Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

remember folks, Avatar was a novelty and a historic runjust because a sequel will be the same story, characters, Cameron etc doesn't mean the same insane crazy numbers as last time even with 5 years later of rising ticket prices/inflation

Terminator 2? Also everyone said that about the first Avatar and about Titanic. Never underestimate a movie with James Cameron, I've learnt my lesson twice now.

In line with some other movies I previously mentioned (i.e JP->JP2, SW->SW2 etc)

When Avatar had one of the longest runs in history multiplier wise? Don't think so. The problem with JP and SW is that the 2nd of JP wasn't nearly as good as the first and SW the first turned a lot of people off. Avatar had not only gigantic box office grosses, but gigantic home video/dvd/blu-ray sales as well, which shows that it's not a 1 time thing. I'm pretty sure it's nearing 25m units total or closer to 30m sold domestically.

SW and JP weren't bad multiplier-wise either.My point is, they were the must-see sci-fi flicks of their time. A lot of people, who very occasionally go to movies, went to see them.Avatar 2 will have to earn that status on its merit alone. Just being a sequel to a must-see doesn't make it one.

SW and JP weren't bad multiplier-wise either.My point is, they were the must-see sci-fi flicks of their time. A lot of people, who very occasionally go to movies, went to see them.Avatar 2 will have to earn that status on its merit alone. Just being a sequel to a must-see doesn't make it one.

True, but if the quality is there as we must assume it is since James Cameron has made one so-so film in his career, then 500m is a disappointment.

Along with quality, it will also need some novelty factor. I wonder what Cameron is doing regarding that.

He's already planning to do 60 pfs frame rate and improving the 3D, so that it feels even more immersive then the first.Also as tribefan said it's an entire new world to explore, so it'll still seems fresh and exciting. Edited by Mattrek

60 fps? Which camera will he be using?

Not sure, but in an interview he said he was reinventing all the stuff he did for Avatar to make Avatar 2 even better, his visions keep getting bigger and better and he never stops trying to improve the experience, which is why I will always see a film he's made.

But the improvements will still be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

3D was around before James Cameron put it into good use with Avatar, so it was evolutionary as well then by your logic. That doesn't mean he didn't vastly improve the format, which IMO counts as being revolutionary.