Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Yikes, I've got a bad feeling that China will ban Avatar too out of spite, at first they only target Marvel, but now... 
Chapek is such a sh*tty Bob's variant, from the drama with Scarlett Johansson to the DSG bill, to this statement. I want my Bob Iger back.

Edited by honeycookiez
  • Like 1

Massive Avatar fan. Think I saw the first one in cinema about 5 times, 3 of which in IMAX 3D. Was slightly underwhelmed with the first teaser even saying to my partner I thought it was fake video first time I watched it. No doubt it will look amazing in 4k HFR 3d but do hope the next one is better but on a 1080p screen at home it looked fine I guess.

2 hours ago, TheDude391 said:

Dang, was hoping this would drop with the movie. Wanted to go full Pandora mode for a month or two watching and playing back and forth.

It'll be out around the theatrical release, likely November. The date is just shareholder speak saying that it'll come out before the end of the new financial year, they mentioned another couple of games that'll be coming within the next FY without a specific release date. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, honeycookiez said:

Yikes, I've got a bad feeling that China will ban Avatar too out of spite, at first they only target Marvel, but now... 
Chapek is such a sh*tty Bob's variant, from the drama with Scarlett Johansson to the DSG bill, to this statement. I want my Bob Iger back.

Remember when people were supporting him still instead of ScarJo back then? Less chances this gets released in China now.

2 hours ago, honeycookiez said:

Chapek is a shitty CEO. 

But this statement is W. 

Fuck China amd their pathetic censorship. I would be done with China if they were banning my movies left and right with no actual reason. 

This is the way

• Like 1

It's kind of annoying that China is ruining following world-wide gross in box-office.

Perhaps we need to all collectively agree on a standard... a measurement that only includes approved countries?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tarintino said:

Teaser looks special, this will make 1 billie domestically, seeing a lot of love online

AGREED, come archive this estimation and reap the smug points next year

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 12:00 AM, dudalb said:

Liking Avatar is fine. It this James Cameron is God and Can Do No Wrong and Is Above All Criticism and Will Save The World and AnyBody Who Disagrees Is A Evil Heritic that gets to me.

And, as for the message of Avatar, I though that it would have been more effective if Cameron did not hit you over the head with it. The best kind of sermon is where you are not aware it is a sermon.

Nah not for a film like this. If you want to convey and translate your message to over 100 different countries then it's best not to be so subtle. Simplicity was the reason for its worldwide success

On 5/11/2022 at 1:50 AM, Ozymandias said:

VICE posted a negative reaction to the trailer, can we get some methodical effort-posts refuting this heresy please?  I'm on the look out for more blasphemers, vigorously refreshing multiple search engines every couple hours.

This bodes well. Vice is the Armond White of Journalism. I used to think they were pure satire but turns out they aren't. If Vice is talking Avatar down, you know it's going to be good

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

It's kind of annoying that China is ruining following world-wide gross in box-office.

Perhaps we need to all collectively agree on a standard... a measurement that only includes approved countries?

It's called "worldwide", not "select list of countries I agree with wide". Don't worry man, you'll survive even if the film doesn't beat A1; you have another 3 sequels greenlit before this one's even out!

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

We already do that. 

If Avatar 2 doesn't release in China, it has that excuse going for it. 

You just have to compare the markets both released. 

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

It's called "worldwide", not "select list of countries I agree with wide". Don't worry man, you'll survive even if the film doesn't beat A1; you have another 3 sequels greenlit before this one's even out!

I dont think you know @IronJimbo

9 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Ohhh don't miss understand, Avatar 2 is making 3 billies without China. I'm not worried for Avatar at all.

This was a general thing for tracking box office.

For example, say in 2022 that 5 of the top 10 highest grossing films of the year have China releases, and 5 do not. Then someone drops the list of the top 10 highest grossers. Well the list is really getting pointless to look at, without putting an asterisk against the films which had a China release. Which goes into my point in that we need a way to define films better when the 1st/2nd biggest market is so unreliable.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I dont think you know @IronJimbo

I can't lie to you. I would be very confused if Avatar: The Way of Water doesn't make mad billies. Would probably have to go up to the mountains for a month and stay away from civilisation until I understand the world better.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Chapek is a shitty CEO. 

But this statement is W. 

Fuck China amd their pathetic censorship. I would be done with China if they were banning my movies left and right with no actual reason. 

This is the way

As much as I want Avatar to show in China, and make it a true epic box office run.

This is my general sentiment as well!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't let our movies play there anymore period.  Don't wait to let them have the power to decide what they will show, take them all off the table, the end.

i'm not against it, it makes me pretty mad that a2 would make an easy billie there without any restrictions. Even if it does release there they could do any old bullshit and just start limiting screenings. All or nothing, i choose nothing

• Like 1