Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

Ah, finally got the answer when T2 3D is coming out. October it is.

Finally, given the excitement around what he’s in San Diego to promote, as well as 3D theatrical releases of “Titanic” (2012) and “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” (this October), going back to the well of his successes is a business prospect not at all lost on Cameron. On that note, he has some good news for fans who have been clamoring for a Blu-ray release of “The Abyss.”

• Like 1

On 7/14/2016 at 5:02 AM, Cochofles said:

1- Not always. Plenty of film sequels increase. Look it up...from TDK to T2 to many others.

2- We are talking about worldwide grosses, which makes it even more likely. Domestically, sure, I could see it decreasing, but worldwide, the chances of it making a tad more that will get it to 3 billion are very high.

3- Sorry, SW8 will decrease domestically too.

I think its locked to decrease OS as well. One 3D is dead. two lots of markets have collapsed. ER at current levels would make increase almost improbable.

Only silver lining is china but the way market is crowded I doubt it will have as leggy run as previous one. But it should increase there quite a bit.

15 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I think its locked to decrease OS as well. One 3D is dead. two lots of markets have collapsed. ER at current levels would make increase almost improbable.

Only silver lining is china but the way market is crowded I doubt it will have as leggy run as previous one. But it should increase there quite a bit.

3D is bigger now then when Avatar came out.

19 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

So three sequels or four?

“The ‘Avatar’ story arc was originally meant to be a trilogy, but I overwrite, and my writers overwrote as well,” Cameron told Variety in an interview. “But basically the first of the sequels cloned itself and became two films, so now it’s four films.

The article linked says it's 4, just a confusing headline.

“But basically the first of the sequels cloned itself and became two films, so now it’s four films."

What does Jim mean by this? Could it be repeating the past using eywa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DAJK said:

No

2009 had approx 3.5k Digital 3D screens in America, 2015 has 16.5k Digital 3D screens.

Sources!
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Avatar 2 has a far more 3D screens to release to in 2018 than it did in 2009. Please don't forget that most 3D films are done poorly as a post-processing tool rather than a key element.

Don't mistake Cameron for someone who falls in the trends of ticket sales, he sets the trends.

Look 2010, the biggest ticket sales of 3D. Why? Avatar. Has a film used 3D properly since Avatar? Just Gravity and maybe one of the transformers.

PART 2, 3D!

Remember 3D sales are now stagnated and aren't dropping as fast as you people think! There are 3D blockbusters a year than ever right now. With Star Wars, Avatar and Comic book movies to come, the 3D market is only going to get stronger.

Avatar directly influences 3D sales, it makes people go watch other films in 3D aswell bumping the yearly stat with Avatar box office.

TiFslRe.png

Here we can see the market peaked when Avatar came out, it exploded in fact, then it's been falling little by little. Thats because everyone has forgotten how good 3D actually is.

mvkk9GG.png

Using complex formula and forecasting algorythms passed down to me by my weatherman father, I have complied a 99% accurate forecast of 3D sales for the next 8 years.

As you can see everytime an Avatar film hits 3D will peak.

The bold is my statement I'm going to stick too, history is on my side.

• Like 2

It's going to be really hard for Avatar 2 to top the original, even OS. Avatar 2 has virtually no chance of making $100m+ in Spain or Russia for example. Market conditions and exchange rates are just too unfavourable. That, and the fact that it won't have the open market place like it had in 2009 since January and February are not the dead months they used to be. Imagine if Alice in Wonderland was released in January rather than March. Avatar would've lost a lot of its 3D screens no matter how well it was doing thanks to Disney's contracts. China is really its best chance here. While $300m is all but assured, I'm not sure it can top $400m there unless it gets a Holiday release like The mermaid.

But then again, it's hard to bet against Jim.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

2009 had approx 3.5k Digital 3D screens in America, 2015 has 16.5k Digital 3D screens.

Sources!
http://www.mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf

Avatar 2 has a far more 3D screens to release to in 2018 than it did in 2009. Please don't forget that most 3D films are done poorly as a post-processing tool rather than a key element.

Don't mistake Cameron for someone who falls in the trends of ticket sales, he sets the trends.

Look 2010, the biggest ticket sales of 3D. Why? Avatar. Has a film used 3D properly since Avatar? Just Gravity and maybe one of the transformers.

3D has been on the decline since Avatar, and even movies that have good 3D still don't re-invent the format. Sure there are odd cases like Gravity, but at this point, theatres are starting to stop putting all their convo enemy show times in 3D. People are starting to get sick of it and they aren't showing up like they did back in 2010.

Avatar 2 won't make 3D a thing again. Rather, it'll use some new piece of technology and bring that into the public eye. It's what Cameron does, not try and re-hash what worked for him last time.

5 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

PART 2, 3D!

Remember 3D sales are now stagnated and aren't dropping as fast as you people think! There are 3D blockbusters a year than ever right now. With Star Wars, Avatar and Comic book movies to come, the 3D market is only going to get stronger.

Avatar directly influences 3D sales, it makes people go watch other films in 3D aswell bumping the yearly stat with Avatar box office.

TiFslRe.png

Here we can see the market peaked when Avatar came out, it exploded in fact, then it's been falling little by little. Thats because everyone has forgotten how good 3D actually is.

mvkk9GG.png

Using complex formula and forecasting algorythms passed down to me by my weatherman father, I have complied a 99% accurate forecast of 3D sales for the next 8 years.

As you can see everytime an Avatar film hits 3D will peak.

The bold is my statement I'm going to stick too, history is on my side.

Loool. Avatar 5. Maybe in 2060.