Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

While no one expected $2.78 billion, Armegeddon had made close to 600m world wide 10 years prior. Independance day made 800m WW.

I understand it though, I had it at 1.5b which is still not even anywhere close, I didn't think it could beat Titanic even with inflation. However I never doubted that it would do well.

Here's the thing though about yours and Kal's avatar "predictions". You guys didn't predict it based on trailers or hype or anything. If it had been the EXACT same movie but directed by anybody other than Cameron, neither of you would have boldly thought it would do well. 

• Like 1

I remember people laughing at my AVATAR prediction when TRANSFORMERS: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN opened to big numbers. The same thing happened when THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON opened. I held on to that belief that AVATAR would win the year even after its opening weekend. Then the second weekend happened, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth, the seventh, etc... lol smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I was rooting hard for AVATAR -- I am a Cameron loonie, after all -- but my hope was that it might make 250-300m. :lol: I was pretty doubtful it'd do more than that (and honestly, that would've been a really solid domestic gross).

I was in the 250M bandwagon before it opened.  I was thinking 450M when we got the 2nd w-e numbers...  Still can't believe it grossed 760M.   What a beast.  I still don't get the Internet hate it gets.  Special effects were great, character development was handled well, while the story is not really original, it still connected with a lot of people... 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, langer said:

I was in the 250M bandwagon before it opened.  I was thinking 450M when we got the 2nd w-e numbers...  Still can't believe it grossed 760M.   What a beast.  I still don't get the Internet hate it gets.  Special effects were great, character development was handled well, while the story is not really original, it still connected with a lot of people... 

Yeah, I was relieved when we saw the Friday numbers because that meant it was gonna do okay, at least. First weekend numbers confirmed that, and then as soon as those holiday numbers started pouring in, it was obvious it was gonna do really well. But yeah, that second weekend hold was insane, and (IMO) the first clear indicator that it was gonna be an abnormal beast (as opposed to just another strong Christmas blockbuster).

Guys please specify when you're talking about "domestic" or WW, it's hard to follow.

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

Here's the thing though about yours and Kal's avatar "predictions". You guys didn't predict it based on trailers or hype or anything. If it had been the EXACT same movie but directed by anybody other than Cameron, neither of you would have boldly thought it would do well. 

Is it really so wrong to have trust in someone with overwhelming talent? Afterall James 'Based 'Iron Jim' Jim' Cameron is a Director, Story Teller, Explorer, Pioneer, Writer, Marine Biologist, Engineer, Editor, Artist, Producer, Inventor, Philanthropist, Bar Setter, Record Breaker, Teacher, Visionary, Entertainer, Author, Work Freak, Documentarian, Autodidact, Futurologist, Philosopher, NASA Advisor and Box Office King.

Also the main selling point of the Avatar trailer at the peak of the crescendo was

FROM JAMES CAMERON

DIRECTOR OF TERMINATOR

ALIENS

TERMINATOR 2

TRUE LIES
TITANIC

So it's kind of hard to say we didn't predict the film based on the trailers on hype, but only on James Cameron. When the trailers and hype WERE infact James Cameron.

Just for the record, I am a Cameron loonie as well.  I love his films.  Just because I didn't think Avatar would do a billion doesn't mean I don't love his films.

• Like 4

Does anyone actually believe it's possible that Avatar 2 won't be a better film than the first?

James Cameron filmography,
The Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

True Lies

Titanic

Avatar 4 (The first $1B from 1 region film, thanks to Domestic yuan)

Could this be the greatest filmography of all time?

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

Does anyone actually believe it's possible that Avatar 2 won't be a better film than the first?

The Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

True Lies

Titanic

Maybe Avatar 2 could achieve the goal of earning $1B from China soon

7 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

Maybe Avatar 2 could achieve the goal of earning $1B from China soon

That would be great, December 2018 is when it hits cinema. If Cameron can somehow extend the 1 month period for foreign films he will bring in massive earnings.

34 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

That would be great, December 2018 is when it hits cinema. If Cameron can somehow extend the 1 month period for foreign films he will bring in massive earnings.

Don’t worry about the problem about period.Avatar in 2010 earned ¥850M by 4 weeks(Jan.4-Jan.31).The second highest grossing in China,which was 2012,just took ¥450M for more than 30 days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

True Lies

Titanic

Not even close. Stanley Kubrick is a million times better v

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Not even close. Stanley Kubrick is a million times better v

Meh, been more partial to Hitchcock, personally. I agree Kubrick is a genius behind the camera, but I can only really sit through 2001 once, or the Shining every few years.

Hitchcock always felt more watchable.

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

The Terminator

Aliens

The Abyss

True Lies

Titanic

Spielberg?

Several people usually consider James Cameron's two biggest movies Titanic & Avatar, as perfect films.

Maybe that explains why they got to massive numbers they did. Those 2 films connected with a mass audience. I mean....Titanic won the Oscar for Best Picture, while Avatar was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

24 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Several people usually consider James Cameron's two biggest movies Titanic & Avatar, as perfect films.

Maybe that explains why they got to massive numbers they did. Those 2 films connected with a mass audience. I mean....Titanic won the Oscar for Best Picture, while Avatar was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

Avatar is only visually perfect. Titanic is visually, narratively, and emotionally perfect.

Avatar is spitting at the face of the Human race and says simple people with simple needs are better than the sad homo consumus race we have become with the capitalist system we gleefully enjoy while ravaging everything.

Then basic Avatar detractors say Avatar is liberal because of this.

Cameron ? a liberal ?

Can't you come up with better jokes than this one ?

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Kubrick's movies have no affect, emotion or empathy.

That s why I admire him more than I love his movies.

His films are as cold as the most ancient ice.

You said exactly what I feel and what separates movies I admire from movies I love.

Movies I admire: Nolan's, Kubrick's...

Movies I love: Cameron's, Spielberg's...

It's all about the heart to me. If your movie is all smart and intellectually complex, that's awesome, but if they don't touch audiences emotionally, you have, IMO, an inert, lifeless work of art.

• Like 1