Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

9 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I'm not even sure why I'm asking... but show me your numbers, how that 270m weekend breaks down daily.

I would say a 110m total Friday (including previews)and 90m sat,  a huge Cameron hold  sun 70m.

My prediction for the ow is 220m by the way.

^Damien we got the stats for Cameron's super sequels and epics.  So it you the sws fans that talk out of your tested and lose everytime to Cameron and HP fans. 

Cameron recent multipliers were posted.  You have to be silly to think the most loved film since titanic with a ow of at least 170-220m and a James Cameron multi doesnt have a  shot at 900-1.2b domestic.  And os it's going to destroy Avatar 1. Stats dont lie and personally I'm seeing at2 8 to 10 times.  And in sure many will follow

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 1

Let's get serious though:

Do we really believe (besides Kal) that this will have way more hype among the GA than say The Hobbit 1? The only reason I think it could maybe clear 100 OW at all is because I do believe it will have a fantastic marketing campaign like the first's. But it is going to have to be even better than the first's to renew interest enough to lead to the biggest non Star Wars December OW. Resting on its laurels as simply Avatar 2 will get it nowhere fast. The first is almost a punchline among the GA today. Undeservedly so, since I think people are way too hard on it, but nevertheless that is the way many people view it now. They have their work cut out for them. Thank god Cameron's used to that.

Edited by MovieMan89

23 minutes ago, DamienRoc said:

You can reasonably expect that the film will be well crafted and as close to technically perfect as possible. That's about it this far out.

You can't make any reasonable arguments about the box office potential. This is true for pretty much any movie coming out after this summer. The people saying Rogue One is going to do $500m are talking out of their asses. You guys who are saying Avatar 2 is going to break a billion are doing the same. 

55m units sold ww sir olol.  Over 30 between br and DVD domestically.  On most top 5 to top 10 favorite films list.  James Cameron mega epics are far more of a must watch phenom by general audiences than any sws films.  Cameron sequel and original project support dominates all box office phenoms period. 

Only a natural disaster could cause a Cameron film of this scale and so much fan support to drop off Damien.  Your not being logical with this post.  Last multipliers from his top films alone,  it's almost a lock for improvements in both bo arenas . Though  so much points for massive improvements abroad  especially.  

Obviously avatar has the biggest theoretical domestic and os bo potential of all time.  Just have to go back pages. Bottomline no franchise film ever had such potential box office wise.  Cameron always delivers. 

Edited by Kalel009Shel

7 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I think it's pretty pointless to predict opening weekends before a movie even starts shooting. If you held a gun to my head, I'd say in the 120m range.

Gun to my head 180.

MINIMUM

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

Hobbit 1s OW is the goal. Anything else is great for it all things considered. Ive seriously never even heard these sequels talked about by a single person outside the Internet. I want to know where all the hype is that would lead to a huge opening in December? Again it will hinge entirely on the marketing. 

4 minutes ago, In the Heart of the Tree said:

ohmygod I just looked at Ironjimbo's profile :rofl:

a1441434738810a93b7e249f99966888.png

I don't care laugh at me, I may not be a very good artist but atleast it has heart. Big heart like all Jim films and not lack heart franchise films (TFA).

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 6

Also to TELE.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Jurassic World, Marvel's The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Iron Man 3, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hunger Games, Spider-Man 3, Furious 7, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Iron Man 2, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1, and Shrek the 3rd.

List of films that made more than $120m on the 1st weekend, notice they're all sequels or book adapation with large followings. Avatar was a completely new product with no existing fanbase.

One thing in life you should have learnt is to never doubt Cameron, we are about to see the 1st Cameron blockbuster Sequel and oh my is it going to nuke the box office.