Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

100mil is excessive but i remember at the time on Mojo, most people thought the film would of got to 800mil if it wasn't for Alice taking its screens. Doublejack is delusional if he thinks Alice didn't have any impact, in fact i think the film did very well to gross almost another 50mil after Alice released.

I was one of them. 800M would have happened had AIW not damaged late legs for Avatar.

There's absolutely NO WAY. The week AIW was released, Avatar lost a bit less than 300 theaters, dropping from 2,456 to 2,163. However, the weekly gross dropped substantially from 19.6M to 11.3M. The legs simply ran out. It's not like the two films shared an audience, either. AIW slanted much younger.

Did AIW ding Avatar's final gross? Sure. But not even close to the tune of 100M. More like 20M, maximum. JC is a whack job.

Crazy logic by you. If a movie is dropping in the high teens to low twenties percentage wise and than suddenly drops over 40% something happened. Which was AIW taking away 3d screens and IMAX. Maybe 100M is too high but 800M domestically would have happened. Edited by druv10

I was one of them. 800M would have happened had AIW not damaged late legs for Avatar.

I agree, i'm not sure if it would of got to 850mil as thats just crazy but i do think it would of got to 800mil.as it was barely dropping week to week until Alice released.

100mil is excessive but i remember at the time on Mojo, most people thought the film would of got to 800mil if it wasn't for Alice taking its screens. Doublejack is delusional if he thinks Alice didn't have any impact, in fact i think the film did very well to gross almost another 50mil after Alice released.

Tbh I think the double bill of How to Train Your Dragon and Clash of the Titans did some damage as well. Two straight 50% drops and massive TC losses. Edited by C00k13

I would ignore the AVATAR 4 rumour that Cameron said, even IF he was to make it, it will be many years after 2 and 3. He also mentioned Battle Angel which is what you wanted himself so its still on his mind and i think it will come after 2 and 3.

I honestly don`t see why he couldn`t make something else before Avatar(s). At this point it really doesn`t matter if they come out in 2016 or later. Heck, he`ll have much improved tech to bring his crazy ideas to life. Edited by fishnets

I agree, i'm not sure if it would of got to 850mil as thats just crazy but i do think it would of got to 800mil.as it was barely dropping week to week until Alice released.

No doubt. Avatar had crazy out of this world legs. Great Friday increases followed by even more impressive increases on Saturday. For a movie to get 10x in this era is shocking.

I honestly don`t see why he couldn`t make something else before Avatar(s). At this point it really doesn`t matter if they come out in 2016 or later. Heck, he`ll have much improved tech to bring his crazy ideas to life.

BA would be great but I want Avatar 2 & 3 first and than he can bring BA to life.

Then again we can use the "had X not come out Y would've held better" argument for almost any movie. Eventually a movie even as big as Avatar has to make way for the competition.

Edited by C00k13

That's unrealistic. Movies aren't released in a vacuum, they have to face new competition continually. Also, at some point the demand is exhausted. Those who want to see the movie have done so, and repeat customers start viewing other films. That's the nature of the industry. You can't seriously tell me that more than 3 months after it opened and all of the press it recieved, there were a ton of people who procrasitnated viewing Avatar. I'm not buying it.

The legs ran out, as happens eventually. It's inevitable. There's no way to predict when it happens, and the Avatar run was highly irregular anway. It was nothing more than time running out.

I honestly don`t see why he couldn`t make something else before Avatar(s). At this point it really doesn`t matter if they come out in 2016 or later. Heck, he`ll have much improved tech to bring his crazy ideas to life.

Same for Battle Angel though and seen as though he wants the main character to be full cgi, the longer the wait the better as we are still not close to making a real looking HUMAN in cgi (well she's not human but she's human looking). He can't make anything before 2 and 3, films like that take years to set up and make then the year+ of post production etc, this isn't a Twilight film we are talking about here (no offence Baumer).

Then again we can use the "had X not come out it would've held better" argument for almost any movie. Eventually a movie even as big as Avatar has to make way for the competition.

