Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

1 minute ago, Sheldon Cr said:

What's funny all the hate and nonsense about black Adam beating avatar guys.

Well they just fired Henry Caville and the rock. And black Adam officially is a disaster. How do like those apples lol

This is Our land!!

ddc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Cinemascore prediction?

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes may have simmered to 79% fresh, however, audience reactions as polled by Comscore/Screen Engine’s Posttrak are through the roof at 5 stars, 91% and 82% definite recommend. They’re numbers any studio would crave. Audience make-up was 89% general, 5% parents, and 6% kids under 12. Men turned out a bit more than women at 59% to 41%. The 18-34 crowd repped 61% of all ticket buyers last night. Those over 45 were 14%. Those under 25 repped 41%. That latter number is potent given how some were concerned how older skewing this property would be. Again, the older Avatar fans will find their way to this movie with the right seat, right format they desire. No one wants to rush to see this sequel and be stuck in a 10 A.M. front seat in 2D. Diversity turnout was 35% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Asian, and 13% Black. These demos will change throughout the weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRISTAN said:

I think Avatar 2 is among the top 4 James Cameron movie

+

visually the most beautiful movie

+

RAISED THE BAR of VFX to whole new level

+

better than Avatar 1 in both visual and emotional aspect

+

all the other movies' 3D is laughable compared to Avatar 2

+

During the whole 3 hours and 12 minutes time of the movie the thought will never occurred to you that this is a fully animated and motion captured movie .... You will simply believe that James Cameron has done it all on camera physically.......⁩

Do you need more from a movie going experience ?

My thoughts exactly Brother Tristan 👍

Btw..Here's Kals top Cameron picks

Titanic

T2

Avatar 2( Hisbmost visceral and Jaw dropping film to date- How does anyone top A2s visual experience-Wow)

Aliens

Terminator

Abyss

Ps..Love Trues lies mind you, but thats not Cameron at his best, but satisfying his need or itch rather  to beat out many a bond  movies.

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Just updating

39 minutes ago, Danhjpn said:

Cinemascore prediction?

Critics on Rotten Tomatoes may have simmered to 79% fresh, however, audience reactions as polled by Comscore/Screen Engine’s Posttrak are through the roof at 5 stars, 91% and 82% definite recommend. They’re numbers any studio would crave. Audience make-up was 89% general, 5% parents, and 6% kids under 12. Men turned out a bit more than women at 59% to 41%. The 18-34 crowd repped 61% of all ticket buyers last night. Those over 45 were 14%. Those under 25 repped 41%. That latter number is potent given how some were concerned how older skewing this property would be. Again, the older Avatar fans will find their way to this movie with the right seat, right format they desire. No one wants to rush to see this sequel and be stuck in a 10 A.M. front seat in 2D. Diversity turnout was 35% Caucasian, 29% Latino and Hispanic, 15% Asian, and 13% Black. These demos will change throughout the weekend.

I suspect that's why we are not seeing that 160-200m ow. Wom is out of this world but folks want to spend their 18-34.00 on the best format. Heck standard  viewing was 22.00-23.00 each here. Ouch! Still good news is millions want to pay marquee prices to see it the right way. So this should be very very leggy, but have some strange days with huge numbers that vary as moviegoers look for their chosen format to experience this all involving master pierce. Had all us all teary eyed at this showing. Bravo JC ! BRAVO

Edited by Sheldon Cr
Editing post

I feel like it's so cliche and boring to say this film LOOKED unbelievable.

But it did. The film earned its massively long production, I'll say that. My worries about feeling like I'm watching a 300 hour video game melted away because you can't help but immerse yourself in the world. You can't really do that in the 2 minutes you watch the trailer.

Also, for all the talk about Cameron's awful writing, he really nails emotion doesn't he? He knows how to craft scenes that cut right to the heart.

Went with my bf tonight and we both walked out smiling. He's up for seeing it again and he usually isn't. So now that we experienced 4DX it's time to book IMAX tickets!

Well done Jim. Looking forward to the Sully family's next chapter in 2024!

P.S. Speaking of Sully family, I just loved the family dynamic in this. Sort of has an Incredibles vibe which is really fun.

Edited by Verrows
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I feel like it's so cliche and boring to say this film LOOKED unbelievable.

But it did. The film earned its massively long production, I'll say that. My worries about feeling like I'm watching a 300 hour video game melted away because you can't help but immerse yourself in the world. You can't really do that in the 2 minutes you watch the trailer.

Also, for all the talk about Cameron's awful writing, he really nails emotion doesn't he? He knows how to craft scenes that cut right to the heart.

Went with my bf tonight and we both walked out smiling. He's up for seeing it again and he usually isn't. So now that we experienced 4DX it's time to book IMAX tickets!

Well done Jim. Looking forward to the Sully family's next chapter in 2024!

P.S. Speaking of Sully family, I just loved the family dynamic in this. Sort of has an Incredibles vibe which is really fun.

Cool wife and I saw the regular version so I'm glad you enjoyed verrows. I'm very excited to see this incredible movie in full experience mode. My wife loved it but didn't like certain rehashing and those dark moments. 

