Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Hmm. Replacement for James Horner, eh??

I could see Hans Zimmer take a shot at it if possible.

He has scored on epic movies before, and he can still do it again.

I d like Dash's take on this hum ... Horner was the real deal if you know what I mean ...

Ptain, je priais pour que les Chtis ne passe pas devant Iron Jim, la te-hon qu intersidérale que ça aurait été biloute. :wacko:

De toutes façons, les prods avaient bien bourrinés en amont de sa sortie nationale dans le chnord, le bouzin était déjà sorti 1 semaine avant et avait déjà fait genre un demi million d'entrées rien qu'avec les familles de consanguins finis à la bière qui allaient le voir en boucle 24/24. Vive la France!

J'ai boycotté les chtis et j'ai rien fait au bon dieu pour m'infliger une énième daube avec Jacquouille. Intouchables, rien à battre.

loulz, j'ai quand même vu Intouchables au ciné, yavait des zolis sentiments zolis dedans. Et puis je l'ai vu le deuxième jour de sa sortie avant la folie faite autour du bouzin.

Les Ch tits il aurait fallu me payer pour voir ça au cinoche, j'ai fini par le voir, j'ai esquissé un sourire sur une scène.

J'avais ouvert le topic ch tits à l'époque sur mad movies à la suite de sa première semaine démente en mentionnant captain Jim justement .

• Like 1

Hmm. Replacement for James Horner, eh??

I could see Hans Zimmer take a shot at it if possible.

He has scored on epic movies before, and he can still do it again.

Please no Zimmer. Silvestri yes, JNH yes, Steven Price why not? But Avatar 2 needs someone that can write big old school eighties orchestral score with massive choir plus a dash of synth here and there for good measure but no synthetic and loud droning noise, inexistent melodic themes, muddled looped samples to death and new age cheap synths, please.

• Like 1

Please no Zimmer. Silvestri yes, JNH yes, Steven Price why not? But Avatar 2 needs someone that can write big old school eighties orchestral score with massive choir plus a dash of synth here and there for good measure but no synthetic and loud droning noise, inexistent melodic themes, muddled looped samples to death and new age cheap synths, please.

Just read Horner bio, dude was a purist, started piano at 5, classically trained in one of the most prestigious english music school.

He conducted orchestras for all his scores like the all of time greats, Williams, Goldmsith and such.

Recorded the Aliens score in one and a half day because of crazy post production schedule !

Horner was traumatized when he saw the first performance of the first modern piece  he wrote in front of a near empty room.

Cameron and Horner both worked on the same Corman production in 1980, Cameron saying that Horner s score was the best thing about the movie, score being fully arranged and orchestrated, not some synth bullshit.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

Cameron and Horner both worked on the same Corman production in 1980, Cameron saying that Horner s was the best thing about the movie, score being fully arranged and orchestrated, not some synth bullshit.

I've always thought this was an odd comment given how T1, T2 and True Lies were scored.

I've always thought this was an odd comment given how T1, T2 and True Lies were scored.

I love Cameron, great and proficient as a director/writer/concept artist/VFX supervisor/Grade A-ssholic perfectionist but musically wise he doesn't have a good ear and those goddawful schedules make it hard for composers to come up with great thought out material. It's a chance guys like Horner and Fiedel (that pounding 5 beats motif is legendary) could still manage to craft memorable cues considering how Cameron has an habit of crushing the schedule like music for him is almost an afterthought that can be put out overnight.

• Like 1

Cameron and Horner both worked on the same Corman production in 1980, Cameron saying that Horner s was the best thing about the movie, score being fully arranged and orchestrated, not some synth bullshit. I've always thought this was an odd comment given how T1, T2 and True Lies were scored.
When did he say that, exactly? I remember reading that he and Horner had a real bad spat on Aliens that led to them not being on speaking terms for almost a decade, so he may have said that later as a contrition. I mentioned Danna as a possible replacement because his Life of Pi score is in a relatively similar ethnoromantic vein that Horner's was, and I recall Cameron being a pretty big champion of that film. Edited by tribefan695

When did he say that, exactly? I remember reading that he and Horner had a real bad spat on Aliens that led to them not being on speaking terms for almost a decade, so he may have said that later as a contrition. I mentioned Danna as a possible replacement because his Life of Pi score is in a relatively similar ethnoromantic vein that Horner's was, and I recall Cameron being a pretty big champion of that film.