True but movies like Titanic kept their TC for a long time. This is one of the reasons why I hate comparing movies from different era.
  • Like 1

To early to say. By October 2013 there is now big movies in development than we should worry. You got Sinatra, IAL2, Huntsman 2, 20,000 LUS, Holmes 3 and Tattoo 2 that could open. Maybe not a 1B grosser lock, but LUS, IAL2 could surprise.

Hmm-Sinatra: Scorcese/DiCaprio together again? Why not...-IAL2: prequel or sequel? Smith involved in a way or another?-Huntsman2: really? lol So this SnowWhite girl could give birth to a spinoff character...-20000 LUS: McG or Fincher? Quite opposites on the quality spectre.-Holmes3: so interested by this one. Another duo Avatar-Sherlock could have been fun.-Tattoo2: the biggest "?" to my eyes.No, sorry, i want Avatar2 for Xmas'14.

Maybe he just doesn't want to? I'd hate for anyone to make a film just because they feel like they "have to" do it.

Crazy logic by you. If a movie is dropping in the high teens to low twenties percentage wise and than suddenly drops over 40% something happened. Which was AIW taking away 3d screens and IMAX. Maybe 100M is too high but 800M domestically would have happened.

It would've happened easily. All it needed was a 7 multiplier from its 11th weekend. It was on pace for over $830m. Maybe it would've slowed down a little, but there's no evidence for that. In actuality, blockbuster movies tend to have better holds once they fall to $10-15m weekends. For example, not counting the January expansion, TDK had a 3.96 multplier from its $10.5m 6th weekend - better than its overall multiplier.There's no way Avatar would've missed $800m if exhibitors had heeded Cameron's advice from years earlier and built enough 3D screens to support multiple wide releases.People are misunderstanding what Cameron said. It wasn't the competition (Avatar faced strong competition long before AiW - just look at its brutal 2nd weekend), it was the lack of supply to meet demand. That is why Avatar suddenly went from averaging 15.2% drops to 36.4% drops. It's what kept Avatar from $3 billion worldwide.Its box office was also hurt by a ridiculously premature dvd release. Avatar never fell below a $1,860 PTA before its dvd release, whereas typically blockbusters fall to $1,000 before they are released on dvd. Since studios get a far greater percentage of dvd profits, Fox wanted to fast-track them. Yet even despite the dvd release, Avatar was still in enough theatrical demand to put up strong PTAs in limited release throughout the summer, and continued playing in theaters overseas for at least another year (whether and when its run actually ended is unknown due to a lack of updates).

There's absolutely NO WAY. The week AIW was released, Avatar lost a bit less than 300 theaters, dropping from 2,456 to 2,163. However, the weekly gross dropped substantially from 19.6M to 11.3M. The legs simply ran out. It's not like the two films shared an audience, either. AIW slanted much younger.Did AIW ding Avatar's final gross? Sure. But not even close to the tune of 100M. More like 20M, maximum. JC is a whack job.

Avatar lost all of its IMAX screens and 90% of its 3D theaters to AiW, basically chopping its head off. There is definitely a case to be made that it cost Avatar the 800m milestone. Back then, 3D was a novelty and one of the biggest driving forces behind its insane WOM.

I have a bad feeling about this.In 1997, they failed.In 2009, they failed again but tried even harder.Avatar 2 is going to be the laughing stock of everybody (movie critics, Nikki, geeks etc) for no reason but being made by James Cameron, the arrogant and too clever for tis own good canadian dude who dared to write, produce, edit and direct the 2 most succesful movies of thier respective eras.This will not end well.The movie has the potential to be the most spectacular backlash in the history of movies.The M Night Shyamalan backlash would be a Cinderella story to what could happen with Avatar 2.For reasons I cannot fathom to understand, a lot of people want to see Cameron fail.Call it human nature.

Hmm

-Sinatra: Scorcese/DiCaprio together again? Why not...

-IAL2: prequel or sequel? Smith involved in a way or another?

-Huntsman2: really? lol So this SnowWhite girl could give birth to a spinoff character...

-20000 LUS: McG or Fincher? Quite opposites on the quality spectre.

-Holmes3: so interested by this one. Another duo Avatar-Sherlock could have been fun.

-Tattoo2: the biggest "?" to my eyes.

No, sorry, i want Avatar2 for Xmas'14.