Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Decent story as such, but despite that still an unparalleled experience. Suffers from some bad writing, but makes up for it with a warm emotional core, mostly good performances (except for maybe one) & production quality so good I honestly couldn’t believe any of it wasn’t real.

I didn’t find the dialogue at all cringeworthy. This is no Attack of the Clones. It has some serious problems, but I still think everyone should see it. It’s just a spectacle that shouldn’t be missed.

My guess is that the spectacle & the emotional appeal of the story will connect with a wide range of viewers, & that this thing will do very nicely at the box office.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

JC himself says no point to do a sequel unless you can top the original. He failed here both critically and commercially as per reviews and openig numbers.

Funny, because we saw many reactions that said they liked second one better than first one or reactions like Grace Randolph that hated first Avatar but really liked this one. It's already your personal opinion that movie failed critically and commercially while you didn't even watch it, and you don't know what numbers movie will do in long timeframe.  

I feel like the reason reviews aren't as strong as the first movie is because of it being cool to now retroactively like the original less because of lack of pop culture influence and it being less captivating on a small screen where the flaws become more obvious. A lot of the raves and positive reviews the first movie got would now be lukewarm or mixed, and I think critics have been a lot more cautious about being hyperbolic about The Way of Water. Despite me having a similar reaction to the Way of Water as I had watching the first Avatar when I was 12, I would say that A2 is an 8/10, where on first watch of Avatar I would have been straight up 10/10. I can pretty confidently say The Way of Water is a superior film to the first now though. 

Edited by Fanboy
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Pop culture re-evaluated avatar over the years and created a stigma of sorts. Follow up was always going to be looked at harsher, reviews are still fine either way. Public reception is also strong. Not sure what y'all are on about but quality of film isn't really an issue as far as I can tell.

Chill.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LinksterAC said:

Decent story as such, but despite that still an unparalleled experience. Suffers from some bad writing, but makes up for it with a warm emotional core, mostly good performances (except for maybe one) & production quality so good I honestly couldn’t believe any of it wasn’t real.

I didn’t find the dialogue at all cringeworthy. This is no Attack of the Clones. It has some serious problems, but I still think everyone should see it. It’s just a spectacle that shouldn’t be missed.

My guess is that the spectacle & the emotional appeal of the story will connect with a wide range of viewers, & that this thing will do very nicely at the box office.

Managed to watch a late night 2d with the wife. .Man I need to see this in 4dx. .Film is.excellente. There was nothing cringeworthy about the dialogue. Agreed.

Definitely a few moments that could have been better. But this film is a tour de force. Had us in tears all. And this is not even the best version

Crowds were full. And silence with  clapping. Wow the last beats with sully kids and wife. No one does big moments  better than James Cameron. 

But damn Spider why😱😱.

4.8 out of 5 stars. Next stop 4dx and Imax Laser.

This definitely may get best picture. You dont even feel the 3hrs..Cameron and his  team are amazing!

Finally made it to Pandora Kayom, Stewart and heading back for OW2 or 3 the 4dx way.😎😎

I think he cracked the code for that Hat trick!

" Let's get.it done!"

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

But maybe they have. I think people pay attention to them more than the critics. 😅 (Although critics can be vloggers too.)

walk in with wife and saw it in 2d. Wonderful..visually breathtaking. Story awesome a few things  could have been done better but brother definitely bigger story than first. I'm not sure which one I loved better.

Have to see the 3d 4dx version of this. But even in 2d Kayom I give this a 4.8 out of 5. Best film of the year by far over all. Think the best version I'll end up giving it a 5 out 5.

This thing is so awesome visually even in our 2d showing. Wow I wanted to go right back to visit Pandora again. Can't wait to see.the Ow1 and ow 2 nums.now

!

Cameron is back!!

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

walk in with wife and saw it in 2d. Wonderful..visually breathtaking. Story awesome a few things  could have been done better but brother definitely bigger story than first. I'm not sure which one I loved better.

Have to see the 3d 4dx version of this. But even in 2d Kayom I give this a 4.8 out of 5. Best film of the year by far over all. Think the best version I'll end up giving it a 5 out 5.

This thing is so awesome visually even in our 2d showing. Wow I wanted to go right back to visit Pandora again. Can't wait to see.the Ow1 and ow 2 nums.now

!

Cameron is back!!

Great to know you finally saw it! But you need to see this in 3D. You have to.

• Like 1

Liked this, didn't love it. Too much of a greatest hits for the first couple of hours for me to love it, climax is great but not to the same level as the first. Can't deny I was hoping for more after all this time, but I enjoyed it overall. 

3.5/5

PS 3D added absolutely nothing, and gave my gf a headache by the end. 

Edited by SchumacherFTW
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Great to know you finally saw it! But you need to see this in 3D. You have to.

Man the bar of visuals and how to do epic movies is so high now thanks.to Avatar 2. I don't think anyone can top this kind of spectacle, story and music all A class level.

I can't wait for 4dx or imax 3d brother Kayom

This film is freaking outstanding!!

I'll definitely get the travelling to 4dx versionil done!! 👍😉

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Liked this, didn't love it. Too much of a greatest hits for the first couple of hours for me to love it, climax is great but not to the same level as the first. Can't deny I was hoping for more after all this time, but I enjoyed it overall. 

3.5/5

Man 2d version was amazing.to us. I can't wait to see the surround 3D and 3d 4dx version. If it matches Avatars 3D breakthroughs or somehow surpasses that all engaging dream world feeling of 2009(Just wow). I can see some audiences going back for 4-8 visits FTF. I mean we just saw just the 2D almost went back again lol.

Everyone clapping.

Sorry the 3d didn't do it for you guys though.

Seems to add extra wow factor and jaw drops to most moviegoers.

So I'll be taking this ride again in 3D.

Legs are going to be crazy for this. 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

10 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Man 2d version was amazing.to us. I can't wait to see the surround 3D and 3d 4dx version. If it matches Avatars 3D breakthroughs or somehow surpasses that all engaging dream world feeling. I can see some audiences going back for 4-8 visits.

Legs are going to be crazy for this. 

Yes, saw the movie yesterday, and found all those Bad script bad dialogue complains fake, the dialogue is simmilar to Top Gun Maverick, yet people ain't complaining about that one. 

The story was great, plus.... Would be spoiler, but what happened at the fight and what Neytiri did, expand on how these characters are not that black and white, Jake included. Yet people saying is a rehash of the first, they probably feel that way or are probably hating. 

Edited by StreamBO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

3.5/5

Was it HFR? And normal 3D or IMAX 3D?

6 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Yes and IMAX 3D, laser too, so wasn't like we weren't giving it the best possible shot. 

Oof. I have no choice but to watch it in 3D then because almost every good screen has 3D very low 2D screens.