Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

The hero's journey/cycle is the most basic yet hardest thing to pull off perfectly.

We all love it. It's all ingrained in our minds.

Avatar did it perfectly. You don't make close to 3billion just for special effects. That assumption is childish and ridiculous.

Of course it's reasonable to be critical of the movie, and say something about the sequels in terms of potential BO. I myself think it will decrease etc.

But it's tiring to hear some people only talk about sfx = the reason for its success.

Of course the novelty of 3D and the VFX were a part of Avatar's success  but you don't get those holds and numbers solely on 3d and VFX.

No mater how many times you try to explain this to nasayers, they fake they don't get  it.

• Like 1

Seems low a 4.45X.

Yeah but I think there will be a lot of demand on OW. A huge opener like this has never been released in December before so I think we can expect a different pattern. Also Avatar 2 is still a sequel and it will be more front loaded, Avatar came out of nowhere for the GA which I think helped it's legs a lot. Still, a 4.45 multiplier is better than any film in the top 5 December opening which the exception of ROTK which was released on a Wednesday.

Yeah but I think there will be a lot of demand on OW. A huge opener like this has never been released in December before so I think we can expect a different pattern. Also Avatar 2 is still a sequel and it will be more front loaded, Avatar came out of nowhere for the GA which I think helped it's legs a lot. Still, a 4.45 multiplier is better than any film in the top 5 December opening which the exception of ROTK which was released on a Wednesday.

Still a cut in half of multi, seems harsh.

Honestly I think the Star Wars 7 will have a higher OW for December. Avatar should still be high and should hold better later on though

I don't think we can assume Avatar 2+ will have the same legs as the first one. Avatar was helped tremendously by its groundbreaking use of 3D, which caused a lot of repeat viewings.

I don't think we can assume Avatar 2+ will have the same legs as the first one. Avatar was helped tremendously by its groundbreaking use of 3D, which caused a lot of repeat viewings.

well it definitely won't hold as well as the first Avatar. But it'll still hold better then Star Wars 7

In the least surprising news ever: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sam-worthington-zoe-saldana-back-669894

Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana Back for All Three 'Avatar' Sequels

The trio of movies are being made back-to-back-to-back by James Cameron, who last August enlistedJosh Friedman, duo Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver, and Shane Salerno to help him work on the screenplays.

The first actor who signed on for all three new movies was Stephen Lang, who played mad Marine Colonel Quaritch in the 2009 film. His character dies in the first film, so it will be interesting to see how Cameron resurrects him.

Edited by grim22

http://badassdigest.com/2014/01/14/whew-avatar-2-17-will-have-actors-in-it/

Good article on how AVATAR made all this $$$ and how no one asked for a sequel(s) or seems to give a shit and it's true..

Posted Image

Yeah, then it comes out and BAM...people give a shit.

James Cameron will deliver...I have no doubt. Granted, I don't think it'll make...we'll...Avatar money.

Ahah Spazz.., but who says James wont offer a movie far more out of this world than the first.. :)

ANd like neo and so many others are saying in Box office forums no mega film from Cameron has ever gotten less than a  range of 7-20x multiplier...

So expect mega legs as Avatar 2 will be like what T2 was over Terminator. :) ALiens was over the entire franchise..LOL :)

Im with neo we should get a 5.5-7x+ Multiplier  even with a 140-160+M OW.

• Like 1