Family and the sully kids wow they really were amazing and the unique hero who definitely going to inspire folks to save the seas and planet.

" Whereever  We go this Family is Our Fortress!"

Verrows I think we are going to get a Cameron enormous multiplier yet again on the domestic and os front.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sheldon Cr said:

Cool wife and I saw the regular version so I'm glad you enjoyed verrows. I'm very excited to see this incredible movie in full experience mode. My wife loved it but didn't like certain rehashing and those dark moments. 

Family and the sully kids wow they really were amazing and the unique hero who definitely going to inspire folks to save the seas and planet.

" Whereever  We go this Family is Our Fortress!"

Verrows I think we are going to get a Cameron enormous multiplier yet again on the domestic and os front.

I hope so Sheldon! If anyone can render tracking and traditional box office rules irrelevant, it's James Cameron.

4 minutes ago, Verrows said:

I hope so Sheldon! If anyone can render tracking and traditional box office rules irrelevant, it's James Cameron.

"lets get it done" as they say

6 minutes ago, Alexdube said:

A cinemascore, same as the first, I'll happily take it

clearly a lot of people really LOVE this movie from the comments I'm seeing, but I can see where it doesn't work for everyone. Did not expect A+

The not work for everyone is being exagerated when 90% likes the movie. Is the Wakanda Forever situation again, that if you search the internet you would think people hated it but got an A near A+ cinemascore with 90% of people liking it. But Avatar unlike Black Panther 2 is not a heavy movie. So Avatar 2 could benefit like the first plus no competition. 

2 minutes ago, StreamBO said:

The not work for everyone is being exagerated when 90% likes the movie. Is the Wakanda Forever situation again, that if you search the internet you would think people hated it but got an A near A+ cinemascore with 90% of people liking it. But Avatar unlike Black Panther 2 is not a heavy movie. So Avatar 2 could benefit like the first plus no competition. 

you mean fan heavy?

i think china's box office is not as pessimistic as it seems as of now. Many people are really afraid of going out and catching covid following the sudden relaxation of zero covid policy. I know that because I live in Shanghai, the biggest city and biggest movie market in China. For example, the past week has seen a significant drop in the number of Shanghai metro passenger volume-see the last four bars in the graph below . It is a really bad time to release AVATAR2 but it is what it is. The good thing is people will eventually go out and watch the movie when the nation go through herd immunity stage. Some of my friends today already asked me how long AVATAR2 will be in the theater because they PLAN to see it at the end of December or after New Year. It is really rare to plan so ahead for a movie. So I guess people want to see it (given the great success of AVATAR1 and great WOM of AVATAR2), but they are just not hurry to see it. Just wait for another 2-3 weeks and we'll see.

n98sb1.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nydedan said:

i think china's box office is not as pessimistic as it seems as of now. Many people are really afraid of going out and catching covid following the sudden relaxation of zero covid policy. I know that because I live in Shanghai, the biggest city and biggest movie market in China. For example, the past week has seen a significant drop in the number of Shanghai metro passenger volume-see the last four bars in the graph below . It is a really bad time to release AVATAR2 but it is what it is. The good thing is people will eventually go out and watch the movie when the nation go through herd immunity stage. Some of my friends today already asked me how long AVATAR2 will be in the theater because they PLAN to see it at the end of December or after New Year. It is really rare to plan so ahead for a movie. So I guess people want to see it (given the great success of AVATAR1 and great WOM of AVATAR2), but they are just not hurry to see it. Just wait for another 2-3 weeks and we'll see.

n98sb1.png 

Yeah the hope right now is that A2 will go on the leggy side with solid drops instead of big opening on current china situation - positive wom is encouraging on that front.

Should stay in theaters until Wandering Earth 2 I would guess. Hopefully can have something akin to JWD which legged out in spite of shitty WOM because of all the reopenings (obviously reopenings are different from current situation though). If it doesn't, though, eh, like...I suppose in this day and age it was lucky to even be given a release and make anything from China at all!

• Like 1

And the WOM in China is great. On Douban (China's IMDB or Letterboxed), AVATAR2 got an 8.3 out of 10. On Taopiaopiao (China's Rottentomato audience score), it got a 9.2 out of 10. For comparison, the horrendus JWD only got a 6.0 and 7.9 on these two platforms but still had a 3x multiplier and a total boxoffice of 150M USD. And JWD did it in strict zero covid policy time.

Spoiler

nnjsnx.jpgnnk272.jpg

ns7eym.jpg

ns7dtb.jpg

Edited by nydedan
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, nydedan said:

n98sb1.png 

I think you're being optimistic really. The first wave is happening in big cities right now, which won't end until at least until early January. It will go worse from here, as the spring festival travel rush hits, smaller cities will embrace the full impact of first wave, and the major movie goers from small cities and travellers from big cities won't go to theaters especially when they're gathering around their elder family members for Chinese New Year. Chinese is very big on family and their safety, I for one will not take the chance to see a movie so that my 80 years old grandma might catch covid from me and possibly dying. I think many Chinese share this sentiment. Unless it got extension through February and March, I have little hope of it recovering.