Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

6 hours ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Reading comments on articles people don't seem to realise just how much Avatar made, they think IW can still beat it. Are people really this out of touch? 

To be fair, Infinity War has beaten Avatar in some huge important markets. Such as Bolivia. 

• Haha 3

50 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

BeeCJohnson

75 points·16 hours ago

It blows my mind that Avatar is still at the top. I haven't heard anyone mention the word "Avatar" outside of box office discussions in like a decade. Nobody cares about that movie.

How is it still at the top? It had zero cultural impact.

I look forward in 10 years time to seeing the cultural impact of Infinity War Part One. People will be talking about it every day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/10/2018 at 10:56 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wish there was a role for Arnold in the sequels, although I guess he's busy doing his own thing and probably doesn't want to strain himself too much. 

I think Arnold would be a great bad guy! 

7 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The /r/movies subreddit is the worst when reading about box office and Avatar.

If anyone in here is a masochist enjoys self hurt take a look in this thread

I'll post some of the best bits here so sorry in advance.

Flamma_Man

2.3k points·17 hours ago·edited 15 hours ago

Honestly, even if it was a day behind Avatar, this run to two billion was far more impressive, like you said, for being a Summer release.

Not to mention having SOME competition to bite at its legs like Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

RazielKainly

168 points·15 hours ago

Avatar was a novelty. It was the first well done mostly cg movie with immersive 3D.

Take out the visual prowess and it was a barebone plot with subpar acting

3D is now a fad and most people have been used to all the crazy cg since then.

Expect Avatar 2 to not top $1.5 B

allusernamestakenfuk

58 points·17 hours ago

I hope it surpasses that overrated crap of Avatar

BeeCJohnson

75 points·16 hours ago

It blows my mind that Avatar is still at the top. I haven't heard anyone mention the word "Avatar" outside of box office discussions in like a decade. Nobody cares about that movie.

How is it still at the top? It had zero cultural impact.

126xd795ib501.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Zoe finishing makes sense, since I believe the mocap filming is done / almost done, and they're moving onto the human scenes in New Zealand. Makes sense that she's not there for the human scenes since, ya know, she ain't human! 

Unless this is a slight undertone that she doesn't have as many scenes as others, indicating she's gonna die in Avatar 3.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, feasby007 said:

Zoe finishing makes sense, since I believe the mocap filming is done / almost done, and they're moving onto the human scenes in New Zealand. Makes sense that she's not there for the human scenes since, ya know, she ain't human! 

Unless this is a slight undertone that she doesn't have as many scenes as others, indicating she's gonna die in Avatar 3.

Anything is possible but the former seems far more likely, I read the performance capturing is already done aswell.

Does that mean Ney won't go to Hell's Gate? Or would have performance already be done then added to live action scenes yet to be shot...

13 minutes ago, feasby007 said:

well.... that was... unpleasant 😩

Not sure what you were expecting but I did say at download, as in you know the rock / metal festival, I understand not everyone likes metal :) 

love the singers voice, love the theatrics and the theme, and the sound and the flow of the music. 

Lightstorm Entertainment’s Jon Landau came to the stage to say they are in the middle of production on James Cameron’s Avatar sequels, and tossed to a video from Cameron on set who said he is on day 130 of performance capture. He was standing in front of a giant water tank and noted water “plays a huge part” in the new movies which will travel to “never before seen parts of Pandora.” He asided that Kate Winslet can hold her breath underwater for seven minutes and that Zoe Saldana wrapped her part last Friday. The early results on the movies “are beyond even our expectations,” Cameron concluded.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ranger Tree said:

Not sure what you were expecting but I did say at download, as in you know the rock / metal festival, I understand not everyone likes metal :) 

love the singers voice, love the theatrics and the theme, and the sound and the flow of the music. 

Yeah, am not a fan of metal. Was hoping it would be a bit more rocky than metal, but oh well :) 

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

Lightstorm Entertainment’s Jon Landau came to the stage to say they are in the middle of production on James Cameron’s Avatar sequels, and tossed to a video from Cameron on set who said he is on day 130 of performance capture. He was standing in front of a giant water tank and noted water “plays a huge part” in the new movies which will travel to “never before seen parts of Pandora.” He asided that Kate Winslet can hold her breath underwater for seven minutes and that Zoe Saldana wrapped her part last Friday. The early results on the movies “are beyond even our expectations,” Cameron concluded.

Oh boy, that's impressive by Kate. We're getting closer every day. 

20 hours ago, Ranger Tree said:

To be fair, Infinity War has beaten Avatar in some huge important markets. Such as Bolivia. 

Also Chile, where Avatar is also outsold by Ice Age, Minions... 😉

There's a lot of markets where IW has beaten Avatar, no need to be condescending 

On 6/10/2018 at 5:56 PM, JamesCameronScholar said:

Wish there was a role for Arnold in the sequels, although I guess he's busy doing his own thing and probably doesn't want to strain himself too much. 

I don't know about that....there is no magic pill - Go Arnie.

Edited by Deuce66
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Do we know who is doing live action? If SW is going to be doing it then that means human Jake, flashbacks to his brother maybe? 

Damn that had slipped my mind, Zoe has finished filming but not Sam? It's possible it just hasn't been reported yet.

• Like 1

I love reading the dubious advance buzz JC movies get. Found an early leak that Avatar is "vomit-inducing", or "The Mounting Evidence That Avatar Will Suck, Part 2: An Eyewitness Account".

http://gawker.com/5412825/the-mounting-evidence-that-avatar-will-suck-part-2-an-eyewitness-account

"There are some beautiful moments [in the film] but overall it's a horrible piece of shit."

:hahaha:

The tinfoil hat part of my brain wonders if Disney my quash this type of buzz for Avatar 2.

• Like 2