Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

If he's going to spend a billion on these movies I expect him to at least hire a decent writer this time. It can't cost that much to create a decent script right?

Avatar was so damn banal and the dialogue was just so cringeworthy. Please, an engaging story would be the biggest visual effect he could create.

• Like 1

If he's going to spend a billion on these movies I expect him to at least hire a decent writer this time. It can't cost that much to create a decent script right?

Avatar was so damn banal and the dialogue was just so cringeworthy. Please, an engaging story would be the biggest visual effect he could create.

Cameron is supposed to have multiple writers working with him on the scripts. Besides i trust in Cameron with the sript, AVATAR may of been basic by his standards but i think he really wasn't used to PG13 after doing so many R rated Sci_Fi films. Plus he wrote ALIENS which is one of if not the most quoted Sci-Fi films ever.

• Like 1

A billion for all three seems low. In any case, that'd be a slam-dunk in terms of profitability. (Consider that the HOBBIT trilogy is gonna cost around a billion, all told, including marketing; that's gonna be insanely profitable, and AVATAR is head-and-shoulders above HOBBIT both domestically and internationally).

A billion for all three seems low. In any case, that'd be a slam-dunk in terms of profitability. (Consider that the HOBBIT trilogy is gonna cost around a billion, all told, including marketing; that's gonna be insanely profitable, and AVATAR is head-and-shoulders above HOBBIT both domestically and internationally).

Its $330mil per film!, marketing isn't included.

Its $330mil per film!, marketing isn't included.

Still seems low/fine -- especially compared to Disney's budgets lately.

edit: realistically, even low-balling all three sequels, you come up with each earning a minimum of a billion WW (and honestly probably quite a bit higher, at least for the first one). Money in the bank.

Edited by Telemachos

Avatar WAS engaging, that's the reason why it grossed almost 3 billion and why Cameron's movies in general are as successful as they are.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 4

For this talk of the trilogy costing $1B. Let's not forget Avatar 1 was supposed to have a budget of $300 to $400M but came down to $237, most likely after tax breaks and whatnot. And, even at $1B, that isn't so bad. I am predicting the first new one to make at least $2B WW.

• Like 1

For this talk of the trilogy costing $1B. Let's not forget Avatar 1 was supposed to have a budget of $300 to $400M but came down to $237, most likely after tax breaks and whatnot. And, even at $1B, that isn't so bad. I am predicting the first new one to make at least $2B WW.

I don't have any specific information, but I really really really doubt that official $237m number. Not that it matters.

(cue Goffe....) :D

• Like 1

The first time i saw that scene, i knew this film was going to be huge, you just knew it would click with many, many people.

Me too. It took me by surprise. (Thanks god they didn't put that shot in those bloody extended trailers).

It struck the right chord on the right moment. We talk about "money shot" to describe action bits but for me that was the "emotional shot" that became the best "money shot" of the movie.

I totally forgot that was CG. It was genuine and perfect. Two worlds meeting. A giant Alien blue woman cuddling her frailed human lover like a Madone cuddling her sweet baby Jesus, seeing each other for the first time as a pay-off to the "I see you" mantra. That's when I said to myself, "Cameron did it again, he just blew my mind and my heart".

Yeah, I never saw that in a movie before.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2