Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Here's the thing about Avatar 2...People are thinking...oh, it's gonna be more of the same. People aren't gonna care, it didn't really leave a real cultural impact. Blah blah blah. Then, 2016 happens (or do I mean 2024?). And...James Cameron will eviscerate our eyeballs. Movie is going to be incredible. In Cameron I trust. And it's a sequel...I'm expecting the story to take a more interesting dimension. Maybe. Ok, maybe not, but maybe. But Cameron sequels...when you list best sequels of all time, you always end up with Godfather 2 and TWO Cameron movies. It's just a fact.

You also always have two LOTR movies, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, The Dark Knight (and some TDKR), both Toy Stories, Before Midnight and Before Sunset, Multiple Star Treks, Multiple Potter flicks, Spidey 2, both Bourne's, possibly both Indys, Evil Dead 2, multiple James Bond, etc.Many of these share the same director orfranchise or both.Also many still have directors who will direct more sequels. Cameron isn't the only one to do that.

You also always have two LOTR movies, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, The Dark Knight (and some TDKR), both Toy Stories, Before Midnight and Before Sunset, Multiple Star Treks, Multiple Potter flicks, Spidey 2, both Bourne's, possibly both Indys, Evil Dead 2, multiple James Bond, etc.Many of these share the same director orfranchise or both.Also many still have directors who will direct more sequels. Cameron isn't the only one to do that.

Yeah the LOTR sequels are the best in anyway

... that's what makes Cameron Cameron, and I say that in a fond way

Bullshit,,the na vi expressed themselves,with simple words because they had just learned english and they dont over analyze and over psychologize ( I think I made up this one) everything from ten angles like in a fucking Aron Sorkin script.The dialogs of the na vi reflected their simple way of life, that s why simple minded, misimforded and clueless people called the Avatar dialogs weak.
  • Like 2

Bullshit,,the na vi expressed themselves,with simple words because they had just learned english and they dont over analyze and over psychologize ( I think I made up this one) everything from ten angles like in a fucking Aron Sorkin script.The dialogs of the na vi reflected their simple way of life, that s why simple minded, misimforded and clueless people called the Avatar dialogs weak.

I don't think people are referring to the Na'vi dialogue. It's just Cameron's dialogue in general. It's a certain blunt style without a lot of nuance and that bothers some people.

• Like 1

I don't think people are referring to the Na'vi dialogue. It's just Cameron's dialogue in general. It's a certain blunt style without a lot of nuance and that bothers some people.

Cameron went on record saying he was aware about not being the best dialoguist out there but he is far from weak IMO.There are bad lines and simple lines in lots of movies and sometimes dialogs are overwritten like those teenage movies like Fault in our Stars where teens talk about life and death like they are 100yo ents/elders. Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

James Cameron's dialogue has been so bad that it has caused his movies to fail miserably at the box office:

Posted Image

I don't mean anything negative by saying Cameron's dialogue could be better. On the contrary; it adds more of a timeless quality to his movies IMO. It's not bad, but it's not good personally

Cameron went on record saying he was aware about not being the best dialoguist out there but he is far from weak IMO.There are bad lines and simple lines in lots of movies and sometimes dialogs are overwritten like those teenage movies like Fault in our Stars where teens talk about life and death like they are 100yo ents/elders.

I'm not one of those who's bothered by his dialogue. I will say that it tends to work better for blue-collar characters and military grunts. Fortunately, that's usually most of the characters in a Cameron movie. :)

• Like 1

I'm not one of those who's bothered by his dialogue. I will say that it tends to work better for blue-collar characters and military grunts. Fortunately, that's usually most of the characters in a Cameron movie. :)

The voice over of Sarah Connor in Terminator 2 intro still gives me,the chills to this day, that s great writing.
  • Like 2

That s what I like about Cameron movies, his characters are always blue collar or poor so his movies are never pretentious.
  • Like 1