

The best part is that my parents are now super excited for Avatar 2, which they didn't even know existed until they went to Disneyland!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

The best part is that my parents are now super excited for Avatar 2, which they didn't even know existed until they went to Disneyland!

Disney World-Animal Kingdom 

11 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So, my parents are in Orlando this week and they went to Pandora at Disney for the first time... They decided to go during the daytime but also went back at 9:30pm when their fastpass was lol. Anyway here's the same picture at day/night - my Mum says she was blown away with just how much the world transforms at nighttime!

EimwuQC.png 0Q7x1MU.png

nice pics, they're truly lucky

Just now, IronJimbo said:

nice pics, they're truly lucky

Yep, except the little shits went without me because I have exams

1 minute ago, DAR said:

Disney World-Animal Kingdom 

Oops! My bad. I always forget which is -World, -Land and such

2 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

Yep, except the little shits went without me because I have exams

Oops! My bad. I always forget which is -World, -Land and such

World is Central Florida/Orlando.  Land is California/Anaheim

50 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

So, my parents are in Orlando this week and they went to Pandora at Disney for the first time... They decided to go during the daytime but also went back at 9:30pm when their fastpass was lol. Anyway here's the same picture at day/night - my Mum says she was blown away with just how much the world transforms at nighttime!

EimwuQC.png 0Q7x1MU.png

Nice pictures, did they go on "Flight of Passage" if yes what did they think, were they blown away or almost moved to tears? 

Regarding Cameron's take on Marvel, I have to agree that while most of their movies are entertaining they also work within a very rigid framework (formula) that doesn't vary a whole lot from film to film. Maybe the new Avengers will be pressing the reset button on the whole thing and they and can move into more experimental territory. 

I'm looking forward to his upcoming show on AMC. 

58 minutes ago, DAR said:

Asking for a friend but what if you think Avatar is a just a good movie but far from Cameron’s best?

It might not be the best story however if you watch the making of Avatar it will shed light on the enormous technical hurdles that they had to get over to even make the movie, I think we'll really see the world of Avatar take flight in the sequels given the amount of time spent to make the scripts as good as they can be and the time it took to get the "new" tech working properly. Stephen Lang called the sequels Avatar on steroids, sounds about right. 

My ranking of Cameron directed movies, all of them I would give a 4 or 5 star rating. 

1- T2

2- Aliens

3- Avatar

4- T1

5- The Abyss

6- Titanic

7- True Lies 

5 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

It might not be the best story however if you watch the making of Avatar it will shed light on the enormous technical hurdles that they had to get over to even make the movie, I think we'll really see the world of Avatar take flight in the sequels given the amount of time spent to make the scripts as good as they can be and the time it took to get the "new" tech working properly. Stephen Lang called the sequels Avatar on steroids, sounds about right.

My ranking of Cameron directed movies, all of them I would give a 4 or 5 star rating.

1- T2

2- Aliens

3- Avatar

4- T1

5- The Abyss

6- Titanic

7- True Lies

That's the thing with Jim movies as Feasby said, his worst is better than most directors best, there's no shame in being Cameron's worst movie.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1

http://deadline.com/2018/04/james-cameron-amc-sci-fi-series-oscar-snubs-terminator-avatar-sequels-1202373780/

God I wish they just had a video of this press conference.

"It’s a family drama, so it’s The Godfather. Obviously a very different genre [and]  a very different story but I got intrigued by that idea, so that’s really what it is. It’s a generational family saga very different than the first film. Now, it’s the same type of settings and the same sort of respect for that shock of the new that we want to show you things that not only that you haven’t seen, but you haven’t imagined, ” he said adding the story is not what we might expect. “It’s a continuation of the same characters but what happens when warriors, willing to go on suicide charges and leap off cliffs on to the backs of big orange Toruks, grow up and have their own kids. Now the kids are the change makers.  It’s interesting. Everyone is either a parent or they had parents at the very least. If you look at the big successful franchises now they are pretty much uninterested in it. So this could be the seeds of utter damnation and doom for the project or could be the thing that makes it stand apart and continue to be unique. Nobody knows until you make the movie and put it out. Anyone who thinks this is easy or they are just printing money over there at the Avatar studio,  it doesn’t work that way.”

"Science Fiction is kind of a commercial genre. It’s not really an elevated dramatic genre. In fact, it’s a genre as opposed to humanistic storytelling. But I would argue until I am blue in the face that science fiction is the quintessence of being human in a sense. We are technological beings. We are the only truly conscious species that we know of. We are struggling with ourselves over the issue of our own quest for understanding, our own ability to manipulate the fabric of reality, our own technologies blowing back on us and changing the way we behave amongst ourselves and as a civilization. We are living a science fiction reality. So I would say there is nothing more quintessentially human than dealing with these themes, but I agree Hollywood tends to pull short from that. They will reward science fiction films for their accomplishment visually, but they are definitely a kind of red-headed stepchild when it comes to the acting, producing, directing categories."

WORDSMITH

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Thanks 1

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

Edited by Royce
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Well I do agree people will see it a lot on the opening weekend but I'm sorry to say it won't be much after than.

I'm expecting $240m opening weekend followed a total of $590m, probably 800 or so overseas.

Probably more like 1B overseas, but still, won't be anything close to Titanic and Avatar.

7 minutes ago, Royce said:

If you made a movie more than once a decade, Jim, maybe you'd get your wish.

Won't happen though. Avatar is a technical marvel but it hasn't entered and pretty much taken over pop culture the way Marvel has. They aren't going away anytime soon. The audience is enjoying these stories - and the big over arching story - way too much.

I'll go see Avatar 2 in a couple years though if it's not, ya know, delayed again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Won't happen though. Avatar is a technical marvel but it hasn't entered and pretty much taken over pop culture the way Marvel has. They aren't going away anytime soon. The audience is enjoying these stories - and the big over arching story - way too much.

I'll go see Avatar 2 in a couple years though if it's not, ya know, delayed again.

Name a standalone film from the last decade with more popculture (what ever that is)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JB33 said:

Avatar had a pretty big culteral impact in other countries other than America though. Just look at china, they renamed their mountains after it. Had Avatar spawned a franchise early on then lets face it, it will be in todays pop culture

They dont have films coming out every 6 months so obviously it wont be as relevent in todays pop culture.

• Like 2