Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

On 29.5.2016 at 3:55 AM, Baumer said:

In your opinion maybe.  But Titanic is the epitome of perfection imo.

Have to quote this. 

TITANIC is THE movie for me. Recently watched it with a live orchestra and it still gets to me.

I really do think that Avatar is a mediocre movie (that has done a lot in terms of technical advance and acceptance though, for sure) and have huge doubts about how much several Avatar movies can carry Cameron's ongoing successes. But that does not stop me from being crazy about this other movie of his. The camp mentality here is just unworthy of the richness of movies (and the people involved). I am sure Cameron - who seems to have no fear to dig into other people's work for inspiration or to collaborate with them - would turn away in disgust.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere

The herd mentality on these boards trashing Avatar is mind boggling to me. 

Avatar was a breakthrough movie in many technical aspects.

Multiple characters, each with their personal character arcs are explored.

A classic story about good vs evil and the hero's journey is handled flawlessly. 

The main critic I still see about this movie is the green lobby agenda, which I understand given how uneducated the general audience is.  It's easier to believe Rush "the expert on everything" Limbaugh than people who actually studied the phenomenon. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, langer said:

The herd mentality on these boards trashing Avatar is mind boggling to me. 

Avatar was a breakthrough movie in many technical aspects.

Multiple characters, each with their personal character arcs are explored.

A classic story about good vs evil and the hero's journey is handled flawlessly. 

The main critic I still see about this movie is the green lobby agenda, which I understand given how uneducated the general audience is.  It's easier to believe Rush "the expert on everything" Limbaugh than people who actually studied the phenomenon. 

on these boards

It's funny because the hatred of Avatar is actually rather tame on here compared to other boards and sites. Although perhaps it should be expected that the highest grossing film of all time gets much less hate on a Box Office forum.

Reddit for example absolutely shits on Avatar every chance they get, it's even worse on sites like IGN.

It became an internet meme that Avatar is just pocahontas in space.

• Like 1

People still use the "it's just Pocahontas Smurfette of Ferngully in Space" line to bash Avatar? Isn't it ironic that the anti-Avatar contingent that still to this day continues the "it ain't original" argument are simply parroting what they heard from other detractors? 

• Like 3

The thing is that they are partially right...but... at this point, almost every movie has a story that can be linked to a similar story already told in the past.  Every genre, from animation to rom-com to horror to thriller...etc.. , nothing is original anymore.  Movies are not original anymore.  Try to find a movie with a completely original story never told in a different media (book, tv, comics, musical, cartoon...etc..).  This is why the originality of the story is a bad argument.    

• Like 2

Originality is overrated anyway. There's only so many ways to tell a story, and if you broaden your strokes enough, there probably hasn't been anything original since Gilgamesh. Even then, I'm sure there were critics chiseling on their clay tablets how much that story was a ripoff of Sargon and the Bear, or whatever.

• Like 2

My problem with Avatar is not is lack of originality but that all the characters are so aggressively archetypal the whole thing feels a bit too much like a vehicle for 3D and effects. Unlike Titanic, it strikes me as a passion project of technology much more than storytelling. And I think this has been reflected in the general response to sequels: people seem curious at best, but hardly desperate to find out what happens next.

That said, it's undeniably intriguing to see how much money they'll make.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

...people seem curious at best, but hardly desperate to find out what happens next.

In large part, it's because in the minds of the public, the projects aren't even formally underway. There's no tidbits of news, no posters, no teaser trailer, nothing. Once some of that is revealed, it's possible people still won't care, but I think we'll see a steady ramp-up in interest, with full anticipation the last couple of months before release.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

In large part, it's because in the minds of the public, the projects aren't even formally underway. There's no tidbits of news, no posters, no teaser trailer, nothing. Once some of that is revealed, it's possible people still won't care, but I think we'll see a steady ramp-up in interest, with full anticipation the last couple of months before release.

Fox will certainly hope so! :lol:

I know the 'cultural legacy' debate over Avatar has been done to death around here, but I have found GA's relationship to The Biggest Grossing Film Of All Time in the years since its release interesting. Cameron seems to have doubled down on calling the doubters' bluffs.

James cameron himself said it was kind of poncahontas in space so it's normal.

Terminator 1 was his only movie "original" and he has never intended to do Nolan type of movies but his own.

Cameron appeals to the mass that his super power so the story has to be simple..... otherwise it will turn off GA away from the movie.

And to all of you that think 3d was the ONLY factor of the 2.8 billions is a fucking retard that does not understand the box office and movie experience.....

I can assure you in france the movie would not do nearly 14 m admissions if it was only 3d.... in plus to be a SF films lol....

2 SF movies did more than 10m admissions SW7 and avatar..... so it has to be something else guys :)

3 hours ago, Bonenash said:

James cameron himself said it was kind of poncahontas in space so it's normal.

Terminator 1 was his only movie "original" and he has never intended to do Nolan type of movies but his own.

Cameron appeals to the mass that his super power so the story has to be simple..... otherwise it will turn off GA away from the movie.

And to all of you that think 3d was the ONLY factor of the 2.8 billions is a fucking retard that does not understand the box office and movie experience.....

I can assure you in france the movie would not do nearly 14 m admissions if it was only 3d.... in plus to be a SF films lol....

2 SF movies did more than 10m admissions SW7 and avatar..... so it has to be something else guys :)

The Abyss?

On 6/7/2016 at 0:17 PM, Cochofles said:

People still use the "it's just Pocahontas Smurfette of Ferngully in Space" line to bash Avatar? Isn't it ironic that the anti-Avatar contingent that still to this day continues the "it ain't original" argument are simply parroting what they heard from other detractors? 

They aren't usually the brightest bulbs in movie fandom either cochofles. So let's choose to mainly put those ferngully and other jealous of Cameron exploits on the ignore button. I'm  not going to be supporting many films and directors less after all the pedophilia stuff being revealed with many execs and top dawgs in the game. I'm so glad Cameron has never been accused or associated to this kind of stuff and hopefully never will my friend. Btw they  are supposed  to be shooting la scenes that will work with the new 3d technology now. So post any leaks you come across cochofles?

Hopefully a good juicy behind the scenes sneak peek is underway for Juggernaut 2018

Edited by Kalel009Shel
  • Like 2