Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

Avatar entered the NBR Top Films winners 

So far, bodes very well for some Oscar nominations

meh

a best picture was always guaranteed

the only thing this proves is that it might be below TGM in the pecking order, which  might not be the greatest of signs but could also mean it hasnt been screened enough

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

meh

the only thing this proves is that it might be below TGM in the pecking order

Oh boy, I can just imagine how unbearably smug all the anti-SJW Internet and media personalities will be if TGM wins Best Picture. 

Edited by WittyUsername

2 minutes ago, Andreas said:

unexpectedly low number

it's not. 3D screens have to meet certain markets to be able to play Avatar

it's low because they're pushing 3d and its expected

Edited by IronJimbo

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

it's low because they're pushing 3d and its expected

I understand that 3D is being pushed, but does that mean that 2D-only theaters cannot play Avatar?

As I have said many times. More than Theater count, Screen/Show counts matter. The ones who are missing are not that relevant to BO. Could be drive ins or indies which may not have the right projection for this movie. 

For now Avatar is not looking huge from show counts but it will increase big time next tuesday/wednesday. BO is dead at the moment. Multiplexes will play in as many screens as required. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I’m assuming you mean “certain standards”? If so, that’s not strictly true, Disney can request that cinemas screen the film with the brightness turned up to a particular level to give a better 3D image, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the cinemas will all comply, and Disney can’t keep tabs on every cinema screen. They won’t be holding the film back from anywhere that wants to show it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

As I have said many times. More than Theater count, Screen/Show counts matter. The ones who are missing are not that relevant to BO. Could be drive ins or indies which may not have the right projection for this movie. 

For now Avatar is not looking huge from show counts but it will increase big time next tuesday/wednesday. BO is dead at the moment. Multiplexes will play in as many screens as required. 

could simply be theaters that dont have 3d equipment deciding it might be a better bet to go all in on the adult dramas and puss in boots while those that can do 3d hog up all of the avatar tickets

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

15 minutes ago, Andreas said:

unexpectedly low number

Yeah - Top Gun peaked with 4,751. I think part of it has to due with the hard push on 3D (not all theatres are equipped) + Disney being notoriously difficult to deal with for small indie theatres. Paramount is much more flexible. My small hometown 1 screen theatre had Top Gun on opening weekend, they showed it for two weeks, anything Disney (MCU/Disney/Pixar/20th) don't show up for at least 4-6 after opening due to Disney being dicks. 

27 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

meh

the only thing this proves is that it might be below TGM in the pecking order, which  might not be the greatest of signs but could also mean it hasnt been screened enough

You really do take some negative viewpoints at times dont you lol.

First the doom and gloom over a couple of mixed reviews in the face of tons of super positive reviews.

Now its a 'given' that A2 would get a best pictore nom, and its meh becaue it could be behind TGM, a film thats one of the best reviewed, and loved, blockbuster films in recent years.

Go get some air bud.😄

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m assuming you mean “certain standards”? If so, that’s not strictly true, Disney can request that cinemas screen the film with the brightness turned up to a particular level to give a better 3D image, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that the cinemas will all comply, and Disney can’t keep tabs on every cinema screen. They won’t be holding the film back from anywhere that wants to show it.

We would always just get a flyer with the HDD that would tell us what specifications they prefer and that's about it lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

We would always just get a flyer with the HDD that would tell us what specifications they prefer and that's about it lol.

Yep. Same here. I remember getting a nicely worded letter from Michael Bay with one of the Transformers movies. The manager promptly ignored it.

• Haha 1

The theatre count number isnt showing for me, but i already thought it would be a bit lower than a standard blockbuster (like 4500+).

It was one of the reasons why i was initially predicting around 150mil for OW.

Again its just another factor in play and another reason why this film will be about legs, not record breaking weekends.