Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Let's not tiptoe around the truth, this looks utter trash. Marketing also awful so far. I have seen some clips (I know, it's pre-production, can't judge based on that) and it looks like a snoozefest. I'm certain it won't get great WoM. Hopefully the end product will be much better and it's obviously going to make a ton of money, but I'd lower the overall predictions.

Ah Nolan related profile picture, it checks out. Nice to see the forum hasnt changed in the years i have been away.🙄

1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

i'll never understand this HFR business, that looks like shit.

that's a fanmade video which interpolates frames to fill in the gaps when going from 24fps to 60fps.

The real tech for Avatar Remastered and Avatar 2 is actually VFR (Variable Frame Rate), where most the film will be in 24fps but it will increase it in high motion scenes when needed to remove judder. It's more of a quality of life tool than a new way of experiencing cinema.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Sub 60% RT is happening...

(sarcasm)

I can see it now....RT critics 5% - Audience 10% - CinemaScore creates a new category the Z(-), IMDB is negative 2/10. The Way of Water will break records for awfulness, the Razzies will cease because WoW will win all the awards. Audiences worldwide demanding they get refunds + $200 for wasting their time. 

10 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

that's a fanmade video which interpolates frames to fill in the gaps when going from 24fps to 60fps.

The real tech for Avatar Remastered and Avatar 2 is actually VFR (Variable Frame Rate), where most the film will be in 24fps but it will increase it in high motion scenes when needed to remove judder. It's more of a quality of life tool than a new way of experiencing cinema.

Feels like that's a good way of doing it. Looking forward to trying it out for myself

22 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

i'll never understand this HFR business, that looks like shit.

Well thats just a fan conversion i posted.

Ang Lee has actually shot a couple of his recent films at 60fps. This is what proper 60fps looks like -

It looks like real life to me, and something like AVATAR would probably be jaw dropping seeing it like this on a big screen.

Edited by stuart360

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

Will be checking out the re-release tomorrow with the variable HFR in 3D. It's my first big screen HFR experience so a bit wary. Hoping Cameron can sell me on it. 

Avatar might be more digestible because it's largely CGI, thus avoiding a lot of the pitfalls that come with HFR. 

To be fair to HFR, the CGI battles in The Hobbit looked great, it was when Bilbo was making the dwarves dinner at what felt like 2x speed where it looked weird/wrong. That was a decade ago though, and if anyone can pull it off properly, it’s James Cameron.

Water looks mesmerising in HFR too, so I can’t wait to see what Avatar 2 looks like.

2 hours ago, stuart360 said:

Well thats just a fan conversion i posted.

Ang Lee has actually shot a couple of his recent films at 60fps. This is what proper 60fps looks like -

It looks like real life to me, and something like AVATAR would probably be jaw dropping seeing it like this on a big screen.

The thing is, there are those that don't want it to look like real life. We have been trained for over 100 years how a movie is supposed to look like, it's hard to shake that off. To be honest, i don't need HFR in 2D either but i do prefer HFR when it comes to 3D because all that 24fps judder can be eye straining, particularly in fast scenes. The way Cameron is doing it, using variable frame rates depending on the scene, is probably the best way of doing it. You get the best of both worlds.

Edited by Elessar

HFR trailer is great but also different. Like you said, we arw trained. I immediately picked up on the difference and just coulnd't shake it off. I didn't hate it casue crystal clear picture has its advantages - some details I missed originally were unmissable now. But it is different and takes time to immerse. 

My fave version of A2 trailer remains IMAX version. Something about it is pure magic.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Cameron claims the first trailer received 148 million views in 24 hours? How tf did he determine thus number...

Data was officially released, it was huge indeed especially considering it was on DS2 sessions for a week and leaked in 4K days before being officially available.