Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

USD/EUR in Dec 09 was 0.66 it's currently at 0.95 so that tracks for exchange rate, a 36% loss in dollar value so that tracks pretty well.

Didn’t realize the USD/EUR conversion was nearly at parity. That would make it a 35% USD drop. 

Seems like a good target number for Europe overall.

• Like 1

Just now, MultiverseXXR said:

Didn’t realize the USD/EUR conversion was nearly at parity.

I'm not sure people can really even fathom the sheer amount of liquidity the fed has injected into the economy in the last 18 months.

If a recession does start between now and December, Cameron is looking at a second perfect storm for maximum dollar price at the BO. If not though, then yeah, has to sell 35% MORE tickets than he did in 09. Even adjusting for pop changes it'll be a challenge - I have full faith in Jim and the DIS marketing machine though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Inuyaki said:

What exactly has this one going for it?

Endgame is a riff on BTTF2.  

Moonlight is a riff on Wong Kar-wai (so says the filmmaker, himself).  

Nolan's Batman is a riff on James Bond. 

Titanic is a riff on...Titanic and The Poseidon Adventure.   

Tomb Raider is a riff on Indiana Jones.  

Indiana Jones is a riff on old movie serials.

Star Wars is a riff on old movie serials and Japanese Cinema and Greek Mythology and Swashbucklers etc. etc. 

Close Encounters is a riff on 1950s alien invasion movies.  

Arthur Penn's Bonnie & Clyde is a riff on old Warner Bros. gangster films.  

Sergio Leone's Spaghetti Westerns are riffs on "traditional" Westerns.

'Breathless' from the French New Wave is a riff on Classic Hollywood Detective Films. 

Etc. Etc. Etc.  

And yes, all of the great "Hero's Journey" stories go back to Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"

14 hours ago, Inuyaki said:

The story is just Pocahontas in space. If only for story, I would rather watch Pocahontas again than Avatar.

Oh...you're one of those people...  I'll let you go on your merry way, then!  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 7

24 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Etc. Etc. Etc.  

And yes, all of the great "Hero's Journey" stories go back to Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces"

Oh...you're one of those people...  I'll let you go on your merry way, then!  

Or as Ecclesiastes so eloquently puts it: There is nothing new under the sun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Cinema is for the best Visual and Audio experience. Ideally it would have 1 person in. Me.

However sadly I have to put up with others because I don't have the £50k to build a home cinema, or the rights to play movies when they're first released.

I've been watching newer movies on streaming and I miss the energy of a crowd reaction opening weekend.

I know I'm not the only one either, lol.

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Cinema is for the best Visual and Audio experience. Ideally it would have 1 person in. Me.

However sadly I have to put up with others because I don't have the £50k to build a home cinema, or the rights to play movies when they're first released.

Or any access to non heavily temporal compressed movie, it is obviously subjective and I imagine many prefer alone to a nice crowd engaged to the movie (or think they do)

The popularity of some genre like horror with theatrical, do show that for many cinemas is still about the communal experience and even if it is less and less a thing in general, a really safe and easy choice for a first date (has you do not have to speak much or rely on the other for entertainment)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Some movie experience is enhanced by crowd reactions. Infintiy War and Endgame for example. So transportive.

I mean:

:bravo:

I never really got why people lost their minds at that moment, he’d been building a new hammer for practically the entire movie, it’s hardly a shock that he turns up to the final battle. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great moment, but it’s nowhere near the portals or Cap wielding Mjolnir moments from Endgame.

17 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Honestly I've never seen people be on their phones in the theater while the movie is playing.

Where do you live? Because I’d like to move there! 

It depends on the cinema based on my experience, your average Regal/Cineworld/AMC/Odeon tend to be full of casual cinema goers who don’t really seem to care about what they’re watching and regularly pull out their phones or talk. But boutique cinemas and PLF’s tend to be where phone usage is rare, presumably because people have paid more for the experience.

Ive noticed more talkers since cinemas reopened though, mainly middle aged people, I’m guessing because some people just forgot cinema etiquette after watching films at home so much.

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

I'm looking forward to going back to Pandora but that teaser needed more of a hook. Didn't relish enough in the idea of welcoming you back, it was very melancholy. 

I mean have you looked around you lately? I think it captures the current mood pretty well.

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

I've been watching newer movies on streaming and I miss the energy of a crowd reaction opening weekend.

I know I'm not the only one either, lol.

sure the atomosphere and stuff is good pre and post movie.

However once the movie begins, I want to be lost in it.

I don't want to be travelled 4.8 lightyears back to earth because someone in front of me is as tall as a na'vi and started scratching his head. Or some people behind me start talking to each other, or laughing at a moment unrelated to the film.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I don't want to be travelled 4.8 lightyears back to earth because someone in front of me is as tall as a na'vi and started scratching his head. Or some people behind me start talking to each other, or laughing at a moment unrelated to the film.

I'm planning on cracking a cyanide capsule in my mouth the second the credits roll for A5, then I wake up on Pandora.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Empty screens are great for the right type of film. I put on a staff screening of Ex Machina purely for myself after work back on its opening weekend and it’s probably the most engrossed I’ve ever been in a film at the cinema. 

• Like 2