Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Cool!  So you must have a clear, falsifiable theory to present rather than more declarative statements and SJW rage.

No need in arguing something we know is right anyways. Its like trying to convince a colour blind kid that grass is green, expect you're not colour blind, you're just uneducated, and a little slow. I mean that in the nicest possible way of course :)

I hope you get better soon though chum.

• Like 1

It's great we've got True Believers in psychoanalysis, but Freud was debunked in the 1970s when, finally, people started looking at his insane claims and finally saying, "Prove it."

Word count of all of my posts here combined < word count of any one of the diehards in the past few pages.

I followed AVTR from 2008 all the way through watching the SE DVD back in late 2010.  I was a hugely interested fan because of VFX (my field), the hype, the box office, and I was between jobs and trying to copy the success of 'Secret History of Star Wars' with a comparable book on Cameron's movies.

So just imagine how surprising it is for me to return to the land of AVTR four years later and see that this hilariously backwards historical revisionism.  AVTR is now being portrayed as some combination of Titanic and MBFGW: just a humble 'lil movie that caught everybody by surprise. 

There is one surprise with AVTR: the degree of its success.  But that was no more of a "surprise" than POTC, TDK, TA or any other Hollywood tentpole that plays to the right of the bell curve.  AVTR wasn't part of a franchise, but franchises hadn't yet taken over and that debit was easily offset by the promise that it was the start of a franchise.  James Cameron's brand name, which has far more clout than that of any leading man, was as much a credit as "from Marvel Studios", and, most of all, the expertly-crafted 3D mystique.

SJWs are outraged that I mocked Cameron for moving to the Whitest-of-Whitey-White Countries in the World, and that I've debunked their bogus historical revisionism with facts....rather than pretending that Cameron really is some Man For the Brown People and just barking declarative statements as "arguments".  Every link I provide proving the insane hype for AVTR elicits more rage, rather than a "Thanks for the info!"

Rage away.  I'm still not going to lie for you.

Anyone have an idea what Avatar's ticket sales were really like? Just curious since it was pretty much 101% 3D tickets and most of them were especially expensive 3D tickets

It was more like 80% if i remember correctly. And if i also remember correctly, studios increased the 3D surcharge somewhere down the line, after Avatar has left theaters.

Edited by Elessar

It was more like 80% if i remember correctly. And if i also remember correctly, studios increased the 3D surcharge somewhere down the line, after Avatar has left theaters.

Then in reality I think it sold more like 80M tickets as opposed to the 95M BOM claims.

Though it likely could be a little higher

Edited by killimano3

Then in reality I think it sold more like 80M tickets as opposed to the 95M BOM claims.

Though it likely could be a little higher

its 75m, this was calculated and debated to death using the best info available back on BOM and everyone settled on 75m

Edited by Ozymandias