I met him on Battle Beyond the Stars, which was my first film getting a paycheck. I entered as a junior model builder and ended up three months later as production designer, which could only happen on a Roger Corman production. The score was absolutely the best thing about the film. It was a full-on orchestral score, not some rinky-dink synth score. After that I ran into him a few times and Gale Hurd and I, being Corman alums, watched him skyrocketing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-camerons-james-horner-tribute-804563?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_now_2015-06-23%2012%3A28%3A36_ehayden

Danna's a good shout. The Elfman's/Silvestri's/Desplat's/Giacchino's/Zimmer's etc won't be able to commit to six months (or whatever it is) because they'll all have other commitments.

Horner and Elfman were both in contention to score LotR but neither could commit to the schedule.

When did he say that, exactly? I remember reading that he and Horner had a real bad spat on Aliens that led to them not being on speaking terms for almost a decade, so he may have said that later as a contrition.

From what I remember, Horner was frustrated by the extremely short schedule (to say the least) and felt that Cameron didn't treat the final mix well. And Cameron was not exactly Mr. Diplomatic back then. Obviously they reconciled and had a great deal of respect for each other.

From what I remember, Horner was frustrated by the extremely short schedule (to say the least) and felt that Cameron didn't treat the final mix well. And Cameron was not exactly Mr. Diplomatic back then. Obviously they reconciled and had a great deal of respect for each other.

Cameron claims he has mellowed down but I remember reading a testimony of an extra on Avatar for pick ups shoots and yes, it was basically three days of Cameron shouting at everybody !

:D  :lol:

I kid but don t ever mention James cameron to Mary Elisabeth Mastrantonio, what he did to her on the Abyss set was just vile.

Silvestri's (wonderful) score for The Abyss got butchered in the film too. The music in Aliens is an odd mesh of Horner, other Horner music tracked in and even some of Goldsmith's from the original.

I think Cameron tried to extend his control to the music back then. With Fiedel he was composing at a keyboard so it's a lot easier to make last minute changes compared to Horner and Silvestri who were writing for a 100 piece orchestra.

He's gotten better obviously and Titanic and Avatar testify that. What's great though is that music matters in his movies regardless, they tend to be wonderfully mixed. All the drama for the AoU score and in the movie you barely hear a note.

• Like 3

Silvestri's (wonderful) score for The Abyss got butchered in the film too. The music in Aliens is an odd mesh of Horner, other Horner music tracked in and even some of Goldsmith's from the original.

Sounds like what happened with Williams, Lucas, and TPM, right?

Worst thing I heard about Cameron on Avatar was he nail gunned any cell phone that went off on set.

My favorite is Cameron pushing a poor Fox executive in the water tank of The Abyss who was there to see how much over budget and over schedule the movie was.

Ed Harris nearly died on The Abyss too during a diving scene and the whole crew had t shirts with "The Abuse" written on them.

Cameron sets : always great vacation time !

• Like 1

I remember being surprised to learn that Danny Elfman hated how his Batman '89 score was mixed, because it's such a classic. As someone who occasionally records/produces music myself, I can see why that would do his head in.

He had a problem with the Batman Returns mix, I've never heard he had a problem with the first one.

His problem was more of a technical one. The music is very prominent but apparently they type of sounds the effects guys used made a lot of his score blend in. I can't pretend to know the technical details but I own the complete scores for both and pretty much every note was used, if not heard.

He had a problem with the Batman Returns mix, I've never heard he had a problem with the first one.

I'm almost certain it was B'89, but I can't find the interview where he mentioned it now. Apparently it was mixed in the England without his supervision, and he joked about not holding a grudge against the country despite that.