Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Well glad you dare to be different brother.   Most everyone I know said First act is great and they could feel the 3HR run time.  

When the water stuff kicked in i was there for anytime the movie wanted to end

5 minutes ago, saltypistol said:

Movie was awesome, but feels like it was made for Avatar fans not the GA. Definitely doesn't have that universal appeal the first film had. 

Is there really a thing called "Avatar fans"?

All I see is people who often talk about it love its amazing visual aspect, world building, and cinematic experience. And this thing is an universal appeal I think.

2 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Is there really a thing called "Avatar fans"?

All I see is people who often talk about it love its amazing visual aspect, world building, and cinematic experience. And this thing is an universal appeal I think.

Of course there are Avatar fans? 

/tv/'s avatar release date celebration thread (where the blue frog counted down the days to avatar 2)

https://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/177945333

https://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/177946609

yeah i'll stop the dooming now

whatever happens happens

5 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

/tv/'s avatar release date celebration thread (where the blue frog counted down the days to avatar 2)

https://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/177945333

https://boards.4channel.org/tv/thread/177946609

yeah i'll stop the dooming now

whatever happens happens

736 days until Avatar 3

4 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This is definitely James Cameron's weakest movie and the worst script he's directed.  Its really fucking long with significant pacing issues(the first movie had tight pacing) and the action(especially that climax, seriously it was lame as hell) aren't nearly as effective as Avatar 1's(probably the most surprising part considering this is James Cameron).  Also, there's no emotional high point like the 9/11 style tree collapse in the first movie with Zoe Saldana crying over her dead father(there's a moment where they try to replicate this feeling but it comes out of nowhere and almost feels tacked on).  The ending is also too long and drawn out.  Oh too much recycled music.

I'd honestly be surprised if this has near the staying power of the first movie at the BO.  I can put my feelings about Avatar 1 aside and recognize it was very successful in what it set out to do.  This movie however is mostly a slog that feels much longer than its already considerable runtime.

I know some people here won't believe me but I did go into this with an open mind, so much so I even decided to give the 3D a shot(the way Jimbo wants me to see it) and I wouldn't recommend it at all, it gave me a low-grade headache for the first hour before my brain finally got used to it and it adds nothing.

And you expect me to believe you ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

I should probably clarify I didn't hate this movie, its kinda hard to when there is far worse media out there everywhere these days so I'd give it a big C

I can understand someone getting enjoyment out of this because there is some visual imagination on display here and some real actors in it(Lang, Saldana) unlike a certain TV show with an Avatar-sized budget.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, GipJo said:

One criticism I haven't seen mentioned is how little the native language was used in this compares to the first film. Sometimes it doesn't even make sense when they are talking in English. This is another point of how clunky the screenplay is.

This isn't the the place to discuss plot stuff, but they very clearly explain why it's predominately english the audience hears... either you weren't paying attention or didn't watch the movie. There's a reason you haven't seen that criticism mentioned anywhere else lmao. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

I should probably clarify I didn't hate this movie, its kinda hard to when there is far worse media out there everywhere these days so I'd give it a big C

I can understand someone getting enjoyment out of this because there is some visual imagination on display here and some real actors in it(Lang, Saldana) unlike a certain TV show with an Avatar-sized budget.

But Cameron likes that certain show so 